Cozy Mysteries discussion

Murder on the Orient Express
This topic is about Murder on the Orient Express
Off topic discussions > Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17459 comments Mod
It seems that another movie version of Murder on the Orient Express will be in theaters this fall. The latest remake features an all-star cast that includes the following:

Johnny Depp as Ratchett
Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot
Judi Dench as Princess Dragomiroff
Michelle Pfeiffer as Mrs. Hubbard
Penélope Cruz as Pilar Estravados
Willem Dafoe as Gerhard Hardman

I'm wondering what people think of the upcoming movie and cast. In particular, what do you think of Branagh (5' 9-1/2") playing Poirot, who is supposed to be a squat little Belgian (5' 4")?

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 56 comments Penélope Cruz as Pilar Estravados
Wasn't Pilar Estravados in a completely different Agatha Christie book?

My ideal version of the book would be the film starring Sean Connery, Lauren Bacall, et al, with David Suchet as Poirot.

David Suchet will always be the definitive Poirot for me, but I didn't like his version of MOTOE at all, I thought the supporting cast was very weak.

I didn't really like Albert Finney's Poirot, so I suppose Branagh must be better than that, and anything with Judi Dench in it must be worth a look.

LovesMysteries  | 12 comments Victoria wrote: "Penélope Cruz as Pilar Estravados
Wasn't Pilar Estravados in a completely different Agatha Christie book?"

She was. Pilar Estravados was in Hercule Poirot's Christmas, NOT Murder on the Orient Express!

message 4: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

LovesMysteries wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Penélope Cruz as Pilar Estravados
Wasn't Pilar Estravados in a completely different Agatha Christie book?"

She was. Pilar Estravados was in Hercule Poirot's Christmas, NOT Murder ..."

Tell director Kenneth Branagh that!

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 56 comments Pilar Estravados was in Hercule Poirot's Christmas...

Oh yes; I remembered the book, but not the title. Wonder how they'll fit her and her story into the Orient Express!

message 6: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book) | 54 comments I feel they're going to ruin it - they're already adding characters that weren't in the book! This alone should tell you that they're going to change things, and if Branagh will do that, he doesn't truly understand Christie; so I'll probably skip it.

message 7: by Karen M (last edited May 18, 2017 02:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen M | 1149 comments I just happened to recently watch the Albert Finney/1974 version of the movie and at 5'9" he kind of stooped over and almost looked hunchbacked so he would look shorter. So not Poirot and I can't see Branagh either, speaking as an Agatha Christie fan. I question Johnny Depp as Ratchett but he is a good actor so he might be fine. There was a French maid, perhaps they are making her Spanish?

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I'm a Branagh fan and am of the opinion that he can play almost anything. Orient Express is one of the few Christie books I've read.

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 56 comments I think with camera angles and so on they can make actors appear taller or shorter than they are. They did it with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, to a much greater extent.

But I don't see the need to add extra characters. All the business about who shared a compartment with who, and where everyone was, was so carefully worked out. Surely an extra person would throw it all out, if she's going to be on the train. And if she isn't on the train, what's the point?

message 10: by A.R. (new)

A.R. Simmons (arsimmons) | 16 comments This discussion illustrates the seriousness with which cozy mystery fans take their icons. I love the work of Branaugh, but I also question the wisdom of "improving" the story by adding characters. As to the suitability of actors for their roles, well, that's up to the actor's and director's craft, isn't it?

I only hope it ends up as Murder on the Orient Express rather than Murder of the Orient Express.

message 11: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

If anyone here has the Movies! network (a non-cable channel), the Albert Finney version is airing tonight.

message 12: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thought I would post this here, seeing as how we were recently discussing the movie and it seems to be a tie-in:

There is a current Goodreads giveaway for a copy of the book. You can enter the contest here.

