Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Harlequin ending LIH line of books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by June (new)

June | 366 comments I was saddened to learn that Harlequin has decided to end their LIH line of books next year. Will be sad to say goodbye after 10 wonderful years. And this group has been such a great inspiration to me. I've had so many hours of uplifting, inspirational reading pleasure. I did not like Historical books before these came out. Now I look forward to them every month.

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 97 comments I emailed Harlequin to complain. Perhaps we all should??

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam B | 166 comments Hannah wrote: "I emailed Harlequin to complain. Perhaps we all should??"

Please let us know if you get an answer from Harlequin!

This is such a sad news :(
I hope we at least will get to keep this group to learn about our favorite authors release and still have fun chatting!

message 4: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (neverenoughbookss) | 64 comments I am so sad to see this. I read their Love Inspired Contemporary line but their LIH is my favorite. I will really miss this line. Makes me wonder do we have to worry about Christian fiction disappearing? So many supposedly Christian fiction writes are going main stream now and the subject matter in their books and I've even had people say they saw swearing in Christian books too. Are the strong values in books disappearing?

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Deanne wrote: "I am so sad to see this. I read their Love Inspired Contemporary line but their LIH is my favorite. I will really miss this line. Makes me wonder do we have to worry about Christian fiction disappe..."

Not disappearing everywhere, Deanne but it is getting harder and harder to find publishers who will keep a Christian line going. The reason Harlequin gave us for LIH is that supposedly our sales have been declining. That may be true but I think part of that has to do with the fact that the shelf space in the retail stores is shrinking. Sadly some publishers are deciding to devote that space to books that do not exemplify Christian values.

By the way...thanks to all y'all for discussing this and your prayers for us authors. You never know what effect this may have on us and publishers. :)

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 97 comments Many of my friends are choosing to self-publish because of different issues, so I don't think Christian fiction per se will be gone. It's just that so many publishers are being bought up by big-name secular publishers (In Harlequin's case, I think it's HarperCollins if I recall correctly), so they have to look more at the bottom line. Big Christian names like Zondervan and Thomas Nelson are also owned by secular publishers now.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 97 comments Shannon wrote: "Deanne wrote: "I am so sad to see this. I read their Love Inspired Contemporary line but their LIH is my favorite. I will really miss this line. Makes me wonder do we have to worry about Christian ..."

Sales declining is probably because so many stores don't carry them. I used to be able to get LIH at Mardel, but now it's Walmart or online, so generally I end up getting them secondhand at library sales.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Hannah wrote: "Many of my friends are choosing to self-publish because of different issues, so I don't think Christian fiction per se will be gone. It's just that so many publishers are being bought up by big-nam..."

Yep. That's another big issue.

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn This is sad, I love the LIH books, I always end up crying at the end when everything works out. I get very attached to the characters.

message 10: by Shannon (last edited May 19, 2017 09:54AM) (new)

Shannon Farrington Jenn, on behalf of myself and my fellow authors, thanks for saying that. I know a few of us shed tears, (me especially :-) ) earlier this week when the news broke. We get attached to our characters as well-- especially the ones we did not get a chance to bring to life in stories of their own.

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 97 comments Shannon wrote: "Jenn, on behalf of myself and my fellow authors, thanks for saying that. I know a few of us shed tears, (me especially :-) ) earlier this week when the news broke. We get attached to our characters..."

Is there a possibility that HQ would release the copyrights at some point so the authors can finish telling those stories elsewhere?

message 12: by Shannon (last edited May 19, 2017 10:57AM) (new)

Shannon Farrington Anyone that hasn't signed a contract is free to pursue other publishers. As for earlier stories in a series (so they could be re packaged elsewhere...) I don't really know.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (meowymomma68) | 4 comments Is it all LI or just LIH books? I am so hooked on the LIH line, I recently had 3 small strokes and these books are part of my relaxation therapy. HQ is making such a big mistake!!!

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Oh Michelle! I'm so sorry to hear about the strokes. I'm glad you are doing better now.

In answer to your question... it's just the Historical line (although they are also doing away with a few of their smaller secular lines... nocturne is the only one that comes to my mind right now.

The contemporary and suspense lines are doing well in sales so they are keeping them.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (meowymomma68) | 4 comments Well, my other question is what happens to our group? I just joined it, I don't want to lose it.

message 16: by June (new)

June | 366 comments Deanne wrote: "I am so sad to see this. I read their Love Inspired Contemporary line but their LIH is my favorite. I will really miss this line. Makes me wonder do we have to worry about Christian fiction disappe..."

