Play Book Tag discussion

Little Deaths
This topic is about Little Deaths
Archive: Other Books > Little Deaths by Emma Flint- 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments I'm not sure if my expectations were skewed- or if this really just was boring. But unfortunately, this only gets 2 stars from me. I had to slog through the audio, and the book really just wasn't what I was expecting. The premise is a single mother's two children go missing and wind up being strangled 10 days later. The police are quick to judge Ruth based on her "loose" morals and lifestyle. A rookie reporter, Jack becomes obsessed with the case, then Ruth. The book ends with the court case and trial of Ruth being committed to killing her own children. None of this is spoilers, it's all revealed quickly.

Here's what the book did right
-Good premise
-The writing was nice. You can tell she actually is a good writer
-Ruth's perspective. If the whole book was set around Ruth's perspective, her thoughts, her mind, her point of view- this could have been a stellar book.
-There's no "reveal" of how the court case ends, but the book does build suspense and reveals at the end what actually happened- and how Ruth takes this news, and reacts.

Here's what the book didn't do right (in my opinion)
-Mixing elegant writing with a noir vibe- the two never meshed well
-The book was set in the 1960's, but felt too current- the descriptions, mannerisms, everything felt like modern time (except the lack of investigation rules/tools), and I had to remind myself it was supposed to be the 1960's.
-Too many offshoots- this had an astoundingly low page count of 304, but there were so many unnecessary side stories, ongoing descriptions (view spoiler), and tertiary characters I didn't care about.
-The majority of the book was from a different perspective- Jack the rookie reporter was obnoxious, and I wanted more of Ruth.

I was hoping for a "unreliable narrator" of what can we trust, what can't we trust, and revealing things as the book went on. I felt if the book was entirely narrated by Ruth with this kind of twisting and revealing the book would have been much more successful.

I didn't know this was based off a true story until I was about halfway through with the book. I read up on Alice Crimmins (the real Ruth), and the stories, reports, and articles on her are so much more interesting than this book was. So much lost potential in what this book could have been!

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments That's too bad. I was just about to start this. I saw the author at book expo and she talked about the book. It sounded interesting

message 3: by Joi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments I thought it sounded super interesting also :(. But you never know, there are a lot of rave reviews on Goodreads who gave this 4-5 stars!

Despite the fact that I didn't like this, I still thought the author's writing was well done, so I'd give another of her books a chance if she writes more.