Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raine (new)

Raine (rainelu) | 225 comments THE STARS ARE FIRE is an historical romance that also is a tale of the strength of women.

I had never heard of the great fires in Maine that happened during the fall of 1947. This book describes how some people survived and focuses on Grace, a young married with 2 children. Her husband goes off to fight the fires. Grace survives physically and mentally because of the help of strangers, her mother and one other person......

I was just riveted to this story. I can say that the character of Grace Holland is one of my heroes! Not only does she go through a change in her life because of the fires, but we see her become in 1947 what many (most) women are today. Once I got into this book I could not put it down.

Recommended.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments I cannot wait to get to this one! So glad you enjoyed it. Have you read other books by her?

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments You have added another to the long list of great reviews for this one. Thanks!

message 4: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I really enjoyed this one and gave it 4 stars, probably closer to 4.5. It's a really fast read.

Nicole R - I am pretty sure you will love this book.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I have acquired it and I think I'll make it my next read. :-)

message 6: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8345 comments I really like what I've read by Shreve so far (my favourite till now has been Testimony - I listened to the audio for that one).

I think I should add this.

message 7: by Raine (new)

Raine (rainelu) | 225 comments Nicole R wrote: "I cannot wait to get to this one! So glad you enjoyed it. Have you read other books by her?"

I'm not sure if I have read any other Anita Shreve books - maybe I did a long time ago. I have always wanted to read The Pilot's Wife. I'll have to look into her work.

message 8: by Raine (new)

Raine (rainelu) | 225 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I really like what I've read by Shreve so far (my favourite till now has been Testimony - I listened to the audio for that one).

I think I should add this."

Scratch that (question about have I read other Shreve books) - I read Testimony - lol. I liked that one too. Some of my reviews and books were lost in the Shelfari move :-(

message 9: by Raine (new)

Raine (rainelu) | 225 comments Nicole R wrote: "I cannot wait to get to this one! So glad you enjoyed it. Have you read other books by her?"

I don't think I have read any other Shreve books - maybe one a long time ago. I want to read The Pilot's Wife.

message 10: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8345 comments I don't believe I've read The Pilot's Wife.

message 11: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I've read a number of her books, all 4 stars, except the last one on the list, which I rated a 3.
Sea Glass made me ugly cry:

The Stars Are Fire
The Pilot's Wife
The Weight of Water
Sea Glass
Eden Close
Where or When

message 12: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8345 comments I read Eden Close years ago, long before shelfari. I don't remember the story at all, but for some reason, I always remembered the cover!

message 13: by Raine (new)

Raine (rainelu) | 225 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I've read a number of her books, all 4 stars, except the last one on the list, which I rated a 3.
Sea Glass made me ugly cry:

The Stars Are Fire
The Pilot's Wife
[book..."

Oh, wait - I've read THE WEIGHT OF WATER. SEA GLASS sounds really good - I need an ugly cry !!