CanadianContent discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives 2017 > w/o May 19 to 25, 2017

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3530 comments Mod
Welcome to the Victoria Day long weekend!!!! I was curious about the holiday and whether it was celebrated across all of Canada and it is a stat holiday honouring Queen Victoria's birthday across the country. In Quebec it is called "National Patriotes Day" (Journée nationale des patriotes).

Whatever holiday, everyone is celebrating, I am hoping for nice weather and some downtime to catch up on my reading!

What are you reading this weekend?

message 2: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments In Bermuda we do BDA Day May 24th and now do the Queens Birthday (which we now call Hero's Day in June).

I am working this weekend but plan on finishing The Underground Railroad, and getting into I,Lucifer both for my BDA bookclub.

I am also reading the first book in the inspector gamache series for the buddy read so I can get to book 2 for the actual read.

Almost done my reread of The Handmaids Tale.

message 3: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited May 19, 2017 04:33AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments It’s officially the Victoria Day holiday on Monday, but this weekend is always referred to as “the 24th of May” or “May 24th” in Newfoundland, regardless of the date the weekend actually falls. It’s also called “the May two-four weekend” in more recent years (a nice drinking reference, which closely approximates the sentiment of the weekend). The premise of the weekend is that virtually everyone goes camping. Cabins, campers, tents, you name it, will all be full here this weekend. I’m linking the Buddy Wasisname video for The Pits, which sums it up nicely!

https://youtu.be/0KybSXc44uI

message 4: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited May 19, 2017 04:38AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments This week, I finished reading A Fatal Grace/Dead Cold, which was just okay for me. I just can’t jump on the bandwagon that so reveres Armand Gamache. No matter how many cozy mysteries I tear through, I remain loyal to Flavia de Luce always!

I’ve just started reading East of Eden as part of my goal to read at least five classic novels each year. It’s not a huge goal, I know, but it helps to keep some of the highly publicized, in-your-face fiction at bay.

I’m currently listening to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which in my opinion falls into the classic category as well. I think any book that’s still going strong after almost forty years deserves that title. It was first published in 1979.

The other audiobook I finished this week was The Mothers. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me. It was great! Something about the femininity of it reminded me of The Break a little.

My upcoming books include Into the Water, Anything Is Possible, and A Trio of Tolerable Tales.

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments Hi all!

I only made progress on two books this week, and finished none. Post-vacation-catch-up. (Post-vacation-blues! @Rainey, I want to move to Bermuda!!)

I am about 60% through the first Louise Penny book, Still Life, and will move onto the second one next for the Buddy Read. (Sadly, I've realized that that means I'm not going to fit in The Handmaid's Tale this month. Bummer.)

I'm also about a third of the way through Setting Free the Kites in audio. I'm finding it pretty flat and even boring. I'm choosing to turn on the news instead of listen to the book, which is fine, but means that the book is dragging on a bit. I guess I'll finish it, but so far I'm left wanting.

I have this massive pile of books beside my bed that I'm just not getting to, including two for my bookclub with my 12 year old daughter (she's ahead of me now!) and it's mildly stressing me out! I don't read as much during the summer, as the kids are all over the place and I work from home, so am perpetually behind. So by the end of May, I see the books piling up, knowing I won't really be getting to some of them until September! Ugh. Where is that winning lottery ticket!?

message 6: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Happy Friday everyone!
Last weekend I finished Anne of Green Gables for my classic challenge. It was a refreshing read after the dark The Edible Woman.
Then I started reading a much-hyped YA novel The Hate U Give. It's just ok for me, although the GR ratings are pretty high.
It has been very busy this week at home, so reading suffers. I am hoping to get some quality time this weekend. Maybe I'll read Forty Words for Sorrow as the last book for this month's challenge.
Enjoy the long weekend!! Happy Reading!

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments @Allison, I LOVED East of Eden! Perhaps my fave book ever! I hope you love it too.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments Happy long weekend, everyone!

This week I finished Heyday, which I enjoyed. The ending maybe wasn't as strong as it could have been but I loved the Toronto Islands setting. Because one storyline is set in 1909, I ended up looking up archival photos of the Islands at that time, which was a lot of fun.

I'm now reading Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief, which is very interesting but I'll admit to already being completely baffled by how anyone could have found Hubbard and his ideas appealing. I'm also reading Scott Pilgrim, Volume 5: Scott Pilgrim Vs. the Universe.

