Debate discussion

The Government > Government and Obesity

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittanylewis) | 2 comments In the book "Junk" by Christopher Largen, the government has waged a war against obesity by prohibiting and criminalizing junk food in much the same way the war on drugs is currently conducted. Obesity is definitely a health issue many Americans face. However, how much control do you think the government should have over this issue and what, if anything, do you think should be done?

(Note: Please keep this debate clean. No derogatory remarks towards anyone. Thanks.)

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments I don't think the government should have anything to do with it really. It's all the people's choice on how they want to live and the manufacturer's of food on how much fat-induced products they put in there. How can the government control that? They can't really. Food would never be the same and people would rebel.

(by the way, i doubt your little "Note:" will stay that way.)

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
(feel free to insult, courtesy of the mods)

message 4: by Erik (new)

Erik (charkol) black market twinkies...I love it.

message 5: by Brittany (last edited Aug 02, 2009 12:24PM) (new)

Brittany (brittanylewis) | 2 comments Emily - I agree with you on the government not controlling what is made. What about informing people, however, of the contents of food and the health effects of eating large quantities of it?

As far as my "little note" , I don't think it's too much to ask to have an educated debate without slinging insults.

Erik- Have you read "Junk"? If you haven't, you should. It's hilarious and insightful.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

It's not the nature of the note. It's to whom the authority to make such a request is invested.

message 7: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments God Lauren, cut it out, maybe she just wants people's opinions.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

You obviously misinterpreted my tone of voice concerning my message. I was merely stating, nothing more. :)

message 9: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Obese people....it's their responsability and no one elses. They're adults with control over their own bodies. I have little sympathy for them.

Same with bulimics etc...who're far grosser that obese people! EW!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Lorna wrote: "Same with bulimics etc...who're far grosser that obese people! EW! "

Ignorant jerk.

message 11: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments *sigh* W weren't supposed to insult but w.e, i agree with J that you are being extremely cold to both obese and bulimic people, and i doubt that you have ever been in either of those places in your life and therefore have no right to label or judge them.

message 12: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments We all have some control over our surroundings. We can't just say 'oh but I couldn't help it' - that's bullshit. If you really want to stop something, you will find a way.

message 13: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments So...you think being bulimic isn't gross? I totally is! Not just the vomiting - the result. Theres nothing more repulsive than bones jutting out of someone's body.

message 14: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Im gona stay outta this........

message 15: by AnnaLynne (new)

AnnaLynne | 405 comments same...

message 16: by Sheeky (last edited Aug 02, 2009 08:29PM) (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) I find it slightly insulting

message 17: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Sorry.

message 18: by AnnaLynne (new)

AnnaLynne | 405 comments Same...

message 19: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) It's okay.....

message 20: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Why do you find it insulting?

message 21: by AnnaLynne (new)

AnnaLynne | 405 comments Because you said that they're gross.

message 22: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Because I'm kinda sorta...overweight.....

message 23: by AnnaLynne (new)

AnnaLynne | 405 comments And that's insulting to the people that are Bulimic.

message 24: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Being overweight isn't a problem - having your life in danger from either obesity or bulimia/anorexia...that's a problem.

And then people act like they don't know how it happened! I just dont get it...

message 25: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Bullimia is slightly different then obesity, obesity is a result of being ignorant, as you put shit into your body without caring, bulimia is a mental illness.

And, as a side note, when you have bulimia it is possible to maintain a normal weight...it's just about how you eat and how you binge. Whereas anerexics tend to always be a low weight...

Does anybody understand what I am saying?

message 26: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments I do, completely. It makes no difference to how feel about the subject.

message 27: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Wait, so you're saying that having a mental illness is gross? I'm sorry, that's fucked up.

message 28: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments That is to me, like saying, 'well, those depressed people's cutting is gross, they brought it upon themselves'.

message 29: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments i think everything is fucked up/

message 30: by Lorna (last edited Aug 02, 2009 08:45PM) (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments The result of the mental illness is gross, yes.

Mental illness is a subject that I will upset people about. I grew up with a mentally ill mother who hated me because of her 'illness' and in my eyes, weakness - it has minimized my tolerance.

message 31: by AnnaLynne (new)

AnnaLynne | 405 comments Marley wrote: "Bullimia is slightly different then obesity, obesity is a result of being ignorant, as you put shit into your body without caring, bulimia is a mental illness.

And, as a side note, when you ha..."

I do J.

message 32: by AnnaLynne (new)

AnnaLynne | 405 comments Liz wrote: "i think everything is fucked up/"

Lol.

message 33: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Lorna wrote: "The result of the mental illness is gross, yes.

Mental illness is a subject that I will upset people about. I grew up with a mentally ill mother who hated me - it has minimized my tolerance."

So, you're judging a group of people who are endangering their own lives because of self-esteem problems, because of your bad childhood problems?

message 34: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments J? I'm not J, I is Marlz, lolz.

message 35: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments is true though

either you are fat or your not
either you are skinny or your not

message 36: by AnnaLynne (new)

AnnaLynne | 405 comments Lol. Oh, I thought it was J. My bad.

message 37: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Marley wrote: "So, you're judging a group of people who are endangering their own lives because of self-esteem problems, because of your bad childhood problems? "

Yes.

message 38: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments wow lorna

message 39: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments I'm not proud. I hate myself for my cold-heartedness. But I can't change how I feel.

message 40: by AnnaLynne (new)

AnnaLynne | 405 comments Lorna wrote: "I'm not proud. I hate myself for my cold-heartedness. But I can't change how I feel."

At least you own up to It.

message 41: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Fine, so when you see a repoted suicide, you think that person fucking deserved it? That's fucking sick.

message 42: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments this convo is turning sour

message 43: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments As usual.

message 44: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Marley wrote: "Fine, so when you see a repoted suicide, you think that person fucking deserved it? That's fucking sick."

I would never wish death on anyone. You're getting carried away marley.

message 45: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments yep always does

message 46: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Then be careful with you are what you're saying. Nobody deserves whatever effect is brought on by a mental illness, instead of people thinking they are "Gross" people need to support treatment in them.

message 47: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Be careful? When did I hint that I wish death on mentally ill people???

YOU be careful about your assumptions.

People need to support them, yes. I can't bring myself to do it.

message 48: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Can't bring yourself to help somebody better their life, I am not making assumptions, you are saying that you aren't willing to help a mentally ill person, meaning that if you knew someone depressed you would not help them if they threatened suicide, you wouldn't support them if they needed someboy to lean on? Are you seeing what you are writing?

message 49: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) =/

message 50: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments okay this is kinda gross...

but my 18 year old cousin (who is mentally challenged and isn't like 1st or 2nd cousin) had a 15 year old girlfriend and they had sex and stuff and he is in jail for life. i don't think this is the right way to go around doing things like that. he absolutely creeps me out and stuff but still...

« previous 1 3