The good news is that God is in charge. A couple years back I followed the Heartsong Presents books which were published by Barbour and then Harlequin bought them and kept them going for about a year before closing the line out. I learned quite a bit with talking with authors from that deal. Books for repackaging, etc, depends on the contract. Some can and some can't. Every author is different. Self publishing does happen with some authors. My advice is to just remember these authors names and when you see something new by them, show your support and buy it. If you "follow" them on Goodreads you will be notified when they publish something new. The beauty of the internet and this chat group is now we have a personal connection with the authors also, so we can still keep in touch with them.

message 17: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4947 comments Its really sad and sad for all the authors. I love the books but have seem many also publish for other places now like forget me not, barbour etc.

message 18: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2528 comments I hope we keep the group. I enjoy the Historical books with the Christian values. Hope all of the authors keep writing and get published. We will keep praying and God will lead each of the authors.

message 19: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2528 comments June wrote: "Deanne wrote: "I am so sad to see this. I read their Love Inspired Contemporary line but their LIH is my favorite. I will really miss this line. Makes me wonder do we have to worry about Christian ..."

That is so true , June.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky Smith | 667 comments This has so saddened me! Praying for all the authors affected!

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina Scott (reginascott) | 398 comments Thank you all for your prayers! We authors have a lot of decisions to make about what happens next for us. But we also love this group, love talking with you, so we intend to keep it active. Stay tuned!

In the meantime, we have a year of great books to celebrate. The last books come out in June 2018, so there are a lot more stories to love.

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Regina wrote: "Thank you all for your prayers! We authors have a lot of decisions to make about what happens next for us. But we also love this group, love talking with you, so we intend to keep it active. Stay t..."

I second Regina's comment! I love this group and intend to stay part of it!!! Thank you all for the prayers!

message 23: by Sherida (new)

Sherida Stewart | 252 comments When I heard the disappointing news about LIH, I thought about how I'd miss this group with our author chats, birthday parties, and historical celebrations with all our friends. Praying for all of us impacted by this sad news!

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 558 comments As a reader, this news saddened me so much. LIH has been a long time favorite, even before I found this group. I hope that we can all stay connected. Readers and authors. The parties and chats have been fun and I will miss them. We readers need a way to know that you authors are okay and what/where you are going next. We LOVE your stories! We LOVE you!!
I'm praying for everyone involved.

message 25: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Thanks for all the support and prayers. They are appreciated. My heart aches for my LIH sisters, our wonderful readers and the two LI editors who will be losing their jobs.

As others have said, we will continue to have fun here in this group. I'll be hosting the June Q&A, so you can look forward to chatting with those authors soon.

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Keli wrote: "Thanks for all the support and prayers. They are appreciated. My heart aches for my LIH sisters, our wonderful readers and the two LI editors who will be losing their jobs.

As others have said, we..."

Yes! Please do keep our editors in your prayers as well. This will mean big changes for both of them.

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 235 comments I saw this yesterday and I'm still trying to process! This is so heartbreaking for me! It is so hard for me to find people to talk to about historical stuff! I think we should continue our costume and birthday parties! I'm still willing to participate, even if we might have to make a new group! My heart goes out to all the authors and editors! You need to let us know of your new endeavors! You'll always have support from all of us!

message 28: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Amanda wrote: "You need to let us know of your new endeavors!"

The news about the closing of the LIH line makes me sad for many reasons, but personally, I'm doing OK. The reason is that I'd already decided to retire. My November LIH, Their Mistletoe Matchmakers, will be my last novel. Instead of spending countless hours glued to my computer screen, I will be enjoying the company of my wonderful husband, a former high school teacher who retired two years ago. I'm eager to embrace this new chapter of my life.

message 29: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Keli wrote: "Amanda wrote: "You need to let us know of your new endeavors!"

The news about the closing of the LIH line makes me sad for many reasons, but personally, I'm doing OK. The reason is that I'd alread..."

Oh Keli! I am sorry for my sake to hear about your retirement! I have enjoyed getting to know you and you have been a big help to me as an author! For your sake though, I am happy for you and your husband as you begin your next chapter! You will have to keep us posted on your adventures!

message 30: by Regina (new)

Regina Scott (reginascott) | 398 comments Ditto, Keli! Your encouragement has meant a lot to me. But I'm sure you and your husband will enjoy this new chapter.

message 31: by Regina (new)

Regina Scott (reginascott) | 398 comments Just want to make sure everyone knows that this group isn't going anywhere. We love talking with you, and we intend to keep it going. Besides, we have a whole year of books coming out! Don't forget those authors.

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Regina wrote: "Just want to make sure everyone knows that this group isn't going anywhere. We love talking with you, and we intend to keep it going. Besides, we have a whole year of books coming out! Don't forget..."

Well said, Regina! There are a lot of great stories coming up.

Please forgive us ladies--we work so far ahead on a publication schedule that sometimes it's easy to loose track of the current moment!

