Bookish Kingdom discussion

Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #1)
This topic is about Prisoner of Night and Fog
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Reads > BR Prisoner of Night and Fog, May 20 (2017) ~ Ended

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ayla (last edited May 19, 2017 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ayla (goodreadscomayla) | 655 comments Mod
This buddy read will start on May, 20 (2017) and end on May, 27 (2017)

We'll read 50 pages a day.

Participants:
Hayli
Ayla

Schedule:
Saturday May 20 - read till page 50
Sunday - read till page 100
Monday - read till page 150
Tuesday - read till page 200
Wednesday - read till page 250
Thursday - read till page 300
Friday - read till page 350
Monday - read till page 401

Page 50/401

Gretchen appears to be already completely brainwashed by her 'Uncle Dolf'. I'm curious to see if she'll decide to turn against him. I'm also wondering if Hitler truly means the words he is saying to her, or if he's planning on using her in some way.
The story is OK until now, but there are a few things I noticed.
(view spoiler)

I must admit I'm in a reading slump, but I'm curious to see what Gretchen will do next!

message 4: by Hayli (new)

Hayli | 93 comments Page 50/401

Yes, Gretchen does appear to be brainwashed by 'Uncle' Dolf. It was mentioned that he had once told her that "a girl's mind was made of wax and needed to be molded into its proper shape" (p27). After reading that quote again, it makes me question whether Uncle Dolf has other "nieces" that he treats like Gretchen, all the while molding their minds. And I imagine that he will somehow use her in someway for his own gain. Why else would he treat her the way he does? (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

I have to admit that I'm not really into this book yet, but I hope that I can soon. And I too am curious to see what Gretchen will do next.

message 5: by Ayla (last edited May 22, 2017 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hayli wrote: "Page 50/401

Yes, Gretchen does appear to be brainwashed by 'Uncle' Dolf. It was mentioned that he had once told her that "a girl's mind was made of wax and needed to be molded into its proper sha..."

I agree with the things you said! (view spoiler)

I noticed you were a little behind on schedule, so I didn't read till page 100 yesterday. Is it okay for you to read till page 200 tomorrow, or do you want to read till page 100 or 150?
I will read till page 100 today and wait for your update :)

message 6: by Hayli (new)

Hayli | 93 comments Ayla wrote: "Hayli wrote: "Page 50/401

Yes, Gretchen does appear to be brainwashed by 'Uncle' Dolf. It was mentioned that he had once told her that "a girl's mind was made of wax and needed to be molded into i..."

Yeah sorry about that. :( Friday ended up being a busier day than I thought it would be.
I should be good to read to 200 for tomorrow! If that works for you. :)

message 7: by Hayli (new)

Hayli | 93 comments Page 100/401

One of the reasons why it has taken me this long to read to page 100 is because I'm just not feeling this book. I don't know I'm just really bored with everything going on so far. I just really hope that I start to get into it because we are at the 25% point and I just don't really care about anything that's happening at this point.

I will say though that Gretchen's brother Reinhard makes me really uneasy. He seems like a huge creep and just... I don't know. There's something off about him. He seems pretty emotionless and I could see him killing someone and not feeling any remorse. Like an actual psychopath. But Gretchen has been hinting since very early on that Reinhard does things to her and I can't tell if it's just these 'pranks' or if there is something more sinister going on.

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Ayla (last edited May 25, 2017 02:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Page 100/401

I get what you mean. I feel kind of the same as well. Most parts have been kind of boring until now. I am interested in reading the parts where Cohen shows up though. He seems like such an interesting character. There are some elements that are still mysterious to me, which I like, but some descriptions are a bit too long in my opinion.
Maybe the story will pick up, now that we've reached Part Two!

(view spoiler)

150/401

This is so incredibly upsetting...

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Ayla (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just noticed my edition is only 374 pages long... (instead of 401)
Which edition do you have, Hailey? We might have to alter the reading schedule then :)

message 11: by Hayli (new)

Hayli | 93 comments My edition stops at 389 without the author's note and 401 with the author's note and selected bibliography.
Would you maybe want to try to take chapters from the book instead of page numbers? Like, chapters __ to chapters __ kind of thing?

message 12: by Ayla (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hayli wrote: "My edition stops at 389 without the author's note and 401 with the author's note and selected bibliography.
Would you maybe want to try to take chapters from the book instead of page numbers? Like,..."

Okay!
There are 44 chapters and I'm almost finished reading chapter 20.
Shall we read 5 chapters a day, from now on?

Sorry for my late response... :(

message 13: by Hayli (new)

Hayli | 93 comments Sure, sounds good! :)

message 14: by Ayla (new) - rated it 3 stars

Okay! I'll wait for you to update till page 150, so we're on the same page. Then we can start reading the 5 chapters a day :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.