Horror Aficionados discussion

Coolest ghost tours

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 84 comments Share your stories!
Which ghost tours have you done and did anything supernatural happen?

I took part in a great one in the Prague old town. There is some serious messed up history there and we got some really active orb photos at a particular spot.

I did another one at Boggo Rd Gaol in Brisbane, Aus.
Again, it has a seriously dark history. Nothing particularly supernatural happened but the feeling of being inside there on a full moon, on Friday the 13th was pretty horrific.

message 2: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6473 comments I've only ever been on one ghost tour. It was along the River Walk in San Antonio. It started out nice but quickly turned into the Zak Bagans of ghost tours. Ghosts everywhere! The history part was cool but after a while it started sounding horribly exaggerated.

Columbus, TX (population 3655) has a cemetery tour they do every fall as a fundraiser for their public library. Its called Live Oaks and Dead Folks. The tour has predominately been at the Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery that dates back to the Civil War. Actors will set up on select graves and portray certain memorable people from the area. The tour is done by moonlight and owls have been known to chime in just to add atmosphere. It is not at all creepy and has been great fun.

message 3: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 80 comments Ghost tours in New Orleans are great. I had a guide from Iowa that used a faux British accent. The guide was superb. We saw the infamous La Laurie house--a haunted house of legendary proportions, credited with ruining Nicolas Cage's acting career.

There are plenty of other haunted sites in New Orleans, too. There's the square where slaves were tortured and killed by having critters eat them alive while tied to stakes... a square still haunted and locals avoid after midnight.

And after you finish getting your scare on, you can go drink it off on Bourbon street!

Ghosts stay alive by invading your fears.
You get a good scare, a fine tale, and some cool brews.

Win-win.

message 4: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 80 comments Oh, and I should add that Richard Simmons is from New Orleans... just in case you thought nothing scary ever came out of that city.

message 5: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6473 comments J.N. wrote: "Ghost tours in New Orleans are great. I had a guide from Iowa that used a faux British accent. The guide was superb. We saw the infamous La Laurie house--a haunted house of legendary proportions, c..."

I've always wanted to do the tour of the Saint Louis Cemetery in New Orleans. Would love to hear about Marie Laveau.

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments I've been to two.
One was local, but it is good and quite popular. This year is the 20th anniversary. The guy who runs it, Dale Jarvis has written a bunch of books on Newfoundland stories and legends.
http://www.hauntedhike.com/

The other was in Edinburgh, Mary King's Close. It's apparently very haunted, according to Wikipedia. The tour did have a few ghost stories, but even more plague stories. It was definitely interesting. Lots of stairs, and merchandise.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments They have fun ones in St. Augustine, Florida.

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6732 comments I took a walking ghost tour in Salem one year I was there. Nothing spooky happened but it was a decent tour.

message 9: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Bowling I'm going to do a night ghost tour at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado next weekend! Hopefully I'll be able to get back to you all with something spooky.

message 10: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10650 comments Mod
I've been on a ghost tour in Savannah, Georgia and in Key West. I've also been to Bonaventure cemetery in Savannah. Nothing spooky happened on any of them but they were interesting. I LOVE Savannah and Bonaventure is beautiful. we certainly do not have cemeteries like that here in Tennessee and it's really quiet a shame.

message 11: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 84 comments Latasha wrote: "I've been on a ghost tour in Savannah, Georgia and in Key West. I've also been to Bonaventure cemetery in Savannah. Nothing spooky happened on any of them but they were interesting. I LOVE Savannah..."

Ohhh I dunno, I don't think you're looking hard enough.
The book I'm reading at the moment is based around the Body Farm at the University of Tennessee.
I reckon if you spend enough time there in the dead of night you might make some spooky friends haha

message 12: by Latasha (new)

Baz wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I've been on a ghost tour in Savannah, Georgia and in Key West. I've also been to Bonaventure cemetery in Savannah. Nothing spooky happened on any of them but they were interesting...."

lol! maybe. :)

message 13: by Saytchyn (new)

Saytchyn | 11 comments Hi Meghan,

Let me know if anything happens at the Stanley. I took some great orb photos there.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6732 comments Meghan wrote: "I'm going to do a night ghost tour at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado next weekend! Hopefully I'll be able to get back to you all with something spooky."

That sounds awesome, you'll have to let us know if you see anything.

