Play Book Tag discussion

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
This topic is about Wild
Archive: Other Books > Wild: from lost to found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1470 comments In 1995 at the age of 27 Cheryl Strayed decided to hike a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail. She begins in the Mojave desert and finishes at the Oregon/Washington border having to bypass a large part of the trail due to heavy snow. Cheryl is still grieving the loss of her mother to cancer 4 years before and the recent break up of her marriage when she decides to make the trip. Cheryl was very unprepared to make this trip and especially in the early part of the book I got annoyed with her for making so many stupid hiking decisions. I found the whole chapter about her side trip to Ashland and her sex with a random stranger there to be completely unnecessary. The best parts of the book to me were her descriptions of the trail and the people she meets on it. I wish there was more of that and less of Cheryl whining and thinking about sex. This book was a choice for my work book club and if not for that I don't think I ever would have picked it out to read.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2814 comments You have confirmed my decision to never waste time reading this book. I would like a memoir concerned solely with hiking the trail.

I had breakfast yesterday at a tiny little restaurant near the school where I used to teach. I always knew that the PC Trail went through the town, but I'd never before seen soo many hikers! Of course, I probably wouldn't know being busy in the classroom, but I was eating with local residents and they think the hiker traffic has really increased in recent years. Maybe a result of the book and the movie. This is also the best season. The weather was/is perfect. Made me want to put my boots on and get out there.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Not a fan of this book, or the woman.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments I also found Cheryl super annoying. I felt like she assumed she was "better" or "superior" than everyone she met-despite the fact that she was completely unprepared for the trip, and really only made it through because of the help from others she got (and skipping the snowy part).

I do have a soft spot for ANY book that is majorly set in Oregon though- especially Ashland, where I spent 3 years living. Made those parts a lot more interesting to have a personal connection to the locale.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5801 comments I started out not expecting to like it, and wound up giving it 3 stars. I think the audio performance probably was a major factor in my enjoyment. The narrator gave Strayed a level of humanity that I'm not sure would have come across on the page.

LINK to my review