Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Historical Fiction Suggestions??

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by sakura_pages (new)

sakura_pages Hi Everyone. I have a love for historical fiction (and non fiction) and wondered if anyone out there knows and can suggest any historical fiction books that aren't based on the War of the Roses or Tudors. As much as I love those time periods, I would like something different. Anyone got any suggestions????

message 2: by NayNay (last edited May 19, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

NayNay Books by Jennifer Robson
Somewhere in France by Jennifer Robson After the War Is Over by Jennifer Robson Moonlight over Paris by Jennifer Robson Goodnight from London by Jennifer Robson

Books by Lucy Foley
The Book of Lost and Found by Lucy Foley The Invitation by Lucy Foley

Books by Sarah Jio
The Bungalow by Sarah Jio The Last Camellia by Sarah Jio Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio

Books by Beatriz Williams
A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams Overseas by Beatriz Williams The Wicked City by Beatriz Williams A Certain Age by Beatriz Williams

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 46 comments I second Jennifer Robson! I love her books!

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 554 comments Michelle Moran:
Nefertiti by Michelle Moran The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran Madame Tussaud A Novel of the French Revolution by Michelle Moran

Stephanie Thornton:
Daughter of the Gods A Novel of Ancient Egypt by Stephanie Thornton The Secret History A Novel of Empress Theodora by Stephanie Thornton The Tiger Queens The Women of Genghis Khan by Stephanie Thornton The Conqueror's Wife A Novel of Alexander the Great by Stephanie Thornton

Elizabeth Wein:
Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth Wein Rose Under Fire (Code Name Verity, #2) by Elizabeth Wein Black Dove, White Raven by Elizabeth Wein

Libbie Hawker:
Tidewater A Novel of Pocahontas and the Jamestown Colony by Libbie Hawker The Sekhmet Bed (The She-King, #1) by Libbie Hawker Daughter of Sand and Stone by Libbie Hawker

message 5: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Walker (jkwalkerauthor) Anything by Sarah Dunant. Finished Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant a few months ago. Also, In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant , and The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant .

Anything by Frank Delaney, if you like Irish settings. I've read and enjoyed Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show A Novel of Ireland by Frank Delaney , Last Storyteller A Novel of Ireland by Frank Delaney , Matchmaker of Kenmare A Novel of Ireland by Frank Delaney Ireland by Frank Delaney .

message 6: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (last edited May 19, 2017 05:08PM) (new)

Jasmine | 1235 comments Mod
There are so many! Is there any specific period you are looking for? Some of my recent reads that I enjoyed include:

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah .

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly.

The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin.

Girl at War by Sara Nović Girl at War by Sara Nović.

Girl at War may not be considered Historical Fiction, it focuses on the civil war in Yugoslavia. It was really good.

Also if you enjoy the Russian Revolution I really liked all of Robert Alexander's novels.

message 7: by Beth (last edited May 19, 2017 03:05PM) (new)

Beth Sponzilli | 82 comments Well, I love all types of time periods, such as (to just name a few)
Early American
America's First Daughter
Flight of the Sparrow: A Novel of Early America
Middle Ages
The Pillars of the Earth
Doomsday Book
The Greatest Knight
American Civil war
My Name is Mary Sutter
The Widow of the South
World War 1
Fall of Giants

what periods do you like most? I can give you more!

message 8: by Beth (last edited May 19, 2017 03:11PM) (new)

Beth Sponzilli | 82 comments I have to add the Tea Rose Trilogy by Jennifer Donnelly. Here is the first book in series. Really Really good. Turn of 20th century NY and London.
The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 548 comments I wouldn't even know where to begin, there's so many! What kind of subjects or time periods are you thinking about? Are you still looking for books on royalty, just not the Tudors/War of the Roses? Or are you looking for something besides royalty? Something about other historical figures (non-royalty), or fictional characters? Do you like mysteries?

message 10: by Jennifer (last edited May 20, 2017 09:07AM) (new)

