The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > CW's Black Lightning

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (last edited May 18, 2017 11:25AM) (new)

Trike | 8768 comments If it's as entertaining as the other shows, I'm up for it.

https://youtu.be/RZpJeuXo2CY

Apparently he's like Supergirl, living on a different Earth from the rest of them.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/18/cw-superh...

message 2: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2898 comments /yawn. Another "the city is ultra violent, only the superhero can save us" series. See Arrow, Daredevil et al, etc. This is the problem with these shows - it's all the same basic motif.

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments So what? Every show is the same thing, just insert whatever occupation moves the plot along. Cop/doc/spy/whatever. I for one am glad we're getting something other than the usual stuff. Superheroes are fucking awesome. Don't like it? Don't watch it.

message 4: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2898 comments Ah the fanboy response... 'don't like it, don't say anything'

Me, I'd like to see shows like this do something different than "Muh city is falling apart only I can save it!"

I for one am glad we're getting something other than the usual stuff.

That's my point. We're not. I wish we were.

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Rick wrote: "Ah the fanboy response... 'don't like it, don't say anything' "

I didn't say that. I said don't watch it, not don't bitch about it. What the actual fuck, man?

I mean, I'm the guy who hates everything, but at least I give it a chance. Maybe it'll suck the way Supergirl or Gotham does. I think those shows are crap. Guess what? I don't watch them.

But here's the thing you're missing: ALL SHOWS ARE IDENTICAL.

They are. Break them down to their constituent parts and they're the same. They just have a different cover on them. Doesn't matter if it's a superhero show or a western or a police procedural or a medical drama. Even Twin Peaks, for all its vaunted "weirdness" is exactly the same show as Gunsmoke or ER or Friends or Star Trek or South Park. The construction of each of those shows is exactly the same.

You just have to choose which style you like. I like my stories with superpowers or spaceships. Doesn't matter if you like chocolate or vanilla ice cream, it's still the same food.