message 13: by Beverly (last edited Nov 11, 2017 08:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2336 comments I didn't even hear about the new Orient Express until a couple of months ago. I have tickets for my husband and myself for tomorrow night (Sunday, 11/12/17). I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
I have seen the Albert Finney/Sean Connery version several times, the last time several years ago, and loved it. It was so lush, the acting was terrific, and, if I remember correctly, Poirot/Finney was mostly calm and collected while putting those little gray cells to work. (Except when he was lambasting everyone for lying to him).
A couple of nights ago, I saw the David Suchet/Barbara Hershey version, of which existence I did not know until recently. I thought that the mad rants of Poirot in this version were out of character, and they did not sit well with me. I did not have a problem with Poirot being a devout Catholic, but I did not like the angry rants. So overall, I liked the 1974 version better than the Suchet version. I also liked the way Poirot wrapped up the solution in 1974 (inside the train to the authorities) than the Suchet version (outside in the snow), where it was near impossible to hear what he was saying to the authorities.

message 14: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Danes | 22 comments I must admit that to me, David Suchet will always be Poirot. I can't imagine anyone else playing the role.

message 15: by Kellene (last edited Nov 26, 2017 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kellene | 167 comments So I took the plunge and went to see the 2017 version. If a person has never read any book with Hercule Poirot or for that matter anything by Agatha Christie, it is a good movie (so said the rest of my family, who enjoyed the movie). However, I was horrified. I'm thinking they are planning to market a Hercule Poirot action figure based on this movie. Can anyone imagine the literary character hanging from a railroad bridge or inspecting the train while walking on its roof in the snow? Branaugh was perfect for the role in the movie, but the character was so far from my beloved Belgian! The other characters were loosely based on the book for the most part, but names, nationalities, etc. were changed, rather dramatically for some. The plot... well, Ratchett was killed, Poirot solved it, and there were the same clues (handkerchief, pipe cleaners, etc.). Didn't change the murderer, so there was that. Otherwise, again, loosely based on the novel, with Poirot becoming an action figure (wonder if his shiny shoes had to be repolished).

If I stepped away from my knowledge of the book, the movie was an okay mystery adventure. But I just couldn't do it long enough to make myself enjoy the show. And I swear there's gonna be a sequel....

message 16: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna (twigmo) | 14 comments Kellene wrote: "So I took the plunge and went to see the 2017 version. ..."

Thanks for the heads up. I was afraid this might be the case. Why in the world did they feel they had to change so much? It's a wonderful, wonderful story just as it is. I had such hopes for this movie, but when I started hearing details and seeing photos (gah, that is NOT Poirot! as much as I love Branagh, it is NOT!), I started getting worried. Now I see I had just cause.

Such a pity.

message 17: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Danes | 22 comments I can't imagine Poirot doing any of that! He always looks immaculate and that never stops him from solving the mystery :-)

message 18: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Can anyone imagine the literary character hanging from a railroad bridge or inspecting the train while walking on its roof in the snow?

Um, no. Poirot would never do any of that. Knew there was a good reason I was avoiding the latest version of this movie. :-\

message 19: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3823 comments Mod
Kellene wrote: "So I took the plunge and went to see the 2017 version. If a person has never read any book with Hercule Poirot or for that matter anything by Agatha Christie, it is a good movie (so said the rest of m..."

Thank you for the info, now I know which film not to watch.

message 20: by Marianna (new)

Marianna Heusler (goodreadscommheusler) | 23 comments Thanks for all your comments. Was planning to watch it, but you changed my mind. Why can’t they leave well enough alone! There are plenty of current cozies that would make wonderful films.

message 21: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Danes | 22 comments Yes, you shouldn't fiddle with perfection!

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1 comments Just finished the book with another group. Still looking forward to seeing the movie - if not gone already.

message 23: by Beverly (last edited Jan 01, 2018 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2336 comments So, my husband and I saw the movie back in November, and while I liked the movie well enough, I kept comparing it to the 1974 Albert Finney version, and the comparison was more favorable to the older movie. The 1974 version, IMO, was more cerebral--thinking oriented--and I thought the current version was too action oriented. In addition, I just thought the acting, set designs, and costumes were better in the earlier version.

message 24: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Also, the mustache! So not right!!

☯Emily  Ginder | 56567 comments It was the mustache shown in the commercials that convinced me not to see the movie.

Doreen Petersen | 55 comments Honestly I much preferred the original movie.

message 27: by Joe (new)

Joe Cosentino | 107 comments I also preferred the original movie. The latest film didn't seem to have the cozy/fun/mysterious feel of the original.