Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

January/February 2009 > Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1167 comments I had seen this in Bookmarks and it sounded good. His "Last Night at the Lobster" sounds good too, but I decided to start with this one. This does grab you from the get-go. I'm enjoying it so far, although only about 100 pages in.

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb | 75 comments I liked this one. It didn't turn out like I expected it to and I like when that happens. I will be curious to see what you think when you are finished. I have Last Night at the Lobster on my TBR list, too.

message 3: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann | 55 comments I've read both Songs for the Missing and Last Night at the Lobster. I really liked the writing style of Lobster. The reader was only given that one day in the life of Manny, the manager. The whole book was rather bleak though. I followed Lobster with Songs for the Missing ; I thought it would be equally as bleak. While it certainly isn't the "feel good book of the summer", I was totally sucked into the story. I thought O'Nan's writing was better with Lobster but I liked Songs better - if that makes sense. I'd love to talk about it with both of you!

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1167 comments Cherylann wrote: "I've read both Songs for the Missing and Last Night at the Lobster. I really liked the writing style of Lobster. The reader was only given that one day in the life of Manny, the manager. The who..."

I'll let you know when I've finished!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I have both on my TBR and can't wait for the day I can get to them. I'm most interested in reading Songs For the Missing.

message 6: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann | 55 comments Songs for the Missing is a train wreck. You don't want to look, but you can't stop looking. The psychological aspect of how the event affected the family made this unputdownable. I love that O'Nan told this story primarily through the eyes of the younger sister.

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1167 comments Hmmm. Maybe this should be our next discussion book!

message 8: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann | 55 comments It's definitely a quick read, and I think it's in paperback ;) I picked up my copy on the bargain table.

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1167 comments Finished this the other day. To say I enjoyed it would be a bit weird, but I did like it. I think I felt more unresolved at the end than they did, but it wasn't about Kim, it was all about the others. I won't say any more for the others who haven't read it yet, but I'd love to discuss it with someone!

message 10: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann | 55 comments Betsy, I agree with you about both liking the book and the ending - there was a sense of incompleteness about the end. I found myself so completely absorbed with the plot and the characters that I kind of disturbed myself. I didn't want to be so consumed by the book because of the subject matter. I would be happy to discuss this with you.

message 11: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments I finished this one awhile back on audio, and I was a bit disappointed. I enjoyed it, but I found the pace to be kind of slow.

I would like to try another book by O'Nan - Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan looks good.