The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > General Questions

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
Please post your general questions about the Summer 2017 Challenge here. Specific questions about individual tasks should be posted in the Help Threads for those tasks. You may find answers to some questions in FAQs.

Tasks will begin to be posted on 5/20.

message 2: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3823 comments Do we have TWO 30.1 tasks? Dlmrose already has posted 30.1. I have 30.2 not yet assigned. Could that be Ava Catherine's?

Also, while I am noting inconsistencies...is 30.11 A Place Both Strange and Wonderful or A Place Both Wonderful and Strange?

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... - see top two titles

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15619 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Do we have TWO 30.1 tasks? Dlmrose already has posted 30.1. I have 30.2 not yet assigned. Could that be Ava Catherine's?

Also, while I am noting inconsistencies...is 30.11 A Place Both Strange and..."

Sorry if you were confused, Bea.

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3823 comments Sandy wrote: "Sorry if you were confused, Bea."

:) My usual state lately, Sandy.

message 5: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Hi,

For a task that requires a certain number of pages, the book I want to read is only available in English as an ebook.
Can I read that edition and post the link to the German book, which does have a print edition?

Thanks

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17400 comments Mod
Pia wrote: "Hi,

For a task that requires a certain number of pages, the book I want to read is only available in English as an ebook.
Can I read that edition and post the link to the German book, which does h..."

Anytime you read an ebook use the method to determine page numbers from the rules:

If you read an ebook, or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

>If there are multiple editions in a format:
From the editions page (click all editions on the main book page)
Set the Format, beginning with Mass Market Paperback
Set the Sort By as "num ratings"
Use the top edition result to determine the page number for ebooks and audiobooks
If there are no editions in MMPB, reset with Paperback and the same sort (num ratings). If there are no paperback editions, reset with Hardcover and the same sort (num ratings). If there are no print editions the ebook or audiobook may not be used for a task requiring a page number

> If the sort results in a Large Type edition at the top omit that book and move to the next record or format.

> If the sort results in an edition in a language other than English the edition SHOULD be used to establish length.

message 7: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Got it. Thanks!

message 8: by Wayne (last edited May 29, 2017 10:10AM) (new)

Wayne | 1293 comments I read the rule re: reading a component part of an omnibus to satisfy a task, but can I use an omnibus in its entirety? I'm thinking of using The Once and Future King for Brooke TX's task: it's 639 pages so the length is excellent, and I could even squeeze in a quick pre-read, but according to its GR page, it is The Once and Future King #1-4. Is this allowed?

message 9: by Sandy (last edited May 29, 2017 10:52AM) (new)

Wayne wrote: "I read the rule re: reading a component part of an omnibus to satisfy a task, but can I use an omnibus in its entirety? I'm thinking of using The Once and Future King for Brooke TX's t..."

Yes. And I'm not influenced by the fact that it's one of my longtime favorites!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 70 comments Hi,

I'm new and super excited about my timing- looks like the summer challenge starts tomorrow!

Question about how the challenge works: How do you know if you've completed or won the challenge? Are there a certain number of points required to say you completed/won it, is it getting the most points over everyone else, or something else? Or do you just set your own personal goal?

Thanks!

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Hi,

I'm new and super excited about my timing- looks like the summer challenge starts tomorrow!

Question about how the challenge works: How do you know if you've completed or won the challenge? A..."

You complete the challenge by completing all of the tasks.

message 12: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments To expand on that, the only tangible reward is being given the ability to create a particular task for the next season. You can read how each task is won in The Rewards of the Challenge post. You can win the right to create specific tasks without having entirely completed the last Seasonal Challenge.

Many of us, myself included, make personal goals that do not include completing a challenge.

message 13: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 838 comments And this next one will be a doozy to complete-Is it the biggest ever?

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Heather(Gibby) wrote: "And this next one will be a doozy to complete-Is it the biggest ever?"

