Horror Aficionados discussion

Freaks and Greeks
This topic is about Freaks and Greeks
Author/Publisher/Etc. Promotion > Freaks and Greeks

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timothy (last edited Jul 20, 2017 05:31PM) (new)

Timothy Bowden | 8 comments A terrible plague is sweeping the ancient world. A sickness that drags the dead back from The afterlife - and when they return, they are hungry....

The Egyptian pharaohs unleashed it in their greed for immortality.

The Persian kings spread it in their hunger for empire.

Can one uninspiring Greek stand against the tide, and in so doing, save the fledgling Athenian democracy?

A new monster mash-up by the author of Undead Kelly.
Out now on Amazon, Book Depository and other carriers.

message 2: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Bowden | 8 comments Links on page weren't working - now fixed!

message 3: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Bowden | 8 comments Very pleased to receive the following Amazon review from Fred E Ray, author of several non-fiction texts on warfare in Classical Greece.

Exciting and terrifying!

ByFred E. Rayon June 28, 2017

Format: Paperback
|
Verified Purchase

I truly enjoyed Freaks and Greeks! It's quite rare to find something so entertaining and informative at the same time. While the story line includes what might seem a way-out premise, with ancient warriors facing a zombie plague, that sole fantasy element is so well tied into factual reality that never once does it seem strained. You can virtually see, hear, and (most of all) smell those terrifying creatures, experiencing the gut-level horror and disgust they inspire right along with the book's human cast. And the author certainly knows his Herodotus and Nepos, drawing on those and other sources to inject a vast store of excellent historical information into his tale. Yet he does this so cleverly that what might otherwise be pedantic melds seamlessly in service of what is in the end simply a great, ripping yarn. There's also a lot of heart here, with characters drawn from history and the writer's imagination alike that ring true in their dialogue and actions to reveal deep, multiple dimensions. They make you care about them for better or worse at an emotional level - at least that's what happened to me, with feelings often welling up unbidden as I read.

I want to make particular mention here of the book's action sequences. These are quite marvelous set pieces that give the reader a visceral feel for the strange mixture of surrounding chaos and individual focus that must have characterized this (or any other) era's battles for a sane person caught up in their inherent madness. As a writer myself of military history in this period (late 6th - early 5th century BC) and an avid consumer of its literature, both academic and fictional, I can honestly say that I've never come across anything more simultaneously thrilling and terrifying in the brutally realistic depiction of men in the grip of mortal combat. And that comes in spite of contributions from flesh-eating zombies! So skillfully has the author woven those undead monstrosities into events that it's actually hard to believe they never existed.

Bottom line: If you like either brilliantly written ancient history or truly imaginative dark fiction, then this is the book for you! And you should also check out Timothy Bowden's previous novel, Undead Kelly, which is equally well crafted.