Art Lovers discussion

Fame and Fave Females > Frida Khalo

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8385 comments My traveling, well read, and very cultured aunt lives in Los Angeles, California and told me about a Frida Khalo exhibit of her photos that she is looking forward to attending at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California.This got me excited thinking about Khalo and her works so I thought I would open up a discussion solely attributed to her.

"Frida Kahlo - Her Photos offers an intimate glance into the life of one of the world’s most beloved artists. Throughout her life, Kahlo meticulously collected over 6,000 photographs of loved ones as well as scenes of Mexican culture, politics, art, history and nature.
Frida Kahlo - Her Photos presents 241 of these photographs, all of which are the first and only prints made of the originals. Visitors to the exhibition will discover some of the brightest and darkest times in the artist’s life while also experiencing a unique view of the tumultuous political and technological climate of the early to mid 20th Century."

https://www.bowers.org/index.php/exhi...

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8385 comments I found this site dedicated to her paintings. It shows a short biography film of the world-renowned artist and discusses her life and works.

Short synopsis
Artist Frida Kahlo was born on July 6, 1907, in Coyocoán, Mexico City, Mexico. Considered one of Mexico's greatest artists, Frida Kahlo began painting after she was severely injured in a bus accident. Kahlo later became politically active and married fellow communist artist Diego Rivera in 1929. She exhibited her paintings in Paris and Mexico before her death in 1954.

http://www.biography.com/people/frida...#!

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8385 comments Frida Khalo and Her Paintings

"I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best."

"My painting carries with it the message of pain."
Frida Khalo

Surreal or Realist?
"Frida Kahlo participated in the "International Exhibition of Surrealism" in 1940 at the Galeria de Arte, Mexicano. There, she exhibited her two largest paintings: The Two Fridas and The Wounded Table (1940). Surrealist Andrew Breton considered Kahlo a surrealistic, a label Kahlo rejected, saying she just painted her reality. However, In 1945, when Don Jose Domingo Lavin asked Frida Kahlo to read the book Moses and Monotheism by Sigmund Freud - whose psychoanalysis works Surrealism is based on - and paint her understanding and interpretation of this book. Frida Kahlo painted Moses, and this painting was recognized as second prize at the annual art exhibition in the Palacio de Bellas Artes.

The Two Fridas

The Wound Table

Moses

More... http://www.fridakahlo.org/

message 4: by Eze (new)

Eze Micheal Vincent | 5 comments Wow, What a creative Arts Work

message 5: by Eze (new)

Eze Micheal Vincent | 5 comments Can i share on Facebook????

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (last edited May 18, 2017 06:32AM) (new)

Heather | 8385 comments Eze wrote: "Can i share on Facebook????"

sure!

message 7: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1905 comments I loved Kahlo's work even before she became a household word. While in Mexico City once we tried to tour her house, but when we got there it was closed.

My daughter and I plan to go to the Bowers Museum exhibit. It's only about 20 miles from where we live. The photos should be interesting. She led a fascinating life. Have you read Frida: A Biography of Frida Kahlo. It's excellent.

She

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1905 comments Alas, I can read little in French but a menu.