Not yet, but we won't know until tonight.
The biggest in the past was Summer 2013
71 tasks, 1350 points

message 15: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Heather(Gibby) wrote: "And this next one will be a doozy to complete-Is it the biggest ever?"

Not yet, but we won't know until tonight.
The biggest in the past was Summer 2013
71 tasks, 1350 points"

I can remember that. It was the second Season I participated in and it was just an overload of task. And I can remember that an astonishing amount of people managed to finish it, considering how many books they had to read.

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments Can I check to see if a certain book is okay to use for the challenge? I don't typically read poetry, so I wanted to double check the rules. I was going to use Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty for a 30 point task. It's more than 100 pages, but there are some pictures, so I wasn't sure if it could be used for a highter-point task.

message 17: by Trish (last edited Jun 01, 2017 07:52AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Fandury wrote: " can remember that. It was the second Season I participated in and it was just an overload of task. And I can remember that an astonishing amount of people managed to finish it, considering how many books they had to read."

I think I'm going to start small and aim for half on this one!

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Boston Kate wrote: "Can I check to see if a certain book is okay to use for the challenge? I don't typically read poetry, so I wanted to double check the rules. I was going to use [book:Poisoned Apples: Poems for You,..."

Yes, that would work throughout the challenge.

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Boston Kate wrote: "Can I check to see if a certain book is okay to use for the challenge? I don't typically read poetry, so I wanted to double check the rules. I was going to use [book:Poisoned Ap..."

Thanks for the quick confirmation. :)

message 20: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2055 comments What happened to:

20.4 – Golden Oldies – Kristi CO’s Task: Bound for Boston!

It was there under Summer Tasks one day -- and now it is gone.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Deedee wrote: "What happened to:

20.4 – Golden Oldies – Kristi CO’s Task: Bound for Boston!

It was there under Summer Tasks one day -- and now it is gone."

She has not yet claimed her posts in the help thread. It will be up when she does.

message 22: by Melayna (new)

Melayna | 8 comments I am having a little difficulty with the main page genre. I want to read All Quiet on the Western Front . The whole book takes place during World War I, but because of how people shelve it its genre is just war. Am I just out of luck because the task 25.8 specifies main page genre World War I or is there some way around this? Thank you.

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

Melayna wrote: "I am having a little difficulty with the main page genre. I want to read All Quiet on the Western Front . The whole book takes place during World War I, but because of how people shel..."

The specific genre must be found on the book's main page. There's no way around it. Sorry.
The display may change. If the genre does appear you can get it verified in the genre thread or the task help thread.

message 24: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3823 comments Melayna wrote: "I am having a little difficulty with the main page genre. I want to read All Quiet on the Western Front. The whole book takes place during World War I, but because of how people shelve it its genre is just war. Am I just out of luck because the task 25.8 specifies main page genre World War I or is there some way around this? Thank you."

Melayna, Chris just noted in task 25.8 that the task has been changed. Your book would now qualify as it is #1 on the list.

message 25: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments I'd like to read The Contented Toddler Years for a task. The only printed edition shows no page count on GR, however the ebook shows 208 pages. May I use this for a task or do I need to do anything else to verify the number of pages first?

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Bryony wrote: "I'd like to read The Contented Toddler Years for a task. The only printed edition shows no page count on GR, however the ebook shows 208 pages. May I use this for a task or do I need ..."

You can ask a librarian to add the page numbers to the printed book.

message 27: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Thanks Sandy, I'll do that.

message 28: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments When someone verifies a genre, is that good for everyone to use, or is it specific to the person who verifies it?

message 29: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "When someone verifies a genre, is that good for everyone to use, or is it specific to the person who verifies it?"

It's good for anyone. I've used other people's before when I was looking for suggestions on tasks.

message 30: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 838 comments When an author uses Jr at the end of their name, does the J have to be included in task requiring finding the authors initials in a certain word or phrase.

I am specifically looking at Hubert Selby Jr. do I need to fit the H S and J , or just the H S?