This week I got to meet Omar El Akkad, author of American War, at a book event. We talked a bit about Toronto, which was fun. I eavesdropped while he was talking to the bookseller about his reporting on Omar Khadr's case and then realized I've probably read a lot of El Akkad's journalism, since I followed that story fairly closely. Now I just have to find time to read American War!

message 9: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited May 19, 2017 06:12AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments @Allison, I just started last night and it is soooo long. It's daunting. I listened to Of Mice and Men a while back and read The Grapes of Wrath years ago. Loved both so I think this book will be worth it.

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments ༺ Allison ༻ wrote: "I’m linking the Buddy Wasisname video for The Pits, which sums it up nicely! https://youtu.be/0KybSXc44uI
..."

Haha! Perfect!

message 11: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited May 19, 2017 06:14AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments Susan wrote: "This week I got to meet Omar El Akkad, author of American War, at a book event. We talked a bit about Toronto, which was fun. I eavesdropped while he was talking to the bookseller about his reporting on Omar Khadr's case and then realized I've probably read a lot of El Akkad's journalism, since I followed that story fairly closely. Now I just have to find time to read American War! "

I won a copy of this book in a giveaway and need to read it soon. It's getting such great reviews. I can't wait.

message 12: by Petra (last edited May 19, 2017 06:56AM) (new)

Petra | 651 comments Good morning! It is Victoria Day weekend here in BC. It's usually the first weekend of summer activity with a lot of campers getting out for the first time. This Spring is rather cold and rainy, so I'm not sure how many people booked a campsite......it's supposed to get hot over the weekend, so those who booked should have a very nice weekend.

@Allison, I wasn't hooked on Inspector Gamache's series until the third book. I can't remember what turned the series around for me. At some point, I became aware of a background story that wove itself through the entire series. Perhaps that started in the third volume, I can't say.
I'm also a Flavia fan and have loved that series since the first book.

Hitchhiker's is a fun read. I mean to reread it one day.

message 13: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 405 comments Hey everyone;
I am working my way through Alias Grace which I am loving, but it is a pretty thick book, so it may take me a while to get through.

I also am reading Walt which is a quirky light hearted read so far. I have been planning on reading this book "next" for about two years, finally got to it.

I am also listening to Yes Please by Amy Poehler Amy narrates this herself, but she has quite a few guests come in and read and make commentary. I would recommend that this be listened to rather than read.

message 14: by Petra (last edited May 19, 2017 07:04AM) (new)

Petra | 651 comments I've finished a few books this week. I had the week off and came down with a cold at the beginning of the week, which led to more reading time.

I finished an audio of Ulysses last week. It's not my first time through the book but the first audio "read". I found the audio wonderful. Much easier to understand than when reading it because one can distinguish between actual events and "inner" events much easier.

I've now started listening to The Japanese Lover, which I'm enjoying. Being off of work this week means I haven't listened much.

I've finished reading The Blind Contessa's New Machine and Whistling Past the Graveyard.
I found Contessa to be a poor read. One could see the ending almost from the beginning, so it was very lackluster.
I really liked Whistling. The characters are memorable, the story suspenseful and Starla's growth heartwarming. Set in the South, in 1963, when the Civil Rights movement was getting ugly.

I'm currently reading The L-Shaped Room and continuing with Proust.

message 15: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited May 19, 2017 07:05AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "I am also listening to Yes Please by Amy Poehler Amy narrates this herself, but she has quite a few guests come in and read and make commentary. I would recommend that this be listened to rather than read."

I keep meaning to listen to this audiobook but never seem to get around to it. I listened to Bossypants by Tina Fey, which she narrates, and I was in tears laughing most of the time. Since I play audiobooks in the car, other drivers probably thought I was nuts.

message 16: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments @Allison, I read Still Life last year. It moved a bit slow for me. Maybe I'll "buddy" up to read the 2nd one with you guys :)
@Heather, I too plan to read Alias Grace before the mini-series come out in September. The trailer just came out. Glad you are liking it.

message 17: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 251 comments Hi all!

We had a heat wave here earlier this week but are back to spring temperatures for the long weekend, which is fine by me. Bit of a harried week, and I am hoping to get some relaxing reading in this weekend.

@Allisons both, I've never read any Steinbeck, but feel I should.

@Petra, I've had The L-Shaped Room on my to-read list for a long while. Will be interested to know what you think of it!

