Pakistani Readers discussion

(Urdu Literature) اردو ادب > The Urdu Travelogue

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by W (new)

W I have particularly enjoyed the books of Ali Sufyan Afaqi.His prose is lively,the dialogue crackling with wit.Among his companions on his travels were some of the famous names of the Pakistani film industry.Europe Ki Alif Laila,Tilismat e Farang and Khawabon Ki Sar Zameen about his travels to Holland,Canada and Europe are well worth reading.
Then there is Ata ul Haq Qasmi with his Shauq e Awargi and Goron Ke Dais Main.Another very perceptive and witty writer.
Brigadier Siddiq Salik's Ta Dam e Tahrir about his travels to various countries is another very enjoyable book.

message 2: by Salman (new)

Salman Tariq (salmanahmedtariq) | 232 comments Atta ul qasmi bhot achaw likhty hai....
Saayasi layaiz se unka kirdar bhot dhag daar nazar ata hai... jisski wajah se inqlabi adab mein wo sifr rahy.. awaam ko halki phulki nimko par tarkhae rakha

message 3: by Salman (new)

Salman Khalid | 12 comments Among current Urdu travelogue writers try Salma Awan if you enjoy travelogues. She has a very distinct and quite 'zanana' way of writing which is enjoyable.
I wonder you skipped Tarar Sahab. His pre 90's travelogues are a must read. Undlas mein Ajnabi, Khana Badosh, Nikle Teri Talash mein.
Daud Tahir is also a name especially in domestic travelling (within Punjab mostly). His books are teeming with local histories and domestic travels. Something not very common in Urdu.
Salman Rashid is my personal favourite. He writes well researched travel articles to far off places within the country in English mostly.

message 4: by W (new)

W I read one book by Tarar,didn't like it much and didn't read him again.He has certainly travelled and written a good deal.I'll try him again.

message 5: by W (new)

W As for English travel writing,Bill Bryson is a writer whose books I have enjoyed immensely.

message 6: by Salman (new)

Salman Khalid | 12 comments will give him a try definitely sometime as I love reading travelogues but for now Urdu is in priority list.

message 7: by Rural Soul (new)

Rural Soul | 69 comments Wsm wrote: "I have particularly enjoyed the books of Ali Sufyan Afaqi.His prose is lively,the dialogue crackling with wit.Among his companions on his travels were some of the famous names of the Pakistani film..."

The name Ali Sufyan Afaqi suggests that you have been regular reader of "Sarguzasht Digest".

message 8: by W (new)

W No,I picked up one of his books.Liked it and read the rest.I have never heard of Sarguzasht digest.

message 9: by Rural Soul (new)

Rural Soul | 69 comments His "Filmi Alif Lailah" kept being published there in Parts.

message 10: by W (new)

W I read Filmi Alif Laila in another magazine.It is interesting and I think has been published as a book too.

message 11: by Rural Soul (new)

Rural Soul | 69 comments دیوار گریہ کے آس پاس" نیا سفر نامہ آیا یے۔"