What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Romance involving treasure hunt. Spoiler ahead... [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eileen (new)

Eileen (ecds) | 5 comments Romance novel, most likely released either late 80s or early 90s. Single woman who befriended an older wealthy lady is named in the will after she passes away. She is left her house, and the older lady's money grubbing family are upset about this, but also more interested in the money which has yet to be divided. The older lady created a scavenger hunt for the girl to complete. And if she can solve the series of clues, she will win all the money in the inheritance. If not, the money will be divided equally among the surviving relatives. Falls in love with a neighbor with a French (or maybe Italian) sounding name. The final clue was hidden in the spine of the novel Great Expectations.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32268 comments Mod
Eileen, what's the time period and location(s)/country of the story?

Can you tell us more about the heroine and hero - their jobs, interests/skills, family/friends, etc.?

Added a spoiler alert to the topic header.

message 3: by Eileen (new)

Eileen (ecds) | 5 comments Sorry, I should have included spoiler in the title.
I can't remember much about the heroine's details unfortunately. She did not have any immediate family, which I think is how she became friendly with the elder lady. They each served as the other's surrogate family.
I do remember some of the clues from the treasure hunt.

As she is moving into her newly inherited home, she discovers a letter written on the inside of a paper lampshade. The letter addresses her, outlining the terms of the treasure hunt and that she has a limited time in which to find the treasure (which I believe was a locket). If she is unable to find it, the treasure will be divided equally among the family. A lot of the clues are based on the older lady's hobbies and interests.

She finds one of the clues in a salt shaker, one in a paper mache egg.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Is this a contemporary or historical romance?

Does the hero seem to be a friendly or suspicious character at first?

message 5: by Eileen (new)

Eileen (ecds) | 5 comments Contemporary romance. Hero is friendly, but as she is wary of everyone in the family, she is also wary of him. She thinks he is also after the treasure. Despite that, they are immediately attracted to each other.

message 6: by Kris (new)

What's the tone - romantic, angsty, funny, steamy, etc.? Is this a cozy mystery?

Location - U.S./England/country, region, big city/small town?

Can you tell us more about the heroine and hero - their jobs, interests/skills, family/friends, etc.?

message 7: by Eileen (last edited May 21, 2017 01:09PM) (new)

Eileen (ecds) | 5 comments Romance, there are some love scenes, but not steamy. Funny, and mystery-lite. I don't remember much about their heroine's job. She doesn't have family. The hero I think is a lawyer. He was not present for the reading of the will but shows up after she's moved into the newly inherited house for the meet cute. The older lady who passed away liked to play cards and had a jar of coins that she used. On one of their dates the hero and heroine play poker, and she brings the jar of coins to use in their game. If I remember correctly there was a clue hidden in the jar of coins. If he wins, she has to spend the night. She has what she thinks is an unbeatable hand, and goes all in with her jar of coins and of course, loses.

message 8: by Ayshe (last edited May 22, 2017 11:02PM) (new)

Ayshe | 4121 comments Riches to Hold by Christine Hella Cott? Searching inside the Google book: https://books.google.com/books?id=PRY... shows there is something about Great Expectations.

message 9: by Eileen (new)

Eileen (ecds) | 5 comments Omigoodness, that's IT! Thank you so much!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Riches to Hold (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Christine Hella Cott (other topics)