This week I devoured The Break. Late to the party in this group, but I thought it was tremendous. I had the opportunity to go to a discussion about it with Candy Palmater and Tanya Talaga as well, which was quite interesting.

Since then, I've been reading Swing Time, Zadie Smith's new novel. About halfway through and really enjoying her writing, as usual.

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments Looking forward to meeting my brand new preemie great niece this weekend! (born at 32 weeks the other day, 3 lb 14 oz and doing well) As thrilled as I am, my sister, the new grandma, is absolutely beside herself with joy!

This week, I finished a giveaway book, My Italian Bulldozer by Alexander McCall Smith which was an easy, delightful read. Back to Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler for a classic Canadian book. Not classic by years, I guess, but the author is a classic Canadian author so I think it counts! Also have another light read which I'm very much enjoying, The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion and Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man by William Shatner which is very interesting, being just as much about Shatner and acting in general as it is about Nimoy and their friendship.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1632 comments Congrats on the newest addition to your family!

message 20: by Megan (last edited May 19, 2017 01:45PM) (new)

Megan | 461 comments Happy Long Weekend! My Grandpa had this saying about Victoria Day: "The 24th of May is the Queen's Birthday. If we don't get a holiday we'll all run away!". It's silly but it's such a great memory of him.
I finished reading Company Town. *yawn*. This book did not grab me at all. I have lots to say about it but don't want to throw out any spoilers, especially about the ending.

I read a cozy mystery, Downward Facing Death, that was a decent palate cleanser. I also struggled through Journey Without Goal: The Tantric Wisdom of the Buddha...this was not a beginner book.
Now I'm about to start Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. I feel like I'm super late to this book party. I want to read it before I watch the movie (if I ever get a chance to.)

I also saw the trailer for Alias Grace last night, it looks so great!

message 21: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments ༺ Allison ༻ wrote: "Heather(Gibby) wrote: "I am also listening to Yes Please by Amy Poehler Amy narrates this herself, but she has quite a few guests come in and read and make commentary. I would recommend that this b..."

I also listened to Yes Please a couple of weeks ago, and seriously agree with @Heather that this is probably MUCH better in audio than on the paper! The "guest appearances" really add a lot.

message 22: by Shannon (last edited May 19, 2017 10:20AM) (new)

Shannon White | 198 comments This week I finished The Gilded Yearswhich was quite enjoyable and a little lighter than I expected.

Also finished The Choices We Make for book club. Reminded me of a slightly less effective version of Jodi Picoult. Entertaining but slushy if that makes sense.

Then I whipped through A Trial in Venicewhich is the third book in the midwife of Venice series. Getting a little watery but still entertaining.

That seems like a lot of fluffy books so I'm thinking I will start School of Velocity next. Seems a little more literary but short.

Lots of great books mentioned above this week. Loved The Japanese Lover. Also went through a big Steinbeck phases ages ago.... liked Cannery Row

message 23: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments Sounds like many of have had a challenging week (even Dianes neice, a positive event, but preemee so not without risk. My she live long and prosper! May all of us with the on again off again virus be free of it already!
I can sympathize with Allison, its so hard not to fall into the blahs after a vacation that gave you a taste of freedom. Don't force yourself to read anything at all until the urge to read takes over.
Other Allison, a goal of 5 classics a year is huge for me,mine is 1. I am not big on classics other than the ones I already love. I like to read international fiction and commentary to balance out Canadadian reads. I do understand why some people like Steinbeck. I have read two, when I was much younger and in California. I ate at one of his restraunts. I prepared to love him: my bf did. I so didnt. I wish I never read of mice and Men.

@Susan whose reading Heyday... How did you find it? I read her debut novel and went from liking it at lot to big meh. I notice I wrote a withering review. Hope she has pulled this one off.
@Rainey I was just about to start Underground railway when the library wanted it back for a hold. So waiting for it, again.

@Megan, Theres a movie of CStrayeds book!! Must see it somehow. It took me a good while to warm up to her, but I did, then wished I hadnt been so suspicious. Hope you enjoy as much as I finally did.

I have 15 minutes remaining here, so will focus on my Friday report. It was a discombobulating week for me as I slept over in the city for two nights and also was housesitting.I was separated from the books I was immersed in, but it just wasnt feasible to take them all with. So I was interrupted in my reading of Steven HeightonAfterlands, Walking to Japan: A Memoir, and Bloody Jack. I took with me Marjorie CelonaY which I had yet finished before I got back. So I finished all of them, all very different and all terrific.. Except for those bloody poems. I do have more to go

message 24: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Allison - funny video!! thanks for a chuckle.

