C.S. Lewis Books discussion

G.K. Chesterton + C.S. Lewis

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan (alancduncan) | 3 comments Knowing how much C.S. Lewis respected G.K. Chesterton are there any readers of GKC in this group? The connections in their thought make for interesting reflection.
-Alan

message 2: by Cleo (last edited May 19, 2017 10:16AM) (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 11 comments I've read most of Lewis' works but alas, so little of Chesterton's --- just Orthodoxy, The Club of Queer Trades and his Father Brown mysteries. I believe that Chesterton had an enormous amount of influence on Lewis but I'm not sure how much of it is actually documented. As for Chesterton's ideas, echoing in Lewis', I would need to read more Chesterton to tease them out, which is certainly my plan as he's high on my TBR list. You sound like you've read a good number of books from both authors, Alan.

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan (alancduncan) | 3 comments Thanks for the response Cleo! I learned of Lewis, in childhood, long before I learned of Chesterton. And I love him. But at this point I think I may have read more of GKC than CLS. Which really just means I need to read more of both!

I actually haven't read Queer Trades yet though. I'll have to do that. I'd be curious to know your thoughts on it.

As for documenting the influence of GKC on CSL...I'm actually working a project that seeks to shed light on it. My dad and I traveled to the Wade Center and studied C.S. Lewis' personal copies of G.K. Chesterton books. We hand copied every annotation, underline or note Lewis made in the margins while reading Chesterton's works. We are now working on a brief book that highlights these specific connections in the thinking of Lewis and Chesterton! It's been very exciting for us.

message 4: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 11 comments That is so exciting, Alan. You are so fortunate to have been able to go to the Wade Center and handle Lewis' books. I need to put that experience on my bucket list! Please keep us updated about the book.

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan (alancduncan) | 3 comments Yes, I'd highly recommend planning a visit to the Wade Center if you can. You'd love it. The staff there is very helpful. As far as updates on the book I will be sending an informal and (hopefully) informative email newsletter to track our progress and give behind the scenes info on the project. Feel free to join!
https://tinyletter.com/alancduncan