Aussie Readers discussion

Susan: Convict's Daughter, Soldier's Wife, Nobody's Fool
This topic is about Susan
Our Authors Spotlight > An Irish convict's daughter

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stella (last edited May 17, 2017 11:15PM) (new)

Stella Budrikis | 34 comments Hi, I'm Stella Budrikis, and I live in Perth. Susan: Convict's Daughter, Soldier's Wife, Nobody's Fool is my first book. Susan Whybrew (nee Mason) grew up in Adelaide in the 1850s. She was born into an Irish Catholic family when Adelaide was predominantly Protestant, the daughter of a former convict at a time when South Australia supposedly had no "convict stain". She married an English soldier when the British army still treated wives as an unwanted encumberance. This is her story, offering a glimpse into the lives of those on the edges of society in the Victorian era.

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brenda | 68360 comments Mod
Congratulations on your debut book Stella :) It's non fiction isn't it?
Susan Convict's Daughter, Soldier's Wife, Nobody's Fool by Stella Budrikis

message 3: by Stella (last edited May 17, 2017 11:32PM) (new)

Stella Budrikis | 34 comments Brenda wrote: "Congratulations on your debut book Stella :) It's non fiction isn't it?
Susan Convict's Daughter, Soldier's Wife, Nobody's Fool by Stella Budrikis"

Yes, should have mentioned that :) It's about 160 pages in the print version, with kindle, ibook and epub versions available.

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brenda | 68360 comments Mod

message 5: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Robards (sharonrobards) | 944 comments Congratulations. I just read the preview of this Stella as it is a period that interests me greatly. I, at some stage will pick it up and read it all. Good luck with it.

message 6: by Stella (new)

Stella Budrikis | 34 comments Thanks for the encouragement Sharon.

message 7: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Robards (sharonrobards) | 944 comments You're welcome!

message 8: by Stella (new)

Stella Budrikis | 34 comments Good news ( for me) "Susan" is currently one of the "books of the month" in the Goodreads non-fiction book club. I'm hoping that might mean some reviews, or at least a rating or two :)
Susan: Convict's Daughter, Soldier's Wife, Nobody's Fool