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Dear friends, thank you for your support and encouragement. Love Inspired Historicals will be published for another year, so please do continue to support the authors. I hope you will keep this group going. It's a wonderfully refreshing place to connect with readers and authors alike.

message 34: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 30 comments Love the support in this group. My first (and sadly last) book comes out in July. But I believe this groups was started and ran by the authors not LIH. So as we branch out and take our stories other places, I love that we can still hang out here and talk about historical books of faith. Plus we still have a whole year of LIH hitting the selves.

message 35: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Ladies, thank you all for your encouraging words. We LIH authors love and appreciate you all and so enjoy chatting with you every month. As the other authors have mentioned, the LIH line will continue to publish books until June 2018 so there are a lot of excellent books and fun Q&As coming up. Please let all of your friends know that we intend to keep this group going and growing! We have a lot of fun planning special parties and activities so stay tuned!

Keli, I'm saddened to hear about your retirement, l'm sure you and your husband will have a wonderful time during your retirement years.

It's late and I'm heading for bed. I'll be back tomorrow.

message 36: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Yes, ladies, just because the official line is closing doesn't mean that most of us authors are retiring! I will still write books and keep up with this group. YOU ARE SO FUN AND SWEET!! Stay with us as we journey into the future!

message 37: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "Well, my other question is what happens to our group? I just joined it, I don't want to lose it."

THE GROUP STAYS as long as you all stay! Harlequin didn't start this group--Carla Capshaw did and then with help of readers like ausJenny and many others, we clicked! This a special group and we will continue!!!

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Thanks for all the words of encouragement, ladies. Like you all, I was shocked by the news. It was a tough week. Right now, many of us don't have answers as to what will happen to already contracted works. I'm glad we're keeping this group so that we can stay connected and follow what everyone is doing. Thanks for the prayers, too.

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 235 comments Lyn that is reassuring to hear! I always look forward to your costume parties! I'll still be participating!

message 40: by June (new)

June | 366 comments Jolene wrote: "Love the support in this group. My first (and sadly last) book comes out in July. But I believe this groups was started and ran by the authors not LIH. So as we branch out and take our stories othe..."

Jolene, I am glad you will get a book published and we can all get to know you and follow where you go from here.

The article I read didn't say how far into 2018, so thanks to those of you who have added the June 2018 information so we know we have a full year to prepare our hearts for this loss.

Keli, I have enjoyed your books and am glad you will be moving on to a new adventure, spending time with your husband. I hope we still get to hear about some of these adventures you will be going on. :)

message 41: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Thanks for the well wishes on my retirement. I'm eager to embrace this new chapter of my life, although I will miss many aspects of being a contracted author. Some I won't, such as deadlines and those pesky self doubts we writers battle from time to time. 🙂 I'll still be hanging out in the writing world. I love to read, too.

message 42: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2528 comments Keli,
I will miss reading your stories .Know you and your husband will enjoy the adventure of your next chapter.

message 43: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments I, too, shall miss all of you LIH authors! I'm so glad we still have time with you and I'm very grateful that you are thinking ahead and finding other avenues to share your stories! I know I will follow you wherever you go!

Keli, congrats on your "retirement"! Enjoy the time with your hubby! You know when it's time to "go" and that time must be NOW for you! Good luck in all you do and check in with us once in awhile!

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Keli wrote: "Amanda wrote: "You need to let us know of your new endeavors!"

The news about the closing of the LIH line makes me sad for many reasons, but personally, I'm doing OK. The reason is that I'd alread..."

Keli, I will miss your stories but am thrilled for this new season for you and your husband. Wishing you a wonderful retirement.

message 45: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Farrington Jolene wrote: "Love the support in this group. My first (and sadly last) book comes out in July. But I believe this groups was started and ran by the authors not LIH. So as we branch out and take our stories othe..."

Yea for you, Jolene!!!! I am looking forward to reading that first book! I am sure it won't be your last. You will find a new avenue! God willing, we all will.

message 46: by Urbanator (new)

Urbanator | 1 comments I just joined this group and really enjoy the way everyone seems to support eachothers ideas and thoughts. It seems a great group here. Im excited to be a part of it and its future contributions. Good to know im not the only teary eyed reader at the end of a harlequin! Its a disappointment to see them go.

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna Zogg | 19 comments Jolene wrote: "My first (and sadly last) book comes out in July. But I believe this groups was started and ran by the authors not LIH."

I can relate! My first and likely only LIH came out this month (May). My heart is heavy for authors, editors, and our devoted readers. Please keep reading and posting reviews. We have many months left before the doors close. And thank you!

message 48: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 340 comments :( So sad this line is ending. At least we have another year.

I am glad the LIS line isn't going too as I do love the suspense line, but I really enjoy the historical too, visiting different places and eras!

Keli - wishing you an enjoyable retirement with your husband!

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I was heart broken when I saw the Facebook post about the LIH line being discontinued. I am so happy to see that we are going to keep the group going.

message 50: by Brenda- (last edited Jun 05, 2017 10:39AM) (new)

Brenda- (brenda-w) | 86 comments Hannah wrote: "I emailed Harlequin to complain. Perhaps we all should??"
I complain every chance that I get. And also tell them how much I love reading LIH and that Christian Historical fiction is my favorite. Especially 1800's and Western.