@Emmakay - if you are interested in a guest post about your Candy Palmateer discussion about the Break, please let me know! Same offer to you @Susan after meeting Omar El Akkad!

@Heather and May -Alias Grace is on my TBR priority list too!!!

@Diane - congrats!!!

@Megan - great saying by your grandfather! it exactly fits my week!

my reading this week has been limited between my son breaking his wrist, my daughter's duck hatching science project (we now have one cute little duckling) and a crazy week at work.

I did finish The Handmaid's Tale last weekend and LOVED the reread which seemed very much fresh after a gap of 25 years. I am in the midst of listening to Juliet's Answer: One Man's Search for Love and the Elusive Cure for Heartbreak which was mentioned in this group and enjoying it. The author is coming to the Grimsby author series in the fall so I am getting a head start.

I have started a reread of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for my book club (should be engaging discussion), The Weekend Effect: The Life-Changing Benefits of Taking Two Days Off - hoping to get some tips to slow down and Rainbow Valley as my YA book for the May challenge so hope to slow down and get some reading in this weekend!

message 25: by Mj (last edited May 19, 2017 08:52PM) (new)

Mj Hello Everyone!!

Great reads as usual. All I can add is ditto to Magdelanye's comment - read "when" you "want" and also add "what" you "want". Nothing takes the pleasure out of reading for me more than feeling like I "have" to read more or "have" to finish a book. Similarly, reading gets kind of spoiled when I feel the need to read "less fluffy" books. I think we each know ourselves better than anyone else......and therefore we always make the "perfect choice for ourselves and for our psyche for that particular point in time."

Enough book philosophy!!

Congrats Diane on your family addition. Hope you found all those special children's books for your great niece's library. Am intrigued by My Italian Bulldozer. As a foodie and lover of all things Italian....sounds like something I would enjoy. Am watching Lidia's Kitchen as I write this and totally salivating.

I'm not an audio fan but there seems to be a lot of books that might be better in audio than print. I read Tina Fey's book for a book club and thought it was ok. Am not really an Amy Poehler fan, so maybe audio is worth exploring.

Shannon, I read the first book in the Midwives of Venice series for a book club a while ago and enjoyed it. I was fascinated by the midwifery aspects and the culture and big gap between the rich and poor in Venice during this period. I enjoyed this historical fiction but haven't read more. Thanks for the reminder.

Allison - you were looking for a book set in Venice. I noticed that Diane rated the first book in the 3 book series The Midwife of Venice at 4 stars and Shannon 5 stars. Might be worth a try. The author Roberta Rich is Canadian (an American transplant spending half her time in Canada (Vancouver Island I think) and half in Mexico - the retirement I dream of since I can't afford Bermuda, The Bahamas or the south of Italy for a longer term winter stay. I can dream however.

Susan Heyday looks interesting and I still have Swing Time on my to read list Emmkay....though I'm currently focussing on Canadian reads for my Bingo squares.

༺ Allison ༻ & others who think the Inspector Gamache/Three Pines Series starts very slowly. I think Petra's comments are pretty spot on. Inspector Gamache and the other characters grow on you with each book. You get to know them better and they become friends. I also think the complexity of Louise Penny's books increases from the first novel forward. The first book was perhaps a singular plot but later on, I think there are maybe 3 plots intertwined. Hang in there. I think the series will grow on you. But for sure....her books are NOT THRILLERS. They are not fast paced with twists and turns. They are old fashioned police procedurals....with the big plus being its character development and Penny's use of philosophy, poetry, history etc. in the story using Inspector Gamache, a true Renaissance man as the vehicle. Have to love the Quebec setting and culture as well. Can you tell???? I'm a fan.

My reads this week:

I finished For Joshua : An Ojibway Father Teaches His Son by Richard Wagamese. Despite it being sad, I quite enjoyed it. Wagamese really made himself vulnerable and bared his innermost fears, feelings of lack of self-worth and the many poor choices and mistakes he made, without hesitation or holding back. I got a real sense of the pain and sorrow he suffered for most of his life. I hope his estranged son Joshua was able to receive his dad's explanation and peace offering with the love that seemed to come with it. Am also glad that Wagamese was able to share this story of himself with his son, even if in book format only, before he passed on. I suspect it gave Wagamese some peace and a bit of closure.

