Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Sociology Books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 115 comments Does anyone have any good recommendations for books about or related to Sociology? I am interested in all areas of this field, but mostly issues affecting our society, data analysis, statistics, and the study of life and human interaction.

I did a google search for most popular Sociology books, but I'm looking for more. Let me know if you have read any of these and would recommend them or if they are on your to-read list. I'm curious!!

message 2: by Tony (new)

Tony Parsons (gambino71) | 1564 comments criminology & sociology was my minor in undergrad give me a clue what U want

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan | 115 comments Anything, really, about Sociology. I'm most interested in Statistics, data collection and analysis, and human interaction. It's all interesting though. Ill take any recommendations.

message 4: by Tony (new)

Tony Parsons (gambino71) | 1564 comments stats huh my fav

I have a MS in rehab, drug/alcohol & SW

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice | 3 comments Perhaps these aren't strictly sociology but the Thomas L. Friedman books are great insights into our society, e.g., the Lexus and the Olive Tree. The Malcolm Gladwell books are also great, e.g., The Outliers, Tipping Point, etc.
Haven't read a statistics books since grad school, when I took a statistics course specifically designed for social scientists - recommend you look for that type.
Cheers, JZB

message 6: by Megan (last edited Jun 24, 2017 05:17PM) (new)

Megan | 115 comments J. Zarro wrote: "Perhaps these aren't strictly sociology but the Thomas L. Friedman books are great insights into our society, e.g., the Lexus and the Olive Tree. The Malcolm Gladwell books are also great, e.g., Th..."

Thanks for this information. All of these look interesting. I actually have several Malcolm Gladwell books on my to-read list. They all look very good.

Were you a Sociology major in grad school?

message 7: by Tony (new)

Tony Parsons (gambino71) | 1564 comments sorry I forgot U send me a email & I will send U a ton of stuff & if U want more let me know

tonyparsons_42@hotmail.com

message 8: by John (new)

John Leven I'm new to Goodreads, but I'm a junkie for non-fiction, and have read a ton of sociology and psychology books.

I have 62 read and rated books on my "thinking and behavior" shelf, which has a lot of sociology related books
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

My favorites are:
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Harari, Yuval Noah
The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil by Zimbardo, Phillip
War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning by Hedges, Chris
Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging by Junger, Sebastian

If you like the recommendations please consider joining the Goodreads group I just started. I just launched a podcast and am trying to build a little community on Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Thanks,
John