Play Book Tag discussion

May 2017: 2004 > After Dark by Haruki Murakami 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 86 comments I'm not sure how I feel about this book, it was rather strange, some plot lines were left hanging, and I didn't feel connected to the characters.. At times I thought I was reading YA fiction but some of the critics' reviews implied it was very literary. (I guess those could go together). I sort of felt the author was trying to present one "deeply thought theme" after another and I either didn't get him or just got bored. Maybe Mari's various strange encounters that occurred in the course of one night were supposed to all thread together to a profound revelation for both of us.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I read this last week too but I'm yet to review it. I liked it more than you. I found his writing beautifully descriptive but definitely character driven rather than plot driven. It is the first Murakami I have read. Have you read others?

message 3: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 86 comments Susie wrote: "I read this last week too but I'm yet to review it. I liked it more than you. I found his writing beautifully descriptive but definitely character driven rather than plot driven. It is the first Mu..."

Thanks for the comments Susie. I have not read anything else by this author. It does help to read other readers' reviews and interpretations. Sometimes we need to be taught how to appreciate different writers.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments He seems to be an author that people either love or hate. I'm on the fence but leaning toward the love side I think. I'd like to sample more of his work before making a decision. Too many books, not enough time!

message 5: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I enjoyed 1Q84 (decidedly odd) but was very ambivalent aboutColorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage so am not sure if Murakami will ever rise to the top of the list again. It's that old mantra again - too many books, too little time.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Some day I'm going to get to this author. I swear. I just hope I pick the right title to start with!