Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 Weekly checkins > Week 20: 5/12 – 5/18

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Happy Thursday all! The school year is winding down for kids here in my area, and it’s making me yearn for a lazy summer with no agenda. What do you mean I have to work? Where’s my summer vacation?

Just a reminder than nominations are open for July’s group read – a book set in two different time periods. I read quite a few books that fit that description every year so I’m interested to see what the group picks! The thread will stay open until Monday. You can go here to add your choice: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

On to the week’s reading updates…

Books I finished:
Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff – book that takes place over a character’s life span. I enjoyed debunking some of the myths surrounding Cleopatra. Biographies are generally a bit challenging for me to read, but I found this one to be well written and not overly long (I’m looking at you Ron Chernow).
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff – a book of letters. I didn’t love this as much as most people I know. It was cute, but sometimes I just skimmed because I had no idea what they were talking about. The final letter seemed an odd place to end also. I may still go back and read my original choice for this category (My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams).

Currently reading:
The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart for the book that’s been on my TBR the longest. I’m still working my way through it. It’s a good read, but progress seems slow.
A Daughter's Courage by Renita D’Silva – a NetGalley acquisition which I’m trying to read and review before it comes out at the end of the month.
The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny – Need to get back on track listening to this one. It would be easier if it was on my phone instead of a CD set.

24/40 & 7/12

Question of the week:

This week’s question is inspired by the release of Modern Mrs. Darcy’s annual summer reading guide this week (go here to check it out: http://modernmrsdarcy.com/summer-read... ).

What kind of books do you choose to take with you on vacation? Do you like page-turning thrillers or light, fun chick-lit? Family dramas or “who done it” mysteries? Does it depend on your destination?

I don’t put a lot of thought into my choices, usually whatever I have around that I’ve been meaning to read, but I do try to pick books that are quick, engaging reads I can easily finish in a day or two. Last summer for a beach trip I took The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line and Mr. Kiss and Tell (being a fan of the show Veronica Mars these were a fun revisit to Neptune). Jenny Colgan’s books or maybe a not-too-emotionally-gut-wrenching YA (i.e. Love & Gelato) would also be good vacation reads for me.

message 2: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 250 comments olá, from sunny, but windy Algarve-Portugal, last week I finishedO Senhor Ventura,life span character, name on title, with a lot of voyages, by train, ship and walk, the portuguese author is a pseudonym also,I loved it and waited for to long for my reading.I'm in progress withA Casa da Rússia, for thriller spionage book,and set in wartime(cold war).

message 3: by Tracy (last edited May 18, 2017 04:10AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 604 comments good morning,

My reading is starting to pick up along with the weather. It was in the 90s here yesterday and will be again today. Unfortunately it looks like back down to the 60s over the weekend. It seems like summer will NEVER get here.

I finished 2 books over the weekend:
Brown Girl Dreaming and The Dry, I'm pretty sure I found prompts to place both of them in,but off-hand I can't remember.

I just started The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, which is over 450 pages, but I flew through the first 100, so I should be done by the weekend..

Still working on a few: White Fang, Misty of Chincoteague, 11/22/63, Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype,Pit Bull: The Battle over an American Icon and the audio version of Lincoln in the Bardo All of those are in various stages of completion. The first two I am reading aloud to my daughters, and Misty, in particular, is really opening up a lot of dialogue with my 7 year old, which I love. We had a great late night discussion about why the stallion is called "The Pied Piper" and she was able to relate back to me the story of the Pied Piper and the rats, and make the connection with him being the leader of the horse pack, and also talked about his coloring and what that means. I love that she thinks about what she is hearing :-)

I also plan on finishing up the audio of The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life, which is definitely lifting my mood, lol.

QOTW: Hmmmmm....Summer reads, lately its anything, but my go to for the beach or a vacation is definitely a good thriller.I'm thinking some I plan on reading this summer are The Woman in Cabin 10, Behind Closed Doors,
The Couple Next Door ......and then there are all of these challenge books.....

message 4: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5931 comments Mod
Good morning!!! Here in central NY we went from cold and rainy to HOT, it was in the 90s yesterday and looks like it will be again today. I'm pretty sure that's a new record high temperature for this date.

This week I finished three books, two of them for the Challenge, and ALL of them were FIVE STAR reads!! That's never happened to me! I am now 43/52.

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. This would work for "first in a series" or "published in 2017" - recommended to people who enjoy "modern fairy tales" like Stardust or Taylor's other series, Daughter of Smoke & Bone.

How the García Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez. I finally checked off the "book about an immigrant or refugee" category!

News of the World by Paulette Jiles, for "best seller from a genre I don't usually read (Western)."

I really loved all three of these books - if they look interesting to you, or if you've been thinking about reading them, definitely read them! Each one took me by surprise with how great it was.

QOTW Because I'm a little bit obsessed with making lists, I have a "summer to read" bookshelf, and I start adding books to it now in the run-up to summer. Luckily for me, my parents got a small house at the NJ shore when my first daughter was born, so every summer we drive down and spend several weeks at the shore. It's very relaxing. And I have lots of reading time! So I bring a little bit of everything: some romances, some science fiction, some thrillers, some detective mysteries, some "literary" fiction, and at least one non-fiction science book. There is a "certain something" about a book that makes it look like a good beach read for me, but I'm hard-pressed to say what that is, since I'm sort of all over the place in my choices. I usually make sure to bring a "Celtic fantasy romance" type book (like the books Juliet Marillier and Jules Watsonwrite), and one of the "Bad Day" books from Sophie Littlefield, and a detective mystery from a series I've been reading. Last year my daughter and I both read Warm Bodies, and that was fun, so this year I'm making it a point to include several YA books that we both might like; tops on that list are Dangerous Girls and On the Jellicoe Road. Right now I've got almost 50 books on that shelf, but I'll narrow it down to about 30, then I'll put all the books on hold at the library, and whatever comes in on time, I bring. I don't read them all, but I like having choices, and since I'm basically driving to my parents' house, it's no big deal to lug a big shopping bag full of books.

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Finally some progress to report! Over the last two weeks I finished three books.

