Catholic Thought discussion

Vision of Fatima > Vision of Fatima by Fr. Thomas McGlynn

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 3569 comments Mod
This will be our planning thread where we'll decide on a reading plan. I have not received the book yet. Hopefully it will come by this weekend. Just curious to see how many have gotten a hold of the book yet. Please post in this thread.

In the meantime, Joseph let me know that EWTN is broadcasting a discussion of our very book selection. It's on the EWTN Bookmark show hosted by Doug Keck. Typically Doug discusses the book with the author, but in case he will not be calling Fr. McGlynn back from the dead. ;) He discusses the book with Fr. Gabriel Gillen O.P. Fr. Gillen had researched the history of how Fr. Mcglynn had sculpted the various statues that he discusses in the book. The show will be broadcast on Saturday, May 20th at 1:30 PM. But I can do even better than telling you about the show; I can give you a link to youtube of the show.

So to whet you appetite for the read, watch here for a discussion of Vision of Fatima.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGleQ...

I've watched and it does not give anything away. It only made me excited to start reading.

message 2: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments Still looking for a copy that I can borrow or get inexpensively second-hand. Meanwhile, I found that I can borrow the other Fatima title that was nominated. So, if I can't get The Vision of Fatima, I will read the Shepherds of Fatima. Even if I can't read the book with everyone, maybe I can contribute something by reading another book on the same topic. If not, well, hopefully I will have the good sense to keep silent. LOL.

message 3: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments Loretta, I am going to read The Shepherds of Fatima, but I don't want to do anything in this group that might look as if I am trying to pull attention or participation away from our chosen read.

message 4: by John (new)

John Seymour | 167 comments I wanted to make sure I had it on time, so I got the Kindle version on my Ipad. I'm ready to go. :^)

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments I would enjoy sharing the book with you, but I just don't want to step on toes or make anyone uncomfortable.

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike I have it on Kindle. I am looking forward to our reading.

message 7: by Manny (new)

Irene wrote: "Loretta, I am going to read The Shepherds of Fatima, but I don't want to do anything in this group that might look as if I am trying to pull attention or participation away from our chosen read."

Well it would be distracting if you discussed a different book in the same thread as the book club read. But you could go back and forth on the "Currently Reading" thread.

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 55 comments I received my copy today and am ready to start reading any time. Thanks for posting the video, Manny. I will watch that in the meantime.

message 9: by Manny (new)

Kristen wrote: "I received my copy today and am ready to start reading any time. Thanks for posting the video, Manny. I will watch that in the meantime."

That's great. I should have received it today but did not. Hopefully tomorrow.

message 10: by Manny (new)

Hey guys. I checked Amazon tracking and it projects me receiving the book by mid week. Boy, their shipping has gotten slow. But I always go for the free shipping option.

However, I do want to start you guys reading. I want to put together a reading plan for the discussion. Since I didn't have the book, I didn't have the chapter lengths, but I did ask Loretta for the number of pages in each chapter. Here is what she sent me:

Chapter 1 - 10 pages
Chapter 2 - 10 pages
Chapter 3 - 9 pages
Chapter 4 - 8 pages
Chapter 5 - 11 pages
Chapter 6 - 6 pages
Chapter 7 - 10 pages
Chapter 8 - 10 pages
Chapter 9 - 8 pages
Chapter 10 - 9 pages
Chapter 11 - 13 pages
Chapter 12 - 8 pages
Chapter 13 - 11 pages
Chapter 14 - 18 pages
Chapter 15 - 11 pages
Chapter 16 - 10 pages
Chapter 17 - 12 pages
Chapter 18 - 10 pages
Chapter 19 - 7 pages
Chapter 20 - 8 pages
Epilogue - 2 pages

What I'm going to propose is reading between 30 and 40 pages per week. Some of us have multiple reads going on (in addition to work and family) and I think this is a moderate pace. So I'm going to propose a six week reading plan. Here's how I think it divides, and I start off slowly the first week to allow people to still acquire the book, and end slowly the last week to allow for people to catch up.

Week 1: Chapters 1, 2, 3 for 29 pages
Week 2: Chapters 4, 5, 6, 7 for 35 pages
Week 3: Chapters 8, 9, 10, 11 for 40 pages
Week 4: Chapters 12, 13, 14 for 37 pages
Week 5: Chapters 15, 16, 17 for 33 pages
Week 6: Chapters 18, 19, 20, Epi for 27 pages

How does this sound? If anyone would prefer a different plan, please respond. We can discuss. If acceptable, go ahead and start reading. This week can be considered Week 1, which will culminate on May 28th where I'll open the discussion thread for the first bracket of chapters.

For those new to our group, our unofficial protocol is to read a block of pages before we comment on them. This allows most to be at the same place in the book.

So how is this plan?

