The Anubis Gates The Anubis Gates discussion

WHY CAN'T ALL BOOKS BE THIS GOOD??

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lytton Bell I was so entertained from start to finish. It might be "the perfect" book. Amusing, multi-faceted characters; spooky, historical-yet-fantastical setting, wild plot containing everything from ancient Egyptian sorcerers to Romantic poets to the mediocre colleges of the UC system. I am so in love with it and so horribly disappointed by nearly everything else. What do I read next?

nobody I've also enjoyed the book very much. If you like sci-fi then I recommend the first two Hyperion books from Dan Simmons, they also have a very good and complex story, but it's taking place in the future. Byron, the poet is also involved in a strange way.
It isn't that similar to The Anubis Gates, but I've found them both fascinating in their own genre.

Hyperion

Lytton Bell Thank you for the tip; I will definitely check it out!

Ilana Try On Stranger Tides by the same author. Very different from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie of the same name that was loosely based on it. Equally as fantastic a story as Anubis Gate, similarly great writing, characters, magic and historic details.

Also, if you haven't read either Stardust or Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, I recommend those as well.

Lytton Bell Thanks Magrat, I will!!

Roberta I loved this book - and if it hadn't been for my book challenge I never would have found it!

Darren Drake Lytton Bell wrote: "I was so entertained from start to finish. It might be "the perfect" book. Amusing, multi-faceted characters; spooky, historical-yet-fantastical setting, wild plot containing everything from ancien..."

Hi Lytton,
I finished reading The Anubis Gates, just now. I agree with you; it is a wonderfully crafted book. Thoroughly entertaining with flourishes of erudition and sorcery to keep me guessing and stimulated.

To answer your question: what to read next? (I know its been 2 years for you). Have you read "The Difference Engine" by William Gibson & Bruce Sterling?

Lytton Bell Thank you Darren - I will definitely read that one! I also recommend Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters, which is wildly different (except for the ancient Egypt tie-in) but also zany, clever and fast-paced.