Book Snails Book Group discussion

Social > Time of the Season: What do you love about Summer?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
What do you love about the Summer season? (I do realize it's not Summer everywhere!)

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 124 comments Summer means out of school and that equates to more reading time. The high school reading list is out with book recommendations and I try hard to read those so that I can recommend books to the students. I like to take the fifth wheel out and spend time with camping friends, maybe visit a new winery or brewery, see some historical sites, and relax. I would like to be able to sit on the front porch and read in the mornings. This year I am going to work hard to purge stuff from my basement like crafting supplies (if I can get the basement done, it will be huge for me). The kids are graduated so we do not have to worry about projects and such. Just need to have a huge garage sale and downsize some. My goal is to have more empty space.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Summer is my favorite season, besides autumn! I'm a summer baby, so celebrating my birthday is always fun, because there's so much to do! My grandfather's birthday is on the 4th of July as well, so that's always a HUGE celebration, and my uncle's birthday is 3 days before mine, so July always ends up as a celebratory birthday month for us!

Work is nice, too. The library I work at is for a university, so it's get really slow in the summer, so some days it's quite boring, but mostly, it's nice to just unwind and not have a stressful work day!

My family always gets together more during the summer too, and we do something almost every weekend, whether it's a day trip to Lake George, or even Gloucester, MA, or driving 20 minutes to play mini golf or get ice cream, it's always fun. We always visit the Saratoga Battlefield too, at least 3 times a summer!

This year, we're going on vacation to Lake Placid, where I haven't been since I was 7, so I'm really looking forward to it. We used to vacation every summer, and have gone to Canada, the Bahamas, Virginia, DC, etc, but the recession hit us really hard, so we haven't been able to go away as a family in a long time. It's extra special now!

My aunt and uncle like to spend time with my brother and I too, which is always nice. We do a special outing, and usually, it's somewhere historic. Last year, we went to The Mount, Edith Wharton's estate in the Berkshires. We went to a Mexican restaurant afterwards, where I got tipsy on many margaritas (lol!) and then up to Jiminy Peak to hang out.

I love the clothes, too. I have so so so many dresses that I really only get to wear for about 3 or 4 months, because New York is generally cold(ish) from the middle of September to the middle of May. It's nice when you actually get to wear dresses, skirts, rompers, and shorts!

Basically, I love summer because it means more family time. Whether that's roaming battlefields with mom and dad, watching fireworks and going to car shows with my brother, or going to museums and Massachusetts with my aunt and uncle, it's all so special.

message 4: by Pien (new)

Pien | 442 comments This summer I think i'll be moving to Kelsey's place. It sounds like a lot of fun! ;-)
I love the (mostly) nice weather, making it possible to be outside, enjoying the garden, have walks down the beach, making sandcastles with our daughter, and swimming.
This summer will be extra special because hopefully we're getting a new puppy at the end of July. (A flatcoated retriever) He's not born yet but the mom's doing fine so fingers crossed!
We would have him at 7 1/2 weeks and we'll be having our hands full but we're looking forward to it so much!

message 5: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
Hope the warm weather in some regions isn't too stifling for our Book Snails! It's pretty darn hot here in Alabama--even at night. Keep cool out there, wherever you are...

message 6: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Unfortunately, New York is getting awful summer weather :/ We've had high temperatures (for us!) in the high 80's range, but it only lasts for a few days, and then it's back down to 73 and rainy. This past weekend we were lucky, because it was sunny three days in a row! Sadly, that's not a joke :(

According to the Almanac, the Northeast is supposed to be colder and rainier than usual. Sadly, where I live, we'll have maybe two sunny days a week. As of June 6th, it rained 41 out of 67 days, and we've definitely gotten more rain since then, too. Actually, I just checked our ten day forecast, and we've got at least another five days of rain next week...ugh!

message 7: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
So I love fall but I'm super sad summer has ended! My birthday is in the summer (July 22) and so is my sons (July 8) so that's always the best part! But I LOVE wearing sandals and shorts and cute sundresses! And Weddings GALORE! But we will see it again soon!

message 8: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Lupe wrote: "So I love fall but I'm super sad summer has ended! My birthday is in the summer (July 22) and so is my sons (July 8) so that's always the best part! But I LOVE wearing sandals and shorts and cute s..."

That's nice, Lupe! We have so many July birthdays in my family. My grandfather is the 4th, my cousin the 5th, one uncle on the 9th, another uncle on the 25th, mine on the 28th, and my grandmother is on the 31st. It's literally jammed packed! And, when my cat was alive, we always celebrated his birthday on the 6th, lol :)