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 55 comments Sounds just right to me!

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike This looks like a good six week plan; ending slowly also allows a little additional time for reflection.

message 13: by Gerri (last edited May 24, 2017 05:40PM) (new)

Gerri Bauer (gerribauer) | 142 comments Thanks Manny for the reading plan and link. I've downloaded the book on Kindle and look forward to reading and discussing. Very excited about the EWTN Bookmark show! Going there soon as I post this. :)

message 14: by Manny (new)

Gerri wrote: "Thanks Manny for the reading plan and link. I've downloaded the book on Kindle and look forward to reading and discussing. Very excited about the EWTN Bookmark show! Going there soon as I post this..."

My pleasure Gerri. Can you imagine? I still haven't received my copy. I prefer paper copies to ebooks. As soon as I get the book, I'll set up the first week's read discussion thread.

message 15: by Manny (new)

Ha! I finally got the book. I already read the first chapter. It reads fast. I will have the first discussion thread up by Sunday. Hope people are enjoying it. The first chapter was interesting.

message 16: by Manny (new)

OK, I started the first week's discussion thread on the first three chapters. I gave a brief summary to each chapter. Feel free to start the discussion.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 182 comments Bought this on my nook today, so it looks like I need to start reading. Looking forward to joining the discussion and to sharing what I read with my Carmelite son.

message 18: by Manny (new)

Lisa wrote: "Bought this on my nook today, so it looks like I need to start reading. Looking forward to joining the discussion and to sharing what I read with my Carmelite son."

We're looking forward to having you Lisa. Is your son reading too?

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 182 comments Manny wrote: "This will be our planning thread where we'll decide on a reading plan. I have not received the book yet. Hopefully it will come by this weekend. Just curious to see how many have gotten a hold of t..."

Just finished watching this, even more excited to start reading!

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 182 comments Manny wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Bought this on my nook today, so it looks like I need to start reading. Looking forward to joining the discussion and to sharing what I read with my Carmelite son."

We're looking forw..."
He can only read what his superiors assign. So I will be sharing my impressions with him.

message 21: by Manny (new)

I hope people who are reading the book come over to read this. I was browsing through my diocese newspaper - Catholic New York - and they had an article about Fr. McGlynn and his Fatima statue this edition. Read here for the online version: http://cny.org/stories/st-john-paul-i...

The article speaks about the May 13 feast day and that they had on display a sash from Pope St John Paul II he was wearing when he was shot on May 13, 1981. In addition it was held at a church where Fr. McGlynn's actual statue is placed as a shrine, St. Vincent Ferrer Church in mid town Manhattan. From the article:

"Father McGlynn was commissioned by a distributor of religious goods to make the statue shortly after the Second World War, when devotion to Our Lady of Fatima began to spread beyond Portugal. Although he was confident his representation of Mary was accurate, based on his research, he determined to show a small model of it to Sister Lucia, the only surviving seer, for confirmation.

Carrying a letter of introduction from Cardinal Francis Spellman to the bishop of Lisbon, Portugal, he got permission to visit Sister Lucia at her convent. When he finally met Sister Lucia, Father McGlynn was surprised and disappointed when she politely told him his statue was inaccurate.

He remained at the convent and under Sister Lucia’s direction, produced an entirely new statue. In his memoir, Father McGlynn said Sister Lucia corrected his ideas of the appearance of Our Lady of Fatima and also explained to him the spiritual vision of Fatima and encouraged him to make it better known.

The sculptor came home for the dedication at St. Vincent Ferrer of the redesigned statue on Mother’s Day, 1947. By cruel coincidence, his mother, who planned to attend the event, died while he was en route home, and lay in a funeral parlor across from the church as he preached at the dedication. Father Devaney said from that day, Father McGlynn looked at Mary as his mother, in much the way St. John Paul did."

Now isn't that fascinating. His mother actually died while he was on his way home. I wonder if that will come up in the book.

Since I live in New York City, I will now have to make a little pilgrimage to the shrine and see the actual statue. I'f I'm allowed to take pictures I will and post it for everyone here. It may be a couple of weeks before I can get some free time to travel there. It's not exactly next door. I don't live in Manhattan.

message 22: by Mike (new)

Mike This is a great piece of background information, thank you for posting. Things like this add so much to the read.

message 23: by Manny (new)

In my hard copy National Catholic Register (May 28th edition, I know I'm behind) the front page article was on the events of the 100th Anniversary, which obviously had occurred on May 13th. It was a great read and I found the article on line. Here, if you wish to read it:

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/...

message 24: by Manny (new)

My pleasure Loretta.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 182 comments Manny wrote: "In my hard copy National Catholic Register (May 28th edition, I know I'm behind) the front page article was on the events of the 100th Anniversary, which obviously had occurred on May 13th. It was ..."

Thank you for sharing this, Manny.