I finished Atonement for the novel set during wartime prompt. Even though I knew the basic plot I quite enjoyed this and I liked McEwan's cinematic prose style. Next up up I need to watch the film!

I also read The Introvert's Way: Living a Quiet Life in a Noisy World and Introverts in Love: The Quiet Way to Happily Ever After for fun.

QOTW- Unfortunately I am not that organized when it comes to vacation reads! I tend to throw in whatever I'm reading currently and whatever else is available that I'm generally interested in.

message 6: by Chandie (new)

Chandie (chandies) | 254 comments I finally got some reading completed. The last month of school is so busy, but today is the last day so summer reading, here I come.

I finished
Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I really enjoyed it. I watched the Swedish version of the movie many, many moons ago. I remember really liking the two kid actors but I don't remember the movie being super gory more atmospherically creepy. The book was a lot gorier. I haven't seen the American version of the movie.

and

The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood. It's a YA book about a girl who has lost her grandfather and there are wormholes and time travel involved. I did not like this book. Science isn't my wheelhouse and the science in the book just seemed to be dropped there. And I really didn't connect with the main character so I really didn't care what happened to her. I only finished because it was a shorter book than I've been reading. But YMMV. I used it for the season prompt. It also had a handful of pictures throughout so maybe it could be used for the book with pictures prompt.

Currently reading: Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris.

QOTW: Whatever two books are on top of my TBR pile are the two books that come on vacation with me.

message 7: by Christine (last edited May 18, 2017 05:58AM) (new)

Christine McCann | 482 comments Hi everyone! I've missed two check-ins, so I guess I've been busy. At least I have two finished books to report:
The Undomestic Goddess was pretty fun. Not my usual thing, but fluffy and amusing.
The Halloween Tree - why did I read this right as summer is kicking off? I guess I just wanted a well-read, not-too-complex audiobook. This delivered, and I highly recommend Bronson Pinchot's reading. The plot seems pretty thin and kid-oriented, but the language is suffused with Bradbury's poetic style, and the theme of how humans deal with the knowledge of death is fairly weighty. Definitely a good book for tween years when they start understanding the world more, but still have a child's point of view. I'm going to see if my kids will go for a Halloween read-aloud with me this fall!

I also finally settled on Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos for a book with multiple authors. I'm currently slogging through the Derleth stories, but I got so excited to re-read Stephen King's "Jerusalem's Lot" that I skipped ahead and did that early. It was just as good as I remembered. This also has a nice selection of authors from contemporaries/friends of Lovecraft all the way to modern authors, which is a nice way to sample the impact Lovecraft has had on weird/horror fiction.

Finally, my husband and I started the audiobook for We Are Legion (We Are Bob) during a road trip. I'm so eager to go on some more long drives, because I want to know what happens next!

QOTW: I just want something that's going to pull me into the story. Anything that might feel like a bit of a chore is not for my vacation! Theme, setting, and tone don't matter at all to me. One of my favorite reading experiences was sitting on a quiet deck of a Disney cruise ship, reading Interlands, a Lovecraftian tale set in autumn New England!

message 8: by Brooke (last edited May 18, 2017 11:22AM) (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Hello and happy Thursday! This has been a really long week. It feels like last check-in was ages ago! We lost a team member at work, so I’m extra busy indefinitely. As a result, my reading time has gone way down...and probably be lower this summer than usual simply because of working longer hours & traveling more. Boo! Anyway, at least it is spring and warm outside.

I got through 3 books this week. I think that puts me at 22/40; 7/12 or 29/52 overall.
For PopSugar:
The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty for a book by an author from a country you’ve never visited (26). Moriarty is from Australia and set this novel in Sydney. This one was great! My intro to Moriarty was The Husband’s Secret, and I loved it so much I bought all of her previously written novels as soon as I finished it. This story examines relationships and breakups and how different people deal with both. The author has a gift that enables her to write different characters with vastly different viewpoints, but she makes them all relatable in some way. I recommend this if you have liked any of Moriarty’s other novels.

The Circle by Dave Eggers for a book that’s becoming a movie in 2017 (37). This was an okay read, but I think it would’ve been better if it was 75-100 pages shorter. The constant stating of Mae’s social ranking, viewers, etc was annoying.

For another challenge:
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two by John Tiffany. This is a play based on a J.K. Rowling story. This was for a specific challenge prompt to “read a play,” or I doubt I ever would have read it. I am a fan of the Potter universe, but since my TBR list is so long, I would have just waited to see this one on stage. It was a cute and heartwarming addition to the series.

I am currently reading:
AWOL on the Appalachian TrailTrail by David Miller
Summer Sisters by Judy Blume
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
Salt to the Sea by Ruth Sepetys

QOTW: I generally read a diverse selection of books, but my vacation reads tend to be either beachy lighthearted books or psychological thrillers. I have a vacation planned at the end of July that will involve a lot of beach/relaxing time, but what I take to read will depend on what I read in the next 2 months.

message 9: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) | 164 comments Book news: Nothing completed, nothing new started (thank god) but I'm getting close on a Harry Potter parody I found randomly on Amazon. It's pretty dumb, but it's also satisfying my need for the HP series, at least temporarily so that's nice at least. I've also made significant progress on Kushiel's Dart, which is 901 pages and not long enough for all that's happened, lol.

Life news: NYC is *HOT* today, at least by NYC-in-mid-May standards. As a result, my apartment is *HOTHOTHOT* and it's awful. But I have a job interview in about 6 hours!! I really want to nail this interview so I can finally be employed.

QOTW: I like to take whatever grabs my attention. I usually download a ton of books on my Kindle and then choose just one paperback to bring, as well. If it's more than just a weekend trip, I tend to select longer books. If it's a weekend trip, I'll grab something shorter or my current read if I'm less than halfway through, assuming I don't just opt to stick to my kindle.

message 10: by Sheri (last edited May 18, 2017 06:11AM) (new)

Sheri | 741 comments Hi everyone from sunny "Pretending it's summer until next week when it's suddenly cold and rainy again" Michigan!