Jennifer | 2959 comments All great stuff here! These are a few of my favorites:
The Coffee Trader by David Liss , The Coffee Trader
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant , The Red Tent
Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer by Sena Jeter Naslund , Ahab's Wife
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier , Girl with a Pearl Earring
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett & World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth, #2) by Ken Follett , The Pillars of the Earth & World Without End
The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1) by Oliver Pötzsch , The Hangman's Daughter, this a series if you enjoy the first one
Fin Gall (The Norsemen Saga, #1) by James L. Nelson , Fin Gall, another series

message 11: by HeyLucindaO! (new)

HeyLucindaO! (heylucinda) Ooh.. a grea list Jennifer! Have added some to my TBR list

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2959 comments Maya Moon wrote: "Ooh.. a grea list Jennifer! Have added some to my TBR list"

Great! :) let me know what you think!

message 13: by Viji (new)

Viji | 244 comments This link could suggest lot of historic novels in various genres:

https://historicalnovelsociety.org/

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ryan (jennifer_ryan) Just finished We Were the Lucky Ones and it was brilliant - such a page turner!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 407 comments This is not a bad list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7... - though it does have a little author spam on it. (I'd take with a grain or two of salt anything with a really low read number compared to its vote total.)

message 16: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Hurley (fiona_hurley) | 228 comments I'll second Sarah Dunant and Libbie Hawker.

For more settings that are different than the usual, try The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (1920s Alaska), Burial Rites by Hannah Kent (19th century Iceland), and The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani (17th century Iran).

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne (gloucester) | 24 comments SARUM, LONDON, THE FOREST, and the Irish trilogy by Edward Rutherfurd. And my favourite book of the last few years ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE by Anthony Doerr.

message 18: by Alice (last edited May 25, 2017 10:11AM) (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) I'm looking forward to reading Edward Rutherfurd's CHINA , which will be released this September.

I loved Sarah Dunant's Blood & Beauty: The Borgias and In the Company of the Courtesan, also C. W. Gortner's The Confessions of Catherine de Medici, The Queen's Vow: A Novel of Isabella of Castile and The Vatican Princess: A Novel of Lucrezia Borgia, and Conn Iggulden's Genghis: Birth of an Empire and Genghis: Lords of the Bow.

In the classics category, I adored War and Peace.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ryan (jennifer_ryan) Beatriz Williams writes so beautifully. I love all her books. Maybe A Hundred Summers is my favorite. She has some amazing characters.

message 20: by Barry (new)

Barry Marks | 55 comments Anne wrote: "SARUM, LONDON, THE FOREST, and the Irish trilogy by Edward Rutherfurd. And my favourite book of the last few years ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE by Anthony Doerr."

I read "Sarum" about a year ago, mostly out of curiosity. I had heard it was like one of Michener's big books, which I grew tired of decades ago, so I put it off for years. But it really surprised me.

It's obviously modelled after Michener's books but it's characters were much more vivid and believable. I did get kind of lost trying to follow the connections between the characters and I think that was probably important and that I missed some of the point. There were just so many characters, though, and I couldn't keep up. Still, it was an excellent read and I enjoyed it and learned a lot.

I have a couple more of his to read but I haven't yet.

I read Michener's first books in my teens as they came out and I quickly became a big fan of them. Then his first big historical novel "Hawaii" came along and I was fascinated. I'd never read anything like it and after reading it I turned right back around and read it again. It was that good. But the books that followed were mostly just copies of that one in new locations and their characters were paper thin and hard to really care about.

Barry

message 21: by Leona (last edited May 27, 2017 07:14AM) (new)

Leona (mnleona) | 312 comments I was checking on Edward Cline Sarum The Novel of England by Edward Rutherfurd the other day. His Jack Frake series are really good.
I also found my copy of Sarum: The Novel of England the other day and should get back to it again. Jack Frake (Sparrowhawk, #1) by Edward Cline

message 22: by sakura_pages (new)

sakura_pages Thank you, Thank you all so so much for all the book suggestion. I have so much to read now and some eras I didn't even think of!!!

message 23: by Joy (new)

Joy | 37 comments I love dual timeline historicals. Any recommendations?

message 24: by Joy (new)

Joy | 37 comments Also, I'm looking for historical fiction taking place during the Gilded Age but focusing as much or more on the immigrants as the wealthy. Ideas, anyone?

message 25: by Joy (new)

Joy | 37 comments Alice wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading Edward Rutherfurd's CHINA , which will be released this September.