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Heather(Gibby) wrote: "When an author uses Jr at the end of their name, does the J have to be included in task requiring finding the authors initials in a certain word or phrase.

I am specifically looking at [author:Hu..."

Please see the FAQs : "A. If a task calls for author’s initials, what name do I use for the last initial?
While there are great variations in names, we work with the general rule that the author’s last name is the final word in the name that is preceded by a space. We realize that this may not be technically accurate in every case, but this is the default rule. Relational suffixes, such as Jr., III, etc. do not count as part of the name for SRC purposes."

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2966 comments I don't have a question. I just wanted to comment 67 tasks is alot for summer challenge. Anyone who finishes it should be proud of themselves.

message 33: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Simm | 4 comments Can one book count for more than one task?

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Natalie wrote: "Can one book count for more than one task?"

No. You can only use a book once per challenge.

message 35: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 260 comments What's the stance on short story collections by a single author? Are they allowed, if over 100 pages obviously, or not?

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Siobhan wrote: "What's the stance on short story collections by a single author? Are they allowed, if over 100 pages obviously, or not?"

of course, if they fit the task and general requirements.

message 37: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 260 comments Sandy wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "What's the stance on short story collections by a single author? Are they allowed, if over 100 pages obviously, or not?"

of course, if they fit the task and general requirements."

Awesome! Thank you very much. :D

message 38: by Heather (new)

Heather | 358 comments I haven't done a challenge in a long time. Does someone still post a spreadsheet somewhere with the books so we can use it for our personal tracking? Thanks!

Heather

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (colinsmom) | 66 comments I was wondering if either of these books work within any of the challenges. The books I was wondering about are: Unlikely Loves: 43 Heartwarming True Stories from the Animal Kingdom by Jennifer S. Holland AND Dreamland by Sarah Dessen. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Sarah wrote: "I was wondering if either of these books work within any of the challenges. The books I was wondering about are: Unlikely Loves: 43 Heartwarming True Stories from the Animal Kingdom..."

There's a help topic Fit This Book for book/task questions.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (colinsmom) | 66 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I was wondering if either of these books work within any of the challenges. The books I was wondering about are: [book:Unlikely Loves: 43 Heartwarming True Stories from the Animal Kin..." Oh, sorry about that.

message 42: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 371 comments For Task 5.6 - Finding Wisdom Reading name:celester
Does the author Sophocles work?

The male variant at the bottom of the page, 'sophos' is the beginning root of sopho-[cle]-s. It keeps the definition 'sophos = wisdom' true as Sophocles means "glorious wisdom". Kles/cles = glory.
Thank you. CELESTE.

message 43: by Sandy (new)

Celeste wrote: "For Task 5.6 - Finding Wisdom Reading name:celester
Does the author Sophocles work?

The male variant at the bottom of the page, 'sophos' is the beginning root of sopho-[cle]-s. It keeps the defini..."

Please post task-specific questions in the help thread for that task. There is a help thread for each task. In the task list, there is a link to the help thread for each specific task.

message 44: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments For tasks that require authors' initials, could works assigned to "anonymous" (such as Arabian Nights) be counted?

message 45: by Kat (new)

Kat Durkin (kat_durkin) | 56 comments I have not been posting task completions as I go. Is there a rule/guidance on multiple task completion? Should there be one post per task or can multiple tasks be included in one post?

Apologies if this is dealt with elsewhere, I haven't been able to find it .

message 46: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3823 comments Katrina wrote: "I have not been posting task completions as I go. Is there a rule/guidance on multiple task completion? Should there be one post per task or can multiple tasks be included in one post?

Apologies i..."

Katrina, multiple tasks can be included in the same post but they need to be in numerical order.

message 47: by Dlmrose (new)

Katrina wrote: "I have not been posting task completions as I go. Is there a rule/guidance on multiple task completion? Should there be one post per task or can multiple tasks be included in one post?

Apologies i..."

Please start posting them now. We are busy behind the scenes. and big posts in the final days of the challenge are difficult for us.