I miss summer vacation, but at least once memorial day hits I'm back on summer hours. I get to work an extra half hour during Monday-Thursday, then I'm done at 1:30 on Fridays. It's nice! I kind of wish I got to that all year. I like having a bit of extra time on Fridays.

So I'm pleased to have had a better reading week than the last couple.

Completed:Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype I'm counting this as my book by a person of color (moving Americana over to a book where the main character is a different ethnicity than you). I also read it because it's the previous book for Emma Watson's feminist book club. This one was my frustrating one to get through. I plowed through as fast as I could and it still took forever (for me). The language was so flowery and full of psychobabble, it was hard to really take seriously. Yet, there was a lot of good messages in there, for women and for people in general.

The Girl in the Steel Corset My steampunk novel. I needed a break after that other one, and this was a nice brisk read. A little predictable, but I liked it enough I'll probably continue the series.

Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners I am counting this as my book with a subtitle. this one is the current book for another book club I'm in. I loved it! It was full of information, but presented very humorously. I could probably have done without the constant pet names from the author, but all in all i tore through it in less than twenty four hours, chuckling the whole time. (also a good book for any ladies who seriously think they missed their calling in life by not being born in the Victorian era).

Currently reading: Labor Day This will be my book set around a holiday other than Christmas. I'm already frustrated at the writing style, but it's short so I'll probably plow through it anyhow. What author just decides not to use quotes? For dialogue? I've already had to re-read sentences due to this. The book is written in first person from the kid's perspective. so if he sits down, he says "I sat down". but then he was talking to a guy who was bleeding, and the guy says "I fell out a window". But there were no quotes. so I thought the kid randomly fell out a window while talking to a guy in the middle of a store. And had to re-read it three times before I realized that's what the guy SAID.

Edited to add: I also realized that The Blind Assassin that I thought didn't fit a prompt worked for a book that takes place over a character's whole lifespan. The book started when the narrator was about 3, so I figure that's pretty close.

this puts me at: 42/50 (I have a feeling I'm going to come to a shuddering halt after next week, though. Several of the last couple books I need to finish are on ridiculously long holds at the library. We'll have to see if I decide to be patient and wait, or find other books that I don't have to wait for so I can just put a stamp on the challenge and say I'm done)

QOTW: I don't really read by the season or anything. Since I don't have summer vacations, I don't really have summer reading lists. I just read whatever I want to read. Also I read voraciously, in general, so it's not like I need a list to give me motivation.

As far as vacation reading goes, I tend to use plane rides to catch up on my comics. I find them easier to read on a plane than regular books. Less dialogue and more studying art, so easier to follow in a noisy environment. Also I read on my ipad, so I fit a lot on there. Otherwise I just load my kindle up with stuff I've been planning on reading already.

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Caity wrote: "Life news: NYC is *HOT* today, at least by NYC-in-mid-May standards. As a result, my apartment is *HOTHOTHOT* and it's awful. But I have a job interview in about 6 hours!! I really want to nail this interview so I can finally be employed...."

Good luck! I hope all goes well with the interview!

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Sheri wrote: "What author just decides not to use quotes? For dialogue? I've already had to re-read sentences due to this..."

I've heard several people complain about the no quotation mark thing this year. Is this what all the "cool kids (writers)" are doing now? Quotation marks serve a purpose! I'm all for artistic expression as a writer, but seriously we need the quotation marks! :)

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Brooke wrote: "I am currently reading:
AWOL on the Appalachian TrailTrail by David Miller..."

I'm curious to see what you think of that. A friend of mine has been telling me I should read it (I live along the AT), but he is also far more interested in long-haul hiking than I am :)

message 14: by Brooke (last edited May 18, 2017 06:48AM) (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Sara wrote: "Brooke wrote: "I am currently reading:
AWOL on the Appalachian TrailTrail by David Miller..."

I'm curious to see what you think of that. A friend of mine has been telling me I should read it (I li..."

I like it so far! I've seen the movie based on Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, so I wanted to read something different for the "book set in the wilderness" prompt. It really helps the reader understand the mindset of this hiker and how strenuous the hike is. He also talks about the different kind of hikers and the community that is formed along the trail, as well as the people who intentionally live along the trail to assist the hikers each year.

And I'm not especially interested in long-haul hiking. I enjoy a good 5-8 mile hike in the summer, but I have no intention of a longer hike. (I also hate camping.)

message 15: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (ninmin30) | 49 comments I finished three books this week. Two on the same day!

First I finished The Circle by Dave Eggers. I really enjoyed this book. I am looking forward to seeing the movie! I think it will translate really well onto the screen and I know Emma Watson will do a great job. I am using this book for the "movie in 2017" prompt.

Second, I finished Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. This book was just okay. I am interested in seeing the movie, however, I will probably wait until it is out of theaters. I'm just not that interested in reliving the story right now. This book will either be the "written by POC" or "character different ethnicity" prompt.

Lastly, I finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. I really enjoyed this book. Before this challenge I had never read any of Roald Dahl *insert shocked face here*. I am loving reading his books because I know the stories so well from the movies. I am using this book to fill the "eccentric character" prompt from the advanced list.

QOTW: I don't really have specific qualifications for books I bring with me on vacations. I usually do bring two book with me though - whatever I am in the middle of and one of the Outlander books. I am currently making my way through that series (currently on A Breath of Snow and Ashes) but tend to only read part of the books when I am in between shorter books. I love bringing them on trips with me because they are so long, I know I won't finish them and run out of things to read!

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Kiefer | 118 comments Hello from Cleveland. We're supposed to tie the record high today, so I'm very glad I'm still taking a break from running. Normally this type of weather hits exactly when I start again.

I got a huge book hangover from The Name of the Rose for the Around the Year challenge (ugh, it was SO awful), so I only managed to finish one Popsugar book this week.

I read Tampa for a book about a difficult topic. The story is essentially Lolita with the genders reversed, based on a real life case in Florida. (The author also teaches at a local university, which I thought was neat!) It is definitely extremely graphic, but it really made me think a lot about gender roles and expectations, and I don't think you would get the full effect without the graphic parts.