I loved Sarah Dunant's Blood & Beauty: The Borgias and [book:In the Company of the..."

Just saw your comment on the novel CHINA, to be released in fall? One of my three kids is adopted from China, so I am delighted to see this. Have you read any early reviews of it? Rutherford is amazing.

message 26: by Beth (last edited Jun 07, 2017 05:51PM) (new)

Beth Sponzilli | 82 comments Joy ---Dual timeline suggestions-- all of Suzanne Kearsley books are, as well as Kate Morton. Kindred by Octavia E. Butler, and The Mirror by Marlys Milsner. All favorites of mine!

For the Gilded age, Sara Donati's The Gilded Hour is really good. Also, Time and Again by Jack Finney is awesome (late 19th century, NY, time travel) Links below of some...

Time and Again
The Mirror
The Gilded Hour
The Winter Sea
Kindred

message 27: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Jasmine | 1235 comments Mod
I second Kate Morton! I really love her books. The group read The Lake House at one point.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 407 comments Doomsday Book by Connie Willis also has dual timelines - 14th century and the 2060s.

Seconding Time and Again; that's a fun read.

message 29: by Joy (new)

Joy | 37 comments Thank you, Beth and Jasmine (my younger daughter's name, btw :) and Susanna! I have read most of Kate Morton, but not Lake House yet, and I've not read any of the others you all name. Taking note of all these and checking library (and will probably break down and buy some of them) today. Any of these you all would classify as a Must Own? My own last novel (launch in fall) is a dual timeline and I never imagine how hard they are to write, so buying the really excellent examples of this is a good investment so I can mark it up and analyze what an author has done really well. Thanks for your time, everyone, in offering suggestions!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 407 comments Oh yes, and Possession, by A.S. Byatt. (Victorian and 1980s.)

message 31: by Joy (new)

Joy | 37 comments I'd love to know of some authors of historical fiction whom readers here love in which the authors tend more toward the literary historical (not so much warfare-centered) but still include a good deal of suspense and mystery/ page-turning quality. I tend to be turned off by time travel (which may be unfair of me not to give it a chance, honestly) or anything that smacks of cliché, and admire writers who can weave in historical detail without smacking me in the head with their research. Suggestions, anyone?

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth Sponzilli | 82 comments More of my favorites
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly
Katherine by Anya Seton
Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1) by Connie Willis
Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1) by Sara Donati
Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

message 33: by Joy (new)

Joy | 37 comments Super helpful, Beth. Thank you! I've read several of these but have not read most and look forward to diving in. Stupid question, how does one do the links to these books as you have above? I tried just pasting the GR url but it didn't work

message 34: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (aquariusnat) I found out that on the desktop version of the site , there is a small "add book/author" link next to the message box . But if using the app , you need to use traditional hotmail .

message 35: by Beth (last edited Jun 08, 2017 09:54AM) (new)

Beth Sponzilli | 82 comments Yeah, you can't do on a phone, just a laptop or computer. If you are on one of those... when you comment you will see it say ADD book/author. Click on that and search for the book and you can display it by cover like I did, or just the title to click.

message 36: by Beth (new)

Beth Sponzilli | 82 comments I love historical fiction, here's some more..
Ferney by James William Davenport Long
Veil of Time by Claire R. McDougall
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
Remarkable Creatures  by Tracy Chevalier
America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 407 comments On the more literary side of historical fiction, I'm a fan of Hilary Mantel (Wolf Hall etc.) , as well as Geraldine Brooks.

message 38: by Tania (new)

Tania | 70 comments I also enjot Kate Morton's books. For more literary with some mystery, you could try The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield by Diane Setterfield and a dual timeline book I liked was The Muse by Jessie Burton by Jessie Burton.

message 39: by R.W. (last edited Jun 09, 2017 11:26AM) (new)

R.W. Raymond (robertwraymond) | 0 comments Angela wrote: "Hi Everyone. I have a love for historical fiction (and non fiction) and wondered if anyone out there knows and can suggest any historical fiction books that aren't based on the War of the Roses or ..."

Famine to Civil War: An Irish Saga

message 40: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Joy wrote: "Alice wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading Edward Rutherfurd's CHINA , which will be released this September.