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 34 comments We did the night tour of the Hobart Courthouse in Tasmania.
It started out pretty well, but I have to admit to being bloody scared by the end of it! Either it was our tour guide, or god knows what, but it was by far the scariest tour I've ever done. No made up atmospherics or anything like that, I think the venue itself was bad enough to make your skin crawl!

message 16: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 84 comments Kirsten wrote: "We did the night tour of the Hobart Courthouse in Tasmania.
It started out pretty well, but I have to admit to being bloody scared by the end of it! Either it was our tour guide, or god knows what,..."

Tazzie would be the perfect place for a ghost tour! So many beautiful old buildings with such a dark history.

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments J.N. wrote: "Ghost tours in New Orleans are great. I had a guide from Iowa that used a faux British accent. The guide was superb. We saw the infamous La Laurie house--a haunted house of legendary proportions, c..."

Totally agree! We've done 3 or 4, and some have been better than others, but all have been entertaining. We actually did a haunted pub crawl once that let us get going on the drinking even before the tour was done, so that was nice. :-)

message 18: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 1388 comments The haunted pub crawl sounds like fun. Were the libations covered in the tour price?

message 19: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 84 comments Bet there were plenty of spirits on that one... haaaa

message 20: by Kathy (last edited Jun 12, 2017 08:17PM) (new)

Kathy  | 40 comments I have done a lot of ghost tours (Stanley hotel, Savannah, New Orleans, Williamsburg) mainly for the odd history tales and the story telling but nothing eerie has happened. My most strange encounter was in North Carolina while hiking through an abandoned cemetery with my nephew. The cemetery was in the middle of the woods in Halifax, NC, a town that had over 1,000 residents in the 1700s but is now down to less than 300 people. We were talking about what a neat project it would be for a local scout group to restore the cemetery. It was a hot, sunny summer day. My nephew was taking lots of pictures. When he got home, he forwarded the pictures and every one was covered in fog from the level of our waist down to the ground.

message 21: by Latasha (new)

Wow!!!

message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments J. wrote: "The haunted pub crawl sounds like fun. Were the libations covered in the tour price?"

I don't believe they were, if I remember correctly.

message 23: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments When I was a teenager my parents and I went to Salem and went on a ghost tour. It was pretty cool. We got to take pictures of course. We were shown the house where the first woman accused of witchcraft stayed at, Bridget Bishop. We were taken to the oldest cemetery where Giles Corey was stoned to death. We didn't catch any spirits on film but it was a fun and informative tour.

message 24: by Alan (new)

Alan | 4516 comments Mod
I visited New Orleans earlier this year and went on two tours - a day haunted/cemetery tour and an evening haunted French Quarter tour. Got lucky with two very good tour guides and had a blast.

message 25: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) The Edinburgh ghost tour I did a few years ago goes into the ancient subterranean vaults below the city and tells you stories by candlelight. Well worth trying for the atmosphere.

message 26: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I'd love to go to New Orleans

message 27: by Alan (new)

Alan | 4516 comments Mod
NO was wonderful. I'd love to go back. Beignets *Drool*

message 28: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments :D

message 29: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (murrongrimm) | 3 comments There are several ghost tour options in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. We went on the Haunted Waterfront tour and it was fantastic! Roxie is a phenomenal tour guide who really knows her history. Nothing supernatural happened on our tour evening but the drizzle and fog certainly added to the atmosphere! Portsmouth is such a neat place.

message 30: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 898 comments If you are in the UK guys and gals, do the Epping Forest ghost tour. Its excellent and only £15.

message 31: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I'd also love a ghost tour of old places in Chicago where the mob was. That would be pretty cool.

message 32: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6732 comments I'd love to go to Gettysburg, it's on my bucket list.

message 33: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Erin wrote: "I'd love to go to Gettysburg, it's on my bucket list."

Ooh Gettysburg would definitely be good! I'd be disappointed if I didn't see or hear anything..this coming from someone whose never seen or heard a ghost so coming from me that's something!

message 34: by Cujo (new)

Cujo (deadtimestories) | 16 comments Justin wrote: "Erin wrote: "I'd love to go to Gettysburg, it's on my bucket list."

Ooh Gettysburg would definitely be good! I'd be disappointed if I didn't see or hear anything..this coming from someone whose ne..."