The book has pretty low reviews because of the topic, and I feel awful for the author because she executed the book so well. I found Humbert Humbert extremely annoying, but while I knew Celeste was an awful person, I connected with parts of her personality and laughed out loud several times. I'm glad I decided to read it as a "companion" of sorts to Lolita.

QOTW: I try to limit the number of books I take on a trip (I'm always worried I'll run out, so I way overpack), so I generally choose larger ones. If I'll be on a long flight, I do my best to choose something on a really interesting topic or some fast-paced fiction. And maybe it's weird, but I avoid anything sad so I don't tear up in front of others. (Last year, I took a break from Les Misérables because I didn't want to cry on the plane!)

message 17: by Jacque T (new)

Jacque T | 54 comments No finishes this week, but still working my way through
The Joy of x: A Guided Tour of Math, from One to Infinity
Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith and Love
and The Birth of the Modern: World Society 1815-1830
plus this week added
The Grapes of Wrath I'm reading this with my high school Freshman for school. It is so much better as an adult!

QOTW: I mainly use my kindle app for vacation reading. On my kindle I keep memoirs that intrigue me and Newbery candidates (my daughters and I share kindle books and try to read as many potential Newbery winners as possible to make our own predictions). My Easter vacation I read 2 memoirs and 3 Newbery contenders from last year that I had not gotten to before the award ceremony.

message 18: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Hello, everyone!

I completed only one book this week:
Anything Is Possible by Elizabeth Strout. It's a fantastic book -- time flew by while I was reading it. Surprisingly, I'm using it for prompt 12, a bestseller from a genre you don't normally read. I don't gravitate towards short stories, which this book is. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

I have a few more books in various stages of completion:
All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation - almost finished.
The Bonobo and the Atheist: In Search of Humanism Among the Primates
Shady Characters: The Secret Life of Punctuation, Symbols & Other Typographical Marks

QoTW: I generally like something with an engrossing plot for vacation reading, often a good mystery.

message 19: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 294 comments Hello from Columbus! We're quickly approaching the end of the school year and I couldn't be more excited.

This week I finished The Amber Spyglass. I re-read the first two books as prompts in the challenge, but couldn't find a decent place to stick this one so I guess I'll tack it on with The Subtle Knife in the steampunk category. I'm realizing I must not have actually finished the book when I first read the series because I most definitely did not remember a lot of those details. I already knew the gist of the ending so I guess I didn't notice when I put the book down and never picked it up again. I love the series so much still, I can't wait until The Book of Dust comes out.

For my book set in the wilderness, I went with The Hobbit. It's another book I vaguely remember reading as a kid, I got some major nostalgia re-reading it.

So that brings me to 25/40; 3/12 (though for the main challenge I feel the need to mention that I've read 32 books for those 25 prompts).

QOTW: I don't really plan out my summer reading, nor have I. Even on vacation in a while. When I do take trips I generally pick something light and fun.

message 20: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Good morning everyone! I've been absent the last few check-ins, but I've finally got some progress to report.

I finished The Scarlett Letters: My Secret Year of Men in an L.A. Dungeon, a memoir about a dominatrix in LA for my book about an interesting woman. I happened upon this at the library and was really glad I picked this up. I was originally going to read another book for this prompt, but this one seemed to fit better.

I thought it was an interesting read. However, it's one of those books that I wish GR had half star ratings. I would have knocked off a half point for the author's sometimes judgy tone (even though she preaches throughout to not be judgy).

12/40, 0/12

QOTW: I don't usually put much thought into the books I bring on vacation. Usually whatever I'm into at the moment - and something easy to carry around or something on my kindle. I would probably steer away from anything overly emotional, sad, or gut-wrenching.

message 21: by Nicole (last edited May 25, 2017 07:43AM) (new)

Nicole Sterling | 153 comments Week 20 - 25/40 & 7/12 (32/52), currently reading three

Oh, I finally feel like I'm making progress again! It has been a slow few weeks, but I feel like I'm picking up the pace. I finished two books this week, have started one book this week, and am still working on two that I was reading last week, one that's going pretty quickly, and one that I've been nursing along for quite a while now.

I finished reading In The Neighborhood: The Search for Community on an American Street, One Sleepover at a Time by Peter Lovenheim (prompt #15, a book with a subtitle). It was pretty interesting, and makes you take a good look at your neighborhood & the relationships (or lack of relationships) between you & your neighbors.

I also finished listening to The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan for prompt #12 on the advanced list, a book based on mythology. I don't know what it is about the author or the topic or whatever, but I am really glad that one's over with. It wasn't a terrible book or anything, I just couldn't get into it.

I started listening to Fidelity by Thomas Perry for prompt #1 on the advanced list, a book recommended by an author you love (recommended by James Patterson). I'm well over halfway through it, and it's pretty good.

I am still reading Lending a Paw by Laurie Cass for prompt # 10, a book with a cat on the cover. I am also still "reading" A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles for prompt #35, a book set in a hotel. I put the word reading in quotes, because I don't think I picked it up in the last week or two. I'm working on it, and I think it will be good, but I keep wanting to spend my reading time on other books.

I should finish Lending a Paw and Fidelity by this weekend, so maybe I'll make myself read A Gentleman in Moscow before I start anything new. Or maybe I won't... We'll see how it goes.

QOTW: I don't often take books on vacation. It's hard for me to read in a car because I get a headache, and the same often happens on a plane. We usually have things planned to do for most of our vacation time, and I'm so tired when we get back to the hotel or rental that I can't keep my eyes open to read. When I do take a book, I usually take something light, like a so-called "beach read" or a cozy mystery, so that if I don't get to read much at a time, it's not like there's a major plot that I'm trying to keep track of and things like that.

message 22: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments Hello from Colorado, where it is snowing. Why not? So far we haven't gotten much that sticks since it's very wet snow but the predictions are sufficient than my husband's boss told everyone to just work from home today.

I read a decent amount this week. I finished Fifteen Dogs for my book from a non-human perspective and it was good but bleak. Really, really bleak. Do I read Mort next to cheer me up (I'm slowly working my way through Discworld) and amusingly it would also qualify as book from a non-human perspective but I used it as my fantasy novel for the Book Riot challenge. It's my favourite of the series so far, but I'm under the impression that they just keep getting better. I also listened to Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? as my book from an author of a different ethnicity - this was one of those categories I knew I could fill ten times over, so this is just he first book that didn't fit anywhere else, but I'm neither American or of Indian background, so it worked. In the female comedian audiobook genre, this has been my favourite so far.

