EPBOT Readers discussion

Book Challenges 2017 > Week 20 Check in

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 873 comments Mod
Hi Everyone! It's sunny and summery in Michigan, but don't believe it. It's a trap. It'll be rainy and cold next week.

I had a better reading week than the last couple. Finished 3:
Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype which is my book written by a person of color. (I moved Americana to book with the main character a different ethnicity than you). I had a hard time getting through this, I ended up skimming a lot just to make it end. the sad thing is, there's a lot of good advice for women, and people in general in it. But it's so wrapped up in psychobabble that it's hard to take seriously. For example: It's great advice to say that women get too wrapped up in being the perfect housekeeper, spouse, mother, etc and fail to make time to create art or do the things that make them passionate. I don't need that advice wrapped up in a narrative about my inner wild woman being smothered by the devil or something.

The Girl in the Steel Corset this was my steampunk novel. I liked it, it was easy fluff after that laborious effort. Plot was a little predictable, but I like it enough I'll probably continue the series eventually.

Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners this is our book club's next read, and I'm counting it for book with a subtitle. I really liked it, but I'll save more than that for when the book club discussion gets going.

Currently I'm reading Labor Day which will be my book about a non-Christmas holiday. I'm already annoyed at the writing style, because the author doesn't use quotes for dialogue, but the book's written in first person. It's hard to tell the difference between what the narrator is speaking to you, the reader, and what someone is saying to the narrator. Not entirely sure where the author was going with that "stylistic" choice.

How about everyone else? How's your reading going?

message 2: by Darla (last edited May 18, 2017 12:24PM) (new)

Darla (wiredsugarbear) | 9 comments I've had a really hectic last few weeks, so I haven't been getting checked in. :/ I won't go into all of the past few weeks...mostly because I don't remember which was the last one I commented on, but this week, I finished The Girl with All the Gifts. This was my "author who uses a pseudonym" book.

I also read Green Rider as a "book I've read before that makes me smile". I don't think I used that category yet...but I kinda don't remember. Whoops. Green Rider doesn't necessarily make me smile, but I really love it, so I'm counting it. ;)

I'm also going to use Unmentionable as my "subtitle" book, and I'm excited to read Firebrand for my book published in 2017.

message 3: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 873 comments Mod
Darla wrote: " I don't remember which was the last one I commented on, but this week, I finished The Girl with All the Gifts. This was my "author who uses a pseudonym" book."

I loved Girl with All the Gifts! Especially because I hadn't seen any trailers for the movie yet, so was totally thrown with the whole "what's up with these kids" thing.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 207 comments Mod
Week 20 already! Wow, that's crazy. Where is this year going?

I'm still in an incredibly hectic period, but I did set aside some time for reading a few mornings this week and also on my lunch break. At home, I'm reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as my book that makes me smile. It's light and fun and perfect for waking up to over morning tea and cat snuggles. :-) I'm about 1/3 through it an enjoying it as much as ever. And, not to go political, but there's some subtext in there about the nature of bureaucracy and politicians that still seems particularly on point almost 40 years after it was first published. I'm about 1/4 of the way through it now and about to incur some library fines since I forgot to renew it. I hope no one bulldozes down my house, heh.

In my desk drawer at work, I have Oryx and Crake and I'm reading it in stops and starts over lunch. I read this book when it was first published (2003) and, although I didn't remember much of it, I remembered that I really, really liked it. I won't say much more as we now have a Margaret Atwood thread going and I'll save it for that, but I will say that, given our chat about this book a few weeks ago, I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy it as much upon revisiting it--but I do! Sherri, when I'm done reading it, I'll post over there.

I've about given up on my book about food, which was Food is Culture. It was just too pedantic and esoteric (quite and accomplishment!) for me to tough it out. I'd rather find something I enjoy reading!

It's really nice to hear about what everyone is reading this week. As usually, I have a few more items on my TBR list thanks to this thread.

message 5: by Darla (new)

Darla (wiredsugarbear) | 9 comments Sheri wrote: I loved Girl with All the Gifts! Especially because I hadn't seen any trailers for the movie yet, so was totally thrown with the whole "what's up with these kids" thing.

Me too! I went in totally blind. I'm glad I did - I really think it completely made the book.

I've been trying to do that more often lately...go in without prior knowledge (or at least limited knowledge) about the book. I feel like the summaries have gotten too spoilery lately.

message 6: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 873 comments Mod
Me too!

I always get annoyed when a book blurb posts a major event. unless it's happening in the first 5 pages, don't tell me!

Usually I skim just enough of a blurb to see if it sounds at all interesting.