I loved Sarah Dunant's Blood & Beauty: The Borgias and [book:In the ..."

Joy, my information about the September release came from the Historical Novel Society website. But I've just found this book page on Goodreads which says the book will be released in March 2018: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 41: by Claudia (last edited Jul 02, 2017 01:49PM) (new)

Claudia Fabian | 10 comments I thoroughly enjoyed Becoming Malka Although it begins in modern times, in the USA, the main character is transported- through the power of a mythical tarot card- to her great great-grandmother's home in Odessa, Ukraine 1900s. This is a fantastic story and one we are not usually presented. This is a Russian Jewish family, but don't think of Fiddler on the Roof. The Abramovitz family are well-to-do, "honorary citizens" so, the book is filled with just enough Victorian sensibilities to attract Period Drama fans. Think "Lost in Austen" mixed with "Fiddler on the Roof"- and throw in some mysticism and Argentine Gauchos too...yes! The history of Jews in Argentina is also addressed in this thoroughly entertaining book. Becoming Malka by Mirta Ines Trupp

message 42: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 31 comments Savage Girl
Savage Girl by Jean Zimmerman
Best I've read in a long time. Late-mid 1800s New York City and silver mining town in Nevada. And the whole road in between.

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sinclair | 22 comments Joy wrote: "I'd love to know of some authors of historical fiction whom readers here love in which the authors tend more toward the literary historical (not so much warfare-centered) but still include a good d..."

I know what you mean, historical fiction is so often straight history "as seen through the eyes of" some fictional character. The point seems to be to "teach" the story, rather than "tell" the story. I personally liked:

- Mistress of the Art of Death, Ariana Franklin (but the rest of the series falls off in quality)
- Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen (although not sure how accurate it is)
- Where the River Bends, Elissa Matthews (starts slow, stick with it)
- almost anything by Susan Vreeland
- almost anything by Anya Seton
- almost anything by Thomas Costain

message 44: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 5 comments I would recommend Vlad: The Last Confession

message 45: by Leona (last edited Jul 16, 2017 06:45AM) (new)

Leona (mnleona) | 312 comments Try Flying Conquistadors Flying Conquistadors by Michael Scott Bertrand by Michael Scott Bertrand Michael Scott Bertrand . The book has Charles Lindbergh and Ernest Hemingway and takes the reader to the Mayan ruins in Mexico.

message 46: by OT (new)

OT Joy wrote: "I'd love to know of some authors of historical fiction whom readers here love in which the authors tend more toward the literary historical (not so much warfare-centered) but still include a good d..."
Hi Joy, I just finished the trilogy from ASENSI "Martín Ojo de Plata". Adventure, easy reading and good quality historical info weaved in. Trilogía Martín Ojo de Plata It is translated in english. Talks about Spanish colonies in the 1600-s. Good luck

message 47: by OT (new)

OT Hi everyone, I am looking for historical fiction that tells about the XVIII century = 1700-s. I am European, so I'm looking more into that direction. Am fluent in English, Spanish, Dutch and French and like to read in the original language.
If you recommend a book, please tell me briefly WHY you liked it.
Thank you for your help.

message 48: by Gary (new)

Gary Hall | 23 comments Joy - "The 5K Zone: Cold War Border Intrigue," has the backdrop of the historically correct expulsion of ethnic Germans from the formerly Nazi controlled Czechoslovakian Sudetenland.

It morphs into a coming-of-age spy/escape story involving youngsters Peter Ackerman and Trudi Kehle who deal with the expulsions and the closed border (Iron Curtain).

message 49: by Harry (new)

Harry Miller | 33 comments I would recommend The Seven Hills of Paradise, by Rosemary Simpson The Seven Hills of Paradise, about the Fourth Crusade (early 1200s).

It is extremely politically intriguing and set the standard in my mind for what historical fiction should be (which, since I brought it up, I guess relates to the ability of an author to bring the past to life).

This is my first posting!

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2959 comments Joy wrote: "I'd love to know of some authors of historical fiction whom readers here love in which the authors tend more toward the literary historical (not so much warfare-centered) but still include a good d..."

Have you tried Oliver Potzsch? His Hangman's Daughter series is fantastic

« previous 1