Right now I'm reading Mindset: The New Psychology of Success and Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto and don't have any idea if they will slot into any prompts yet. They are just the next two library books due. I also have two Gogol short stories still to get through but they aren't inspiring me to pick them up just now.

QOTW: My last vacation was several years ago, basically. I used to spend a lot of time backpacking around (mostly SE Asia) before I had kids. That last trip was fairly epic - I took an entire year off, in sE Asia for six months, two months in Korea but not working and four months back in Canada between Thanksgiving and Christmas and then waiting for the Korean school year to start in March to go back to work. I owned a kindle. I filled it with books. Then I also hauled 10-20 books along with me and several unread magazines because I'm a weirdo. I start trips out with a good variety of books - some that I suspect will be a plodding read, some short, some long, some light and some serious. Once they run out I read whatever I come across left behind in guesthouses and hostels and that's how I've read most of Dan Brown's work even though I don't at all like his writing! I have no idea why I didn't fully embrace kindle - it's clearly for people exactly like me!

Now with the kids and the being broke, we don't really go on trips and there's no vacation from being a SAHM. The closest we come is that my parents (retired) visit for about a month, sometimes with some of my siblings. That leads to much less reading for me, since we are off being touristy or entertaining them and so I don't have much downtime.

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments This was a good week!

Finished: Emma. What a slough. I didn't look too much at reviews before picking this up but I've read a couple other books from the Austen Project with varying results (Eligible: A Modern Retelling of Pride and Prejudice - yay! and Sense & Sensibility - huh?). The low rating was accurate. This is an author who profoundly either misunderstands or loathes Emma, a relatively difficult but not impossible character to love. Good riddance (but a book with a character's name in the title!)
Also read At Bertram's Hotel for my book that takes place in a hotel (based on a recommendation from this group - thanks!!). It was SOMEHOW my first Agatha Christie and now I just want to tear through the catalog. Any recommendations for your favorites would be appreciated.
Finally, knocked out The Nanny Arrangement, a quick romance (ARC from Netgalley) which had some problems and I will not be quick to run for another book by this author.

Currently reading: Small Admissions for my book club. It's enjoyable and different, good discussion fodder.
Anne of Green Gables audiobook (read by Rachel McAdams!) for my audiobook check mark.
The Trouble with Dukes, my obligatory romance on the Kindle app I can pull up when I need to kill time but don't have room for a book in my purse.

QOTW: I tend to save the traditional beach reads for beach reads. I did pull quite a few from the Modern Mrs. Darcy list and earmarked them for vacations and such, the fluffier the better.

message 24: by Allison (last edited May 18, 2017 09:50AM) (new)

Allison | 116 comments Sheri wrote: "Currently reading: Labor Day This will be my book set around a holiday other than Christmas. I'm already frustrated at the writing style, but it's short so I'll probably plow through it anyhow. What author just decides not to use quotes? For dialogue?"

Oh, no! I currently have Labor Day slotted into that category, but that seems really annoying. That's been the hardest prompt for me to find something I'm interested in reading. I've already started and given up on Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.

I'm hanging out in snowy Colorado as well. Ready to be done with this weather, but if we actually get a lot more accumulation and end up with a snow day tomorrow - in mid-May - that would be pretty cool!

This week I completed The Chemist which is definitely an "espionage thriller" but, in my opinion, not a very good book. There were a few really good scenes, but overall the entire thing fell flat for me. This was the third time I checked it out from the library, I'm not sure why I kept thinking it would get better. Total challenge 37/52 read.

QOTW: I don't get Summer Vacation, but for trips I tend to just make sure my Kindle is loaded with several books I'm interested in reading and bring along whatever I'm currently in the middle of. I like to have something light or fast-paced that doesn't require too much concentration for airplane flights, and I also avoid things that might make me cry on a plane! For road trips we listen to family-friendly audiobooks that we can all enjoy, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Hoot, the Narnia books, Hank the Cowdog, whatever is available on Overdrive or CD's from the library.

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments This morning got away from me as there is work drama and its making my head spin! haha

Finished three books this week and started one

Finished UnDivided - won't be able to use this for the challenge but it wrapped up the Unwind series for me. A solid ending to the series.

Finished The Hating Game - I didn't think I was going to be able to use this for the challenge but then I realized the author was from a country I never visited. So I did my first shuffle of the year and switched The Undomestic Goddess to author with a pseudonym and put this in its place.

That brings me to 17/40.

Finished the audio book for Carry On - using this for mentioned in another book in the advanced section. I had a LOT of problems with this book. Safe to say I hated it (don't mean to offend anyone who loves this book - as I know I'm in the minority). This book is mentioned in Fangirl a book I actually liked. Brings me to 1/12 in the advanced section.

Last night I started our group read of The Book Thief. From what I read (only 10%) I like it so far. And it's been on my to-read list for a long time.

QOTW This question comes at a perfect time for me since my honeymoon is in 9 days! I am packing my kindle with a new to me series and I hope to knock out all three books while cruising!

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Megan wrote: "This question comes at a perfect time for me since my honeymoon is in 9 days! I am packing my kindle with a new to me series and I hope to knock out all three books while cruising! "

Woohoo! Nine days! :) An early congratulations and I hope you have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon :)

Also - what series are you bringing to read??

message 27: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 418 comments Bonjour from hot Montréal,

Today is in the 90 and last week we had snow. Go figure.

Nothing to report for me this week. I didn't even read a page during the whole weekend. It was my son's birthday, mother's day, end of the college session at my job.

Now I started Eragon for a book with a mythological creature. I'm not so sure about that one. I find it childish by moment.

QOTW: I don't have specific summer reads, but I tend to read bigger books during summer since it's slower at my job.

message 28: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Happy Thursday! I'm a bit later commenting than usual because we just finished a beautiful morning/early afternoon at the beach.

