What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Snow Goose
This topic is about The Snow Goose
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Celtic setting, young woman, hermit, birds... [s]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rosa (last edited Oct 02, 2017 10:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments I read this book maybe six or seven years ago. I don't really remember when. It had pictures, it wasn't very long, and I think it was by a well-known British woman author. The pictures were in soft natural greens and browns. It was set in a Celtic place, I can't remember which. A little girl moves there--it's an island, I think--and befriends a local hermit, an older man who takes care of birds. As she grows up, they continue to spend time together. And then something supernatural happens--something to do with birds?--the hermit disappears, and the girl realizes she loved him. It's a melancholy story.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32317 comments Mod
Rosa, is this book for children, young adults/teens, or older adults?

Is this a picture book (about 32-48 pages) or a chapter book with mostly words for kids?

Is the hermit one of the saints of Ireland?

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments I believe it's for children--sort of an advanced picture book. The hermit was not a saint, but I believe he was magical.

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Bump.

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Bump

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Bump

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Bump. This may have been a story in a larger work.

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments ...

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Today is my half-birthday.

message 10: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments ...

message 11: by MaWhit (last edited Mar 23, 2018 09:39PM) (new)

MaWhit  (mawhit) | 43 comments Something in Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales perhaps? There's a story with a girl looking for a "Greenish bird" and she meets a hermit who calls birds and other animals by whistling. The author/editor is an English novelist.

message 12: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments I'm afraid that's not it. But thank you so much for responding.

message 13: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments The fairy tale "The Greenish Bird" comes from Mexico, and my story was definitely Celtic. It wasn't a traditional fairy tale, either; at least, I think it was an original story.

message 14: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 15: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4844 comments Were the pictures realistic, full page, etc?
Time period story takes place?
Anything about the cover?

message 16: by Rosa (last edited Sep 16, 2019 12:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments The illustrations were sort of impressionistic, not quite realistic. I think a few were full-page, a few half-page. I remember one illustration of the girl and the man walking side by side. The girl has grown up to be beautiful and ethereal, like a fairy--red- or blonde-haired. The man is white-haired, but they look oddly similar.
I think the time period was the 1950's, or at least sometime in the twentieth century, but I could be completely wrong. It felt like an ancient story set in the modern world. I'm almost positive this was a story in an anthology, but I don't remember the cover.
I remember the girl whispering something like, "Yer my love, _____!" after the man has died or turned into a bird or been taken by the birds.

message 17: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 18: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 19: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Forgot to bump this.

message 20: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 21: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Bump. Merry Christmas!

message 22: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 23: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15786 comments Alyosha's Apple?

The Hermit and Harry and Me?

Couldn't find anything that looked Celtic, though.

message 24: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Neither of those. Thanks for looking, Rainbowheart.

message 25: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments I missed the last bump.

message 26: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments A late bump.

message 27: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments It could have been by someone like Rumer Godden or Joan Aiken.

message 28: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments All I’m sure of is the friendship, the isolated British setting, the illustration, the disappearance, and the realization of love. Maybe it wasn’t birds he took care of. I think it was, though.

message 29: by Rosa (last edited Aug 12, 2019 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments I'm not even sure this was just for kids. It had an adult feel to it, in the way that really good authors never make young readers feel like they're not being told the truth.

message 30: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 31: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine | 141 comments Could it maybe be something by Juliet Marillier? I have only read a couple of hers, but many of her books are supposedly based on Celtic mythology. Just a guess...

message 34: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Thanks, Christine, but I don’t think so. Her stories look too new.

message 35: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 36: by Sam (last edited Oct 22, 2019 08:41AM) (new) - added it

Sam Fldmin | 18 comments When you listed those authors, do you think one of them is the author, or that it is someone similar? They don't have a lot of short story collections listed on Goodreads.
Also- were the pictures drawn or painted? Ex Moss Gown

message 37: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments One of them might be the author. Probably not Joan Aiken. I believe the pictures were watercolor paintings, but I could be wrong.

Bethany | 27 comments Hello! Could this be The Snow Goose by Paul Gallico? Sorry, I can’t tag the book for you as I’m typing this on the mobile app and it won’t let me. It’s on goodreads though. I read this some years ago and don’t remember illustrations but the plot sounds similar. It was set in English marshes and Dunkirk.

message 39: by Rouan (new)

Rouan | 109 comments Here's a link so you can check it out

The Snow Goose

message 40: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1200 comments Great find, Bethany! This edition has a cover picture that might be right - The Snow Goose Or since Rosa said it was in an anthology there's Three Legends

Bethany | 27 comments Thanks Adele! It rang a bell immediately as it was one of my favourite books from childhood. I would be thrilled if it was the right one! The plot definitely sounds similar enough that it could be. Fingers crossed :)

message 42: by Rosa (last edited Oct 25, 2019 09:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Bethany, thank you so much. It is indeed Paul Gallico's “The Snow Goose,” and I reread it today. I didn't reply earlier because I wanted to find the edition with pictures. I couldn't find it, but Adele's suggestion of the picture book looks like it could very well be it. I’ll order it from the library and find out.
Thank you again, Bethany! Reading it again today, it has to be one of the best short stories ever. Period. It’s so beautiful. I was wrong about the female author, but I knew it was by someone whose other work I had read and loved. I guess I thought it was too romantic to be written by a man. Wrong!
Thank you for finding that edition, Adele! I was worried that only half the mystery had been solved (the more important half, but still) and I’d stay frustrated. I couldn’t find an edition with pictures on the Internet Archive. I’m so glad you found that one!
I’m so glad that thanks to you, Bethany, I was able to revisit this classic. I’m sorry I kept you waiting for my confirmation.
Thanks to everyone else who helped.
Love!

Bethany | 27 comments Hi Rosa, you're welcome and I'm so happy that was the right book!! And I'm absolutely thrilled you have reread it and enjoyed it as much as before. It's one of my old favourites, so I'm happy to spread the love! I hope the illustrated one is how you remember it!! <3

message 44: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15786 comments Yay, another mystery solved!

message 45: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa | 12 comments I'm glad this one was solved. My interest was piqued by the description, and if I can find it may read it myself. :)

message 46: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1200 comments I'm really glad it was the right story too! Not to muddy the waters, but if that book happens to not be the right version, I also found this illustrated edition, though the cover picture did not fit as well with my interpretation of your description of the pictures: The Snow Goose The Snow Goose by Paul Gallico

message 47: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1200 comments You can see pictures from inside my first guess here: http://www.bethpeckillustrations.com/...

And you can see the pictures inside the second picture book here: https://youtu.be/xdR9FdmjhdA

message 48: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa | 12 comments Thank you for the links to the illustrations Adele!

message 49: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments You did it again, Adele! After watching the video, I am now sure that The Snow Goose illustrated by Angela Barrett is my book. I’ll go and tell the mods.
Thank you so much!

message 50: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1200 comments You're very welcome!

« previous 1