Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

The One-in-a-Million Boy
This topic is about The One-in-a-Million Boy
The One-in-a-Million Boy > Ona Finds Out About the Boy

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
When Quinn first arrived at Ona’s house to complete his boy’s commitment, he couldn’t bring himself to tell Ona that the boy was gone. Was this understandable? Was it fair to Ona, who assumed the boy was like all the other boys, “a layabout with no follow-through” (46)?

When Ona discovers that the boy has died, she is hurt and feels tricked into believing he was like all the other boys. She is upset that not even the scoutmaster called her to inform her, even though she and the boy had plans.

Did you think that Ted, the scoutmaster, should have reached out to her to explain why the boy hadn’t shown up for weeks, and warned her that the father would be showing up suddenly?

message 2: by Karen (last edited May 20, 2017 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments The poor woman is so hurt; finally someone who is paying attention to her, looking forward to their visits....someone she has learned to love in such a short period of time. I think she loved, as I did, the boy's uniqueness and enthusiasm. Ted should have informed her of the child's death.

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 50 comments I can't believe that the scoutmaster would not have shared that prior to the dad or another scout going. She was robbed of the chance to say goodbye to him and it made it more difficult for dad to tell her.

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Someone should have told her for sure. I think if I was the father, I would have wanted to tell her myself. I thought it was a bit odd that he didn't say anything, but thankfully I have never lost a child and I guess you have no idea how you might act or feel.