I live in Gettysburg and have spent hundreds of hours on every part of the battlefield and have yet to see or hear anything. To anyone who wants to come on a ghost tour here, DON'T. Save your money because you won't see or hear anything either. Why? Because the NPS shuts down the battlefield at 10pm and anytime before that, it is crawling with people. . Not only that, the ghost tours are not allowed on the battlefield itself anyway and pretty much tell you "camp fire tales" as you walk the streets....On another note, all the ghost tour groups here hate each other and will actually vandalize each other's equipment and vehicles. The year I moved here, I heard one ghost group slashed the tires on another's tour van, leaving a whole group of tourists stranded down by Sach's bridge. Funny stuff

message 35: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6732 comments That's crazy. Why do they hate each other so much?

message 36: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 898 comments Doing a tour and overnight vigil at Colchester Castle on Saturday 29th June. In the castle till 4 am. Then the missus and I are staying in the most haunted hotel in Colchester afterwards.

message 37: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 1388 comments Steve wrote: "Doing a tour and overnight vigil at Colchester Castle on Saturday 29th June. In the castle till 4 am. Then the missus and I are staying in the most haunted hotel in Colchester afterwards."

Do you mean this Colchester Castle?

https://colchester.cimuseums.org.uk/v...

message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6732 comments If that's the place, it looks amazing.

message 39: by Cujo (new)

Cujo (deadtimestories) | 16 comments Erin wrote: "That's crazy. Why do they hate each other so much?"

To much competition in to small of a space for one thing. There are 3 big ghost tours 2 of which are run by local authors and the other is owned by the same group that owns the orphanage that was featured on Ghost Adventures. Then there whole bunch of small "fly by night" type groups. The 3 bigger ones are legit businesses and rent store fronts down. The 6 or 7 smaller ones set up card tables in the tourist district and jossle each other for patrons and it escalates from there. They can't compete with the "big 3" so they just try to run each other out of business

message 40: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 20 comments My wife and I have gone on a few ghost tours but the best one was the ghost tour of the abandoned penitentiary in Jefferson City, MO.

https://www.missouripentours.com/tours/

There was a small group of people on the tour who had been drinking and and were being obnoxious. At one point, we go into a basement area of the prison where people sometimes hear strange sounds. The tour guide turns the lights out and tells everyone to be quiet.

It is at this point where my stomach decides to growl. Loudly.

One of the drunks said "Oh my God! Did anyone else hear that?"

My stomach growled again.

"There it was again!"

My wife elbowed me and whispered "Don't say anything."

The lights go back on and the drunk told the tour guide about what he heard. It was a good time.

message 41: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 898 comments J. wrote: "Steve wrote: "Doing a tour and overnight vigil at Colchester Castle on Saturday 29th June. In the castle till 4 am. Then the missus and I are staying in the most haunted hotel in Colchester afterwa..."

Yes J it is this one. I only live 20 miles away and we have always wanted to do a ghost hunt/tour and overnight vigil here. I hope its as good as the excellent Epping Forest one. That was very creepy as loads of battles, murders and a large asylum fire..

message 42: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 301 comments Dan wrote: "It is at this point where my stomach decides to growl. Loudly...."

My wife elbowed me and whispered "Don't say anything."..."

Dan, are you SURE it was your wife who said that?

message 43: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6732 comments Cujo wrote: "Erin wrote: "That's crazy. Why do they hate each other so much?"

To much competition in to small of a space for one thing. There are 3 big ghost tours 2 of which are run by local authors and the o..."

Doesn't seem like good business practice. They should be focusing more on giving their customers a good tour then sabotaging each other.

message 44: by Cujo (new)

Cujo (deadtimestories) | 16 comments Erin wrote: "Cujo wrote: "Erin wrote: "That's crazy. Why do they hate each other so much?"

To much competition in to small of a space for one thing. There are 3 big ghost tours 2 of which are run by local auth..."

I completely agree. Sadly the people who run the smaller groups have little to no business or common sense.

message 45: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I’m going to Waverly Hills Sanatorium in August for their haunted tour! Super excited! Hopefully I’ll have a ghost story to tell afterward. I’ve actually been looking for books on the place, but sadly my library has none.

message 46: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6732 comments jb wrote: "I’m going to Waverly Hills Sanatorium in August for their haunted tour! Super excited! Hopefully I’ll have a ghost story to tell afterward. I’ve actually been looking for books on the place, but sa..."

Amazon looks like they have some: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=waverly+hi...

If you have a Kindle, it looks like some books are available through there as well.

message 47: by Cujo (new)

Cujo (deadtimestories) | 16 comments While not an "official" ghost tour, I would love to explore/poke around Leed's Point NJ.