Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Crime and Punishment
This topic is about Crime and Punishment
Book Cover Help > Add book cover

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megh (new) - added it

Megh (g0dfather93) | 21 comments Bought this book last week; the book has this cover:

http://www.amazon.in/Punishment-Maste...

Please add the same on GR; I think it has a placeholder cover for this edition (Maple Press Classics, Master's Collections). Thanks in Advance.

message 2: by David (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4070 comments On it

message 3: by David (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4070 comments I see no evidence that this is a placeholder.
We have 1581 editions of this book (counting only the ones combined) and I went over all of them and didn't find a second Maple edition with the cover you linked (one of those moments you wish GR had a proper table interface or even better, an alternate cover mechanism).
Therefore, I added it as an alternate cover edition: here

message 4: by Codex (last edited May 19, 2017 01:50AM) (new)

Codex | 3401 comments David, I think the ACE decision is correct: the (original) cover in question does show up on Amazon (UK), but strangely, not on Amazon (US). AbeBooks also has several listings showing that cover.

message 5: by Megh (last edited May 19, 2017 01:52AM) (new) - added it

Megh (g0dfather93) | 21 comments "...We have 1581 editions of this book (counting only the ones combined) and I went over all of them..." - Holy crap.

I tried to do the same but I thought "there has to be a search or a tabulating feature available to admins," which is why I posted here. I feel bad making you slog for that...

Again this must have been because this is published by Maple Press India. I guess the Indian counterparts of publishing houses are in the habit of creating arbitrary covers and "collection" variants for already published books. Might have to do something with cost cutting? I don't know.

Thanks a lot for your trouble, good Sir!

message 6: by David (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4070 comments Codex wrote: "David, I think the ACE decision is correct: the (original) cover in question does show up on Amazon (UK), but strangely, not on Amazon (US). AbeBooks also has several listings showing that cover."

Feel free to change whatever you think needs changing. After so many cases like this I create an ACE unless there is irrefutable proof that an older cover never existed.

message 7: by Megh (new) - added it

Megh (g0dfather93) | 21 comments Codex wrote: "David, I think the ACE decision is correct: the (original) cover in question does show up on Amazon (UK), but strangely, not on Amazon (US). AbeBooks also has several listings showing that cover."

I am sorry for my ignorance, but what is an ACE? Also, what are you trying to convey here? I hope you could explain a little.

message 8: by David (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4070 comments ACE is an alternate-cover edition. We create them whenever the same ISBN is used for two covers/editions/books.

message 9: by Megh (new) - added it

Megh (g0dfather93) | 21 comments Gotcha!

message 10: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3401 comments Megh wrote: “. . . but what is an ACE? Also, what are you trying to convey here? I hope you could explain a little."

ACE is an acronym (on Goodreads) for alternate cover edition. That is what David created for the new cover of your edition, which has the same ISBN as an edition already existing on Goodreads.

What I was saying is that David’s decision to create an ACE for your cover was correct, since there is evidence the older cover is valid and not a placeholder.