Am also about 60% finished The Fire-Dwellers by Margaret Laurence - the third book in her Manawaka series for the Classic Bingo Square. So far, I am not connecting quite as much with the central female character in this book as I did with the primary female characters in her first 2 books but the writing is terrific and Laurence uses inner voice and thoughts even more heavily than she did in the first 2 books. She was way ahead of her time as an innovator. Laurence has not used quotation marks for anyone speaking at any point so far and this book was first published almost 50 years ago.

Looking forward to a big reading weekend and completing more Bingo Squares......plus I have 2 short-listed Women's Fiction books out of the library (the only ones available from the library to read.) Hopefully, I will complete them before the June 7th Winner announcement, although I'm definitely routing for Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien.

Have a great long weekend everyone!! And a wonderful week ahead!!

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1905 comments @MJ -- Have added The Midwife of Venice to Mount TBR!! Thanks!

message 27: by Mj (last edited May 19, 2017 06:01PM) (new)

Mj @ Allison - You're welcome but it was Shannon in Post 22 who reminded me of this book and series. Shannon and Diane might have more to add or feel differently but I would say it's an interesting historical fiction palate cleanser. The Venice setting is a great character that Rich describes well.

message 28: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments saved my comments below just in time before the cutoff but lost the post script. So I need to add that I also read two little books, very different, both excellent. Many of you have read Joseph Boydens Wenjack and liked it. I approached it with trepidation but I thought it was precious, in the best sense of the word. I loved how he dived into the minds of the animals, and the end was softened somewhat by his fancy.Varamo was a total surprise, my first Cesar Aria.Both these little books carried a lot to ponder.
I've begun The Hidden Life of Trees and wish there was a Canadian edition for our quite different variety. The principles remain the same, tho, and its a terrific book.
Short story fiends take note: I've begun the rather daunting (600+ pages, 85 stories) Complete Stories by Clarice Lispector.
@Mj, I agree with your agreement plus corollary re how the feeling of obligation can spoil a book. However: I will have to read 3 stories a day if I want to finish before due date. Its hard to escape self imposed pressure like this; I'm the library pig responsible for special ordering so many books.
.Cheers everyone, enjoy the long weekend!

message 29: by Mj (new)

Mj @ Magdelayne - love your new self-declared handle - the library pig - I'm still smiling!!! :-) cheers back at you!!

message 30: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 565 comments Lots of great reads as always in the group, too many to comment on but I have added many to my list.

A quiet reading week for me, only focused on one book, despite having about 6 on the go. I'm almost done Go Ask Alice which I never read in school, it has some interesting controversy surrounding it.

My library book club is reading A Man Called Ove which I have already read and loved but will be glancing through this weekend as a refresher. I still haven't got to watch the movie...I am one of those people that truly doesn't read a book more than once ever so this will be going against my grain.

Happy Long weekend everyone!

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments @MJ and Magdelanye I totally agree about reading when and what you want. Life's too short to read something because you think you should. Mind you, I've done that and ended up enjoying the book, likely because it wasn't that far out of my comfort zone. It's also the reason I always have 3 or 4 books on the go, I can read what I'm in the mood for on a given day or hour.

My Italian Bulldozer was a lovely little book. I like McCall Smith's books, they are spare and uplifting quick reads. Yes I remember reading the first Midwife in Venice book, I haven't read the rest but probably will at some point. It ticks a couple of my boxes, historical fiction, Venice (or any travel location). I enjoy reading books and watching movies based in locations where you get a good feel for the surroundings, that makes me want to travel there! On my travel blog I write posts occasionally called "traveling through the movies" and I have done one or two "traveling through books". I do have a book blog but the traveling aspect seems to suit the other one better .

message 32: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Wanda - I read Go Ask Alice as a teen, do you think it would still resonate with the teens of today?

message 33: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 565 comments @Susan- I just finished reading it this a.m. and I'm not convinced they could relate to all of it. It was my 13 yr old daughter that had saw the book in the store and wanted to buy it, I decided to read it first. Things were a bit "nicer" in the 70's... It still paints a disturbing picture of how life can be quickly ruined by the introduction to drugs. A colleague of mine (who is more than a decade younger) told me that they had read it in school and it still haunts her to this day, so I suppose it has the scare factor. I'll have to get my daughter to share on her thoughts when she reads it.

message 34: by Gillian (last edited May 20, 2017 11:16AM) (new)

Gillian | 229 comments Hi all! I'm back after a short break. We survived our cross country move as did all our stuff.