I finished 2 this week; the silkworm and Harry Potter and the cursed child (espionage thriller a bit of a stretch but whatever and bestsellers from genre you don't normally read)

I'm working on the twilight children by Torey Hayden and reading along with a weekly podcast about Harry Potter and the prisoner of azkaban. Also got my beloved world by Sonia sotermayer for my book club.

for my kids challenge I ordered from the library a few for author of colour and main character of a different ethnicity.

QOTW: I don't specifically plan but I tend to gravitate toward fluffier books or thrillers I will breeze through.

message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Hi all,

Looks sunny in Vancouver today!

I am at 25/40 so far.

Still reading Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race, for the book that's becoming a movie in 2017. It is heavy on math and engineering, so I've found the reading a bit tough. Math is NOT my strong suit!

I personally loved 84, Charing Cross Road....what a lovely read!

For a while now, I have been debating what to read for the unreliable narrator prompt. After reading the Popsugar thread, I am thinking of The Handmaid's Tale. There's a long holds list at my local library, but I recently got a copy from Amazon.

This weekend I will be away, and hoping to go to a number of bookstores! I am very excited :)

QOTW: Like others, I usually just read whatever I am in the middle of. But for summer, I do like to keep it light, with chick-lit, or just something that is an easy read!

message 30: by Heather (last edited May 18, 2017 10:11AM) (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments Ann wrote: "Hi all,

Looks sunny in Vancouver today!

I am at 25/40 so far.

Still reading Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Spa..."

I really enjoyed The Other Typist last year (which definitely features an unreliable narrator). I still have a big question mark next to that item on the checklist myself!

message 31: by Megan (last edited May 18, 2017 01:32PM) (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments Sara wrote: what series are you bringing to read??
..."

Thanks! I have the Unspoken series loaded on to my kindle. But I also have Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone loaded on there too in case I really don't like the series.

message 32: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Hello from summery West Michigan. I haven't been able to enjoy the weather much but am hoping to have a great weekend lakeside beginning tomorrow. Here I come happy place!

This week I started and finished The Wangs vs. the World. I did A LOT of driving this weekend and I had this book on Audible so decided to listen to it. I really loved the narrator but the story wasn't great. It was OK. The narrator more than made up for it with her inspired reading. She did voices for each of the characters (well done, funny at times; her 16-year old teen girl was perfect) and spoke Chinese/Mandarin so was able to read the little dialogue in those languages too.

I miscounted last week and this book puts me at 16/40; 1/12 but still 2 behind my goal.

Question of the week:
When I'm on vacation I like to have something light that is a fast read. Two summers ago, I read The Martian which was a perfect vacation read for me. It was funny and a fast read.

But I tend to be overly ambitious when on vacation. I spent this past weekend with family and dragged two fiction books and the audio book along with me and read nothing but the audio all weekend.

message 33: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5931 comments Mod
Congratulations, Megan!! I hope your honeymoon is fantastic! That's a dedicated reader, bringing books on your honeymoon :-). Is your betrothed bring books too?

message 34: by Christy (new)

Christy | 351 comments Hello everyone! I finished a couple books this week, putting me at 24/52.
I read Farthing but didn't count it for PopSugar. I guess it would work for immigrant/refugee, but it felt like a stretch so I guess I'll just keep it in my back pocket. I did very much enjoy the book, though! Perfect plane read.
I also read Bellweather Rhapsody for my book set in a hotel and enjoyed it, though I felt that the plot could have ... trying to avoid spoilers ... had a bit more flair to it. Even sans flair, I was interested enough in the characters to keep me happy.

I'm still working on Lincoln in the Bardo, which is delightful, and I'm planning on starting A Fine Balance as soon as the library gets it to me. I'm not sure where I'll slot A Fine Balance, but given that I'm on track for the challenge, I'm not terribly worried about it. I've read a bunch of books lately written by white American people and I am so ready for books from different perspectives. I had been thinking of Hillbilly Elegy for my next book, but it'll have to wait a while.

QOTW: I associate summer with backpacking, so I tend to look for physically small and light books to read over the summer. The best solution to that are Reclamhefte, which are adorable little (mostly) yellow editions of German classics, or Dover thrift editions of English classics. So I end up with physically light but mentally heavy books. :-)

message 35: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Langsather (langsather) | 100 comments Hello from almost getting warmer and at least it stopped raining today- Oregon! After last week of just trying to catch up I decided to slow down a little bit because I am really wanting to savor Emily of New Moon "a book with a cat on the cover". So far it is absolutely beautiful- L.M. Montgomery has such a descriptive way of writing that I just want to soak it all in a little at a time so I don't get overwhelmed or feel like I have to rush through it.

I did finish one book this week Miss Spitfire: Reaching Helen Keller for the prompt "a book by or about a person who has a disability". It was a great read. It was like The Miracle Worker but from Annie Sullivan's perspective.

I have two books lined up that I am excited about The Book Thief (even though I have already seen the movie) and The Invisible Library. To the kids, I have been reading Little Dog, Lost it doesn't fit any prompts but it is adorable!

Progress: 18/40 and 1/12

QoTW: Since this is my first time doing a reading challenge I will probably just keep going down the list but normally I read Christy Award winners during the summer and this will be my first summer with a Kindle so now I don't have to worry so much about running out of reading material! I loved the reading guide from Modern Mrs. Darcy- Summer is too short to read bad books. Life is also too short to read bad books.

message 36: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (dg_reads) | 83 comments Southern California can't quite make up its mind as to what season it is. It's been chilly the last few evenings, so good for curling up on the couch, but it should warm up this weekend for some reading in the sunshine!

This week I finished off The Chemist for my espionage novel and I enjoyed it. I liked that the main character researched her survival skills by reading books after getting thrust into the world of espionage.

I read A Head Full of Ghosts which was recommended by Stephen King. I came away with mixed feelings on this one. Parts I really enjoyed, but as a whole I wasn't as thrilled.

Lastly, I finally finished Nightmares And Dreamscapes which I'm using for my book that's been on my TBR for too long. The paperback I had sitting on my shelf forever is written in the smallest printing possible, so I needed the Kindle to make reading such a long book palatable. As with most short story collections, I enjoyed some stories more than others, but overall it was a win. It also reminded me how nice it is to have a book of short stories around that I can intersperse between other readings when I'm just not ready to commit to starting a whole new novel.

