Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Bone People
This topic is about The Bone People
Archives > The Bone People, by Keri Hulme

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments For week 34, a book set or written by an author from the Southern Hemisphere, I'm reading The Bone People by Keri Hulme.

In a tower on the New Zealand sea lives Kerewin Holmes, part Maori, part European, an artist estranged from her art, a woman in exile from her family. One night her solitude is disrupted by a visitor—a speechless, mercurial boy named Simon, who tries to steal from her and then repays her with his most precious possession. As Kerewin succumbs to Simon's feral charm, she also falls under the spell of his Maori foster father Joe, who rescued the boy from a shipwreck and now treats him with an unsettling mixture of tenderness and brutality.
Out of this unorthodox trinity Keri Hulme has created what is at once a mystery, a love story, and an ambitious exploration of the zone where Maori and European New Zealand meet, clash, and sometimes merge. Winner of both a Booker Prize and Pegasus Prize for Literature, The Bone People is a work of unfettered wordplay and mesmerizing emotional complexity.

I just moved to New Zealand and wanted to read more local authors anyway, but I joined a book club IRL to make some friends (best idea ever) and in next month's meeting we're going to discuss Kiwi and Aussie authors, so I had to get some reading done ;)

Thanks to GR Listopia, I found a list of kiwi books and I started with the first one!

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I'm reading it slowly and savoring it because I really like it!

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Anastasia (new) - added it

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments It sounds perfect for the Around the World challenge. Finding books that includes culture and written by authors who live in a certain country can be difficult.

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I totally agree Anastasia, they're not easy to find!

Kathy | 2216 comments This book sounds really good. I'm adding it to my TBR.

Kathy | 2216 comments I read this for week 9, a book with a body part in the title. I can see why this book won an award. It's written in such a different way - sometimes 3rd person, sometimes from the point view of Kerewin, Simon or Joe - the main characters. There is magical realism too mostly from the spiritual beliefs of the Maori.

You're right, Sophie, (view spoiler)

I loved the book and rated it a 4. It would have been 5, but I simply couldn't understand everything that happened at the end of the book. It'd be a good book club discussion book.

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 152 comments Finished this one after a year! I'm counting this towards Week 15: unique writing format/structure. Hate to say I wasn't a fan like you guys... too much domestic violence maybe? And I must be a simpleton, because I really did not enjoy the prose all that much...

My review here.

Pamela | 626 comments I read this in 2019 for Week 1. 20. A book featuring indigenous people of a country

What an amazing book- how she tells the story. And what she created, And how she makes us care for such deeply flawed (and worse) people. I feel like we have been in their world.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Bone People (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Keri Hulme (other topics)