The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Looking for books where the Female lover turns out to be a seductress.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (last edited May 19, 2017 07:45AM) (new)

Chris St | 3 comments Hello all, i am a writer and i am looking for mystery/suspense books where the love interest is the bad guy. I am not worried about spoilers, but if you want you can private message me so the ending isn't revealed for anyone else.
Why am I asking? Glad you asked :) I am currently writing a novel about a preacher that gets involved with prison crime....The reason I am not worried about spoilers, because I want to see the technique the author used to convince people the love was real, when in fact she was manipulating the man.
Really looking for a plot twist reveal in the third act. Where the guy thinks the girl actually loves him, and so do the readers, only to discover she was using/manipulating him the entire time.
Again, you can private message me if you want. Thanks for your time, C. St. John
Movie examples: body heat/brick/wild things/ gone girl both book and film.

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8556 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "Hello all, i am a writer and i am looking for mystery/suspense books where the love interest is the bad guy. I am not worried about spoilers, but if you want you can private message me so the endin..."

So you're basically looking for books featuring femmes fatales...

"A femme fatale is a stock character of a mysterious and seductive woman whose charms ensnare her lovers, often leading them into compromising, dangerous, and deadly situations."

There are tons of novels falling into this category, way too many to list, but Double Indemnity is certainly one of my favorite femme fatale novels, as is Black Wings Has My Angel.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris St | 3 comments yes. i looked at every list with femme fatale tag and archtype. Double indemnity is on that list as well as The postman always rings twice. It's more than just a female bad guy, it is the convincing the reader they are reading a romance type, only to find out he has been manipulated. Also, those list are very long and i wanted to hear from actual readers and their thoughts on books they have read, more than just a book on a list. I'll check those 2 out for sure.

Nancy wrote: "Chris wrote: "Hello all, i am a writer and i am looking for mystery/suspense books where the love interest is the bad guy. I am not worried about spoilers, but if you want you can private message m..."

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8556 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "yes. i looked at every list with femme fatale tag and archtype. Double indemnity is on that list as well as The postman always rings twice. It's more than just a female bad guy, it is the convincin..."

Okay. So you want books where readers think they're reading a romance but then it turns out the woman has been manipulating the man in the relationship all along. Well, can't help you on that one. Sorry. Anyone else??

message 5: by Donald (new)

Donald Grant (drdon1996) | 122 comments Cathryn Grant's Alexandra Mallory series fits this somewhat. She uses her female wiles to seduce her victims. Book one is The Woman In the Mirror.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris St | 3 comments Donald wrote: "Cathryn Grant's Alexandra Mallory series fits this somewhat. She uses her female wiles to seduce her victims. Book one is The Woman In the Mirror."
Cool, thanks. i'll check them out.