21/40, 28/52

QOTW: I think it somewhat depends on what kind of vacation. When I go with just my best friend who also loves to read, I usually take a variety from light romance, to thrillers, to whatever I have on hand because we both love to sit by the pool and read. If it is going to be a more busy vacation or with more people, then usually my picks need to be lighter choices, ones I can be distracted from and get back into easily. My favorite part about using an e-reader is that I can 'pack' as many options as I want, no longer having to worry about which paperbacks I'm going to try to shove into my suitcase!

message 37: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 531 comments Heather wrote: "This was a good week!

Finished: Emma. What a slough. I didn't look too much at reviews before picking this up but I've read a couple other books from the Austen Project with varyi..."

I am a big Agatha Christie fan! The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is a major classic, as in it frequently makes the 'Books to Read in a Lifetime' type lists. For more summer-y reads, I love Death on the Nile, Evil Under the Sun, and A Caribbean Mystery.

message 38: by Jackie (last edited May 18, 2017 11:06AM) (new)

Jackie | 531 comments It's finally gotten warm and sunny up here in Chicago; let's just hope it stays this way over the weekend so I can enjoy it!

No books finished this week, but I did make a lot of progress on Les Miserables. I'm about 40% done with Vol 2, so probably by the end of the month I will cross over the 50% mark.

I've started reading The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit and I'm really liking it so far. Should be a very quick read based on the writing style.

QOTW: I don't necessarily go for 'fluffy' books in the summer, but I do tend to go for books that are set mainly outdoors, or in warm locations. Just something weird about reading about winter when it's 90 deg out. On vacation, my kindle is a lifesaver. I don't have to worry about running out of books; I can always download one from the library if I run through my reading material.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 836 comments Hi everyone. It was a pretty slow week for me, only finishing one book which brings me 37/52.

My one book was The Book Thief. I've finally managed to read the group read with everyone! I've actually already fulfilled the war prompt so I stretched it a little to fit into the life span category. I'll admit it, I wept for about 5 minutes reading this book - so glad I waited until I was home to finish the book instead of on the train.

Currently reading The Fate of Ten. I have a slot for this book but no idea where I can put the final book in the series. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

QOTW: My holiday reads are usually just whatever has come up on my library hold list!

However, when I was about thirteen/fourteen, back in the days of last minute Teletext holidays, my parents booked a family holiday without giving me a chance to get to the library so instead I borrowed a book from my brother, The Beach. I read it twice that holiday and then took it on every single trip for the next few years. The pages of the book actually smell of sunscreen and swimming pools because they've been on so many trips.

message 40: by Julie (last edited May 18, 2017 12:56PM) (new)

Julie | 172 comments Hi everyone!

My reading really slowed down this week. I expected to finish at least 2-3 books, but I got busy at work and at home, and then had a couple migraines (ugh). So I didn't actually finish anything this week. But I'm sitting at 45/52 so I can certainly slow down at this point!

I am currently reading Snow Crash, for a book mentioned in another book, A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Loss, and Survival for the immigrant prompt, and It Can't Happen Here. That last one doesn't fit any prompts as far as I can tell.

I might switch at least one book - probably Snow Crash - to audio and see how that goes.

QOTW: I used to purposefully not pack books on vacation, so that I had an excuse to pick up fast, quick, easy reads in airports or visit local bookstores. I think I read most of the Scarpetta novels on airplanes after buying them in the airport. Now, though, I usually load up my kindle with a few light, easy, upbeat reads. Usually I'll go for something from the lesfic or YA genres.

message 41: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1716 comments Caity wrote: "Book news: Nothing completed, nothing new started (thank god) but I'm getting close on a Harry Potter parody I found randomly on Amazon. It's pretty dumb, but it's also satisfying my need for the H..."

Good luck on the job interview, Caity! The only days worse for an interview in NYC than hot humid are downpours! Arrive early so you have a chance to cool down in a local cafe first.

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 129 comments This week was stormy, tornado weather in the plains! Safe and sound, but lots of tree branches to clean up in the yard.
I finished Jane Steele for the book with a characters name in the title. I love Jane Eyre and have been looking forward to this for awhile. I liked it, especially the take on the Jane and Rochest characters.
Also read I Let You Go. It's a book on a difficult topic, although for those who haven't read it I won't specify. This has been on my Kindle for a year as I heard it was a really twisty thriller. It is, the twists are surprising, but I found the whole book less than riveting, in fact it was down right slow in places. I liked it, but didn't love it.
QOTW- I like to read thrillers and mysteries too! This year I'm saving up a pile of Louise Penny books, I'm only on A Rule Against Murder so I have a ways to go!

message 43: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1716 comments Greetings from Hot NYC! So not happy about that (give me winter any time, please).

I had a finish this week - Yes, Chef - it felt like I had dinner with Marcus Samuelsson three days in a row during which he talked to me about his life, his cooking and his food. His voice is clear and present from the first word! This was my book written by someone I admire - and even though he has feet of clay, having been less than honorable at times in his personal life, I still admire him greatly. Plus, his NYC restaurants Red Rooster Harlem and Streetbird NYC are neighborhood hangouts for me (and yes, I've met Marcus - in fact my copy of the book is autographed).

I am at 23/40 and 4/12 - so 27/52.

Started several books, most notably:
Hunger’s Brides: A Novel of the Baroque for the two time periods prompt -- what am I thinking??? I've owned the book for years - and have been eager to read it for the last two or so. It is a giant hardcover, heavy as heck, a mere 1,376 pages ... and no ebook version available, nor a cheap paperback. It's an amazing read however, even though I will be limited to reading it at home sitting up on the couch with the book propped on pillows LOL! Given the length and 'challenge' to reading it, I might move this to the over 800 pages prompt but will wait to judge progress.