I haven't been reading a whole lot, mainly bouncing between books. The last CanLit book I read was Kuessipan by Naomi Fontaine. It's a short, beautiful book that reads like flash fiction, painting a portrait of a community. I recommend it if anyone is looking for a book for the Indigenous author square or the translated from French square.

This weekend I'm looking to finish The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. I bought it years ago at a used book sale and never picked it up. I'm over half way through now and really enjoying it. The blend of prose, narrative and characters is really well done in crafting the story.

message 35: by Petra (last edited May 21, 2017 07:27PM) (new)

Petra | 651 comments Emmkay wrote: "@Petra, I've had The L-Shaped Room on my to-read list for a long while. Will be interested to know what you think of it!..."

Emmkay, I finished and enjoyed The L-Shaped Room, with the caveat that it is very dated and a story of its time.
There is a lot of racism (Blacks & Jews) and homophobia. One review stated that the author herself was appalled at the racism at the 50-year anniversary of this book's publishing. It shows that we've come a long way since the 50s. .
The story of Jane's pregnancy in a time where a single woman having a child is considered "loose" and a "tart" is interesting.
If you can overlook some racial & homophobic ideas, this is a warm, interesting story of a young, unmarried pregnant woman who has to come to terms with her situation.
I am going to try to find the second book. The main characters are warm and I'd like to see how their lives progress.

Another book about a single pregnant woman coming to terms with her situation is Margaret Drabble's The Millstone. I read this too many years ago to state any specifics but I remember thinking it was fantastic.

message 36: by ❀ Susan (new)

Just saw this poem in a meme on twitter and thought of all of you:

“Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.”

― Arnold Lobel

message 37: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 565 comments @Susan The poem is so true! Happy Victoria Day!

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan | 723 comments Haha, love the poem!

message 39: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 251 comments @Petra - thanks, it does sound interesting! Now I will be forewarned. That's the tricky thing with older books sometimes, isn't it? I've also always meant to give Margaret Drabble a try.

@Susan, thank you for the kind guest blog offer! I think I probably should have taken notes and so on, were I to take you up on it - but next time I go to a Canadian author event, I'll let you know ahead of time and see if a guest blog post might work. What fun!

message 40: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments @Susan,

I owe you an article. Will get working on it.

message 41: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments @Susan, love the poem! Thanks for the reminder :)

message 42: by ❀ Susan (new)

No pressure for anyone but an open offer if you are interested in a guest post about an author event. :)

message 43: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 198 comments @Susan - you thought of all of us growing a long beard??? Yikes! :)

Thanks for sharing.

message 44: by ❀ Susan (new)

Lol - I hope that we don't get long beards but know the tbr piles are daunting!

message 45: by Mary (new)

Mary | 313 comments @ ❀ Susan Thanks for the poem. I think I would like to take my books with me after I die for I might need infinity to read all the books in my tbr.

message 46: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments I can't die, I have too much to read!

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments I need to be independently wealthy so I can read as much as I can.

This is also why I stopped feeling guilty about giving up on some books, there's too many books I want to read!

message 48: by Mj (last edited May 27, 2017 12:38PM) (new)

Mj Shvaugn wrote: "Hi all! I'm back after a short break. We survived our cross country move as did all our stuff.

I haven't been reading a whole lot, mainly bouncing between books. The last CanLit book I read was [b..."

Hi Shvaugn,

Just checking back into this Friday Spine Crackers and noticed that new posts have been entered after my comments.

Didn't realize you were awol - saw some good recommendations for our June Group's read from you. I too enjoyed [book:Kuessipan|11741699] and learning more about a way of life I was unfamiliar with. It's amazing that Naomi Fontaine was only 23 years old when she wrote it and disappointing that she hasn't written anything since.

I had no idea that you were moving cross-country. I did read that you were moving when school was done....but mistakenly assumed you were moving out of expensive space close to the university to somewhere else in Ottawa. Did you move westward closer to home or east to new opportunities.....although I understand that job and study opportunities are really tight right now? Good luck with whatever you've decided.

Also congrats on your Bingo Progress (other thread - Bingo commentary.)!! Glad you're back with more comments and ideas to input!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.