I needed a book to cart around so tried: The Towers of Trebizond for my eccentric character book and Murder in Madrid: Reality of Illusion just for fun, but neither could keep my attention. So I switched off to:
The Tenderness of Wolves - my book set in the wilderness - and I am loving it! Hudson Bay area of Canada, 1876, late autumn, a murder has happened and various folks start tracking the murderer through the wilderness. Perfect antidote to hot NYC weather -- cold temps of Canadian wilderness! Told from different POV, and some are first person, rest are not so creates an interesting narrative. Would also work for unreliable narrator prompt. Another hardcover I have owned for years - since 2005 or thereabouts - and have been yearning to read finally.

QOTW: - vacation reading for me is light, light, light - cozy mystery, contemporary or regency romance, light novel, thriller, supsense - often the latest in a series or by a favorite genre author. If my vacation is somewhere used as settings in a favorite genre, i.e. Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series when traveling in Egypt or a New England cozy writer if trip is to New England, I will select books set in those locales. Adore ebooks when travelling - means more room in my luggage for books I buy on the trip (I'm one of those - always buying books when travelling) and I never risk running out of reading material!

message 44: by Megan (last edited May 18, 2017 01:37PM) (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments Nadine wrote: "Congratulations, Megan!! I hope your honeymoon is fantastic! That's a dedicated reader, bringing books on your honeymoon :-). Is your betrothed bring books too?"

Thanks!

No haha - he's not a reader! *gasp* But we get along well because he puts sports on the tv and I bury myself in a book and listen to that in the background.

message 45: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1716 comments Rebecca wrote: "I got a huge book hangover from The Name of the Rose for the Around the Year challenge (ugh, it was SO awful), so I only managed to finish one Popsugar book this week.."

Funny about that - I tried to read it wayyyyy back when it was first out in paperback and everyone but everyone was reading adn raving about it. Could.Not.Stand.It. Made it through about 2 chapters if that. Then the very poor movie version came out which I eventually saw. For some reason I decided to read the book and I was able to sail through it, ended up really enjoying it - and it was far superior to the book. Having seen the movie, it somehow helped me get into the book. Also, I had learned by that point that Umberto Eco was writing on a more philosophical plain, which helped. I stopped reading it just as a historical mystery.

Anyway, I often wondered just how many of the people of those who I used to see reading it on the subway when it first was published in paperback actually finished it and liked it!

message 46: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1716 comments Heather wrote: "Also read At Bertram's Hotel for my book that takes place in a hotel (based on a recommendation from this group - thanks!!). It was SOMEHOW my first Agatha Christie and now I just want to tear through the catalog. Any recommendations for your favorites would be appreciated."

That was me and I'm delighted you enjoyed it! Some of my favorites -- all involving travel like Death on the Nile, Murder in Mesopotamia, The Man in the Brown Suit, most of Miss Marple, and the Tommy & Tuppence ones. I particularly love Poirot when he's off somewhere like Evil Under the Sun. It's easier to say which ones aren't worth reading - Third Girl (Agatha did not do 1970s England well) or Elephants Can Remember or The Pale Horse - although it's been so long since I read those last 2, I might like them now.

message 47: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments Theresa wrote: "Heather wrote: "Also read At Bertram's Hotel for my book that takes place in a hotel (based on a recommendation from this group - thanks!!). It was SOMEHOW my first Agatha Christie and now I just w..."

Thank you so much! I curled up on Saturday with a mug of tea and tore through most of Bertram's and was delighted. Definitely going to read more Miss Marple.

message 48: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Smith | 66 comments I finished The Zookeeper's Wife for a book becoming a movie. I didn't have a strong opinion about it one way or the other. That said, I also had to check my read book shelf to remind myself that I'd finished it this week, so that may tell you something about the staying power it had for me. That brings me to 30/52.

QOTW: A very timely QOTW this week as I am tacking on an extra couple of days to a business trip to Miami and staying through the weekend. (Terrible company I work for sending me here for training...honestly, the worst.) I don't often plan a particular type of book for vacation. I just load my kindle with whatever interests me and go. Although, this week I did make a point to throw a couple of physical books in my bag since it can be difficult to read on a device in bight sunlight.

message 49: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments Hey there from Paris, rattled by thunderstorms after a few unseasonably hot days. Somehow those rainstorms tend to break down just when I'm crossing the city on my scooter. Anyway...

One book read for the (advanced) challenge this week:
✅A4. A book that takes place over a character's life span: J. M. G. Le Clézio, Terra amata , Gallimard, 1998 (1st ed. 1967).
OK, I've enjoyed slow books, I've enjoyed difficult books, I've enjoy books many people would find tedious - but this was just awfully, terribly, unescapably boring. I mean, give me Claude Simon anytime... Actually I think that's what Le Clézio went for (since that was a novel from his relatively early days): trying to reach the Nouveau Roman hall of fame with Robbe-Grillet, Simon, Butor, Duras and others - but not making it. The sentences feel hollow, pretentious at time, even though there are a few gems here and there (a nice, if cryptic, love scene, a good sequence about individuation early in the book).

Good news is, one of the first chapters is called I was born; second to last two being I died (and the last one: and was burried) so it's a perfect fit for the prompt. Which is why I got the book anyway: I had my doubt about Le Clézio to begin with, even if the only work of him I read before (Lullaby) was good enough as a YA book. Guess he should have stuck to YA...

Now at 6/12 for advanced; still 14/40 on regular. Currently reading books for prompts 11, 27 and A8! :-)

QOTW: good question; nothing specific really... A little bit more time to read during vacations so I can tackle a few bricks! Plus there's a really great bookstore not far from my vacation place so I get many ideas by just browsing the shelves (and spending money).

message 50: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) | 164 comments Theresa wrote: "Good luck on the job interview, Caity! The only days worse for an interview in NYC than hot humid are downpours! Arrive early so you have a chance to cool down in a local cafe first. "

Thanks! I'm hoping it went well, but I'm so reluctant to feel confident about interviews at this point because every single interview is one round and a no lately and I don't know what I'm doing wrong or why employers seem so repulsed by me when they meet me.

I did arrive early, but there wasn't anywhere I could just sit and cool off other than the lobby of the building I was interviewing in because I have no money to buy a drink and businesses don't like people just randomly coming in and sitting down. :-/

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.