Reading Women discussion

Currently Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kendra, Co-founder (new)

Kendra Winchester (kdwinchester) | 559 comments Mod
Hello there, bookish friends!

We want to know what you're currently reading.! Has anyone read Priestdaddy or The Fact of a Body? I can't wait to read those. <3

- Kendra

Carol (Reading Ladies) (carolreadingladies) | 7 comments Beartown

message 3: by Nazlı (new)

Nazlı Ergüder I'm currently reading Kafamda Bir Tuhaflık (A Strangeness in My Mind) by Orhan Pamuk.

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Postle | 2 comments Just started A Handmaid's Tale - think I'm in for a treat. Also reading a book by Henry Buckley on the Spanish Civil War (non-fiction and it's fantastic).

message 5: by Eva (new)

Eva (evagpinos) | 2 comments Kerry wrote: "Just started A Handmaid's Tale - think I'm in for a treat. Also reading a book by Henry Buckley on the Spanish Civil War (non-fiction and it's fantastic)."

I really enjoyed the "Handmaid's Tale" and also its TV series adaptation (by Hulu)!

I am currently reading the last book of the Neapolitan Novels, that's "The story of the Lost Child", by Elena Ferrante. I recommend the whole saga. It talks about women and about their relationship with family, friends, motherhood, poverty and, of course, other women. If you read it, let me know your opinion.

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 23 comments Has anyone considered a read for Women's History month?

message 7: by JenniferD (last edited Mar 01, 2018 04:51PM) (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) | 118 comments Leslie wrote: "Has anyone considered a read for Women's History month?"

i have!! i spent a good chunk of this morning thinking about this! :) i began compiling some options to read this month, and made a folder on my kobo with lots of choices, for women's history month. my plan is to only read female authors writing about women, both fiction and nonfiction.

at the moment, i am reading Lilli de Jong.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 23 comments Oh that looks like a great read!!! Very good. It snuck up on me so I'm sitting here thinking. I didn't wrap up my February reads yet.

message 9: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) | 118 comments Leslie wrote: "Oh that looks like a great read!!! Very good. It snuck up on me so I'm sitting here thinking. I didn't wrap up my February reads yet."

it kind of snuck up on me too... i finished Lilli de Jong this morning, and it ws quite good.

i hope you discover some great reads this month, leslie.

message 10: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) | 118 comments i just began reading Garden of the Lost and Abandoned: The Extraordinary Story of One Ordinary Woman and the Children She Saves. coincidentally, the opening of this book nearly mirrors a situation in the book i just finished reading, Lilli de Jong - though vastly different times and settings, it's interesting how this overlap stood out for me.

message 11: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 5 comments I'm reading Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. Its good... not sure if great yet.

Loved the Neopolitan novels!!!!

message 12: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (lostinagoodbook) | 1 comments I'm currently reading Torn by Rowenna Miller. It's kind of slow going. *sigh* Other than that just trying to keep up in my Philosophy class, also slow going. :)

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mspoke) | 5 comments I just finished The Age of Miracles and I am starting on Welcome to Lagos

message 14: by Jean (new)

Jean I'm reading Fruit of the Drunken Tree and Circe.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mspoke) | 5 comments Jean wrote: "I'm reading Fruit of the Drunken Tree and Circe."

Nice, I plan to read both later this year. Hope you enjoy it

message 16: by Jean (new)

Jean Jennifer wrote: "Jean wrote: "I'm reading Fruit of the Drunken Tree and Circe."

Nice, I plan to read both later this year. Hope you enjoy it"

Right now I'm enjoying FOTDT.

message 17: by Edie (new)

Edie | 13 comments Reading What the Eyes Do Not See

message 18: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 18 comments I'm reading The Italian Teacher. I am trying to read all (or most) of the short list for the Tournament of Books before it starts up in March.

message 19: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 52 comments I am reading Bury Your Dead and A Place for Us, and listening to The Other Woman. Bury Your Dead can work for any book from a series. The others will be for other challenges.

message 20: by Dana (new)

Dana Trotter Edie wrote: "Reading What the Eyes Do Not See"

I’d like to know what you think of this book. My book club is reading it later this year(my suggestion), and I’m looking forward to it.

message 21: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 5 comments Dana wrote: "Edie wrote: "Reading What the Eyes Do Not See"

I’d like to know what you think of this book. My book club is reading it later this year(my suggestion), and I’m looking forward to it."

I cannot locate this book. Is this the correct title?

message 22: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 139 comments Caroline wrote: "Dana wrote: "Edie wrote: "Reading What the Eyes Do Not See"

I cannot locate this book. Is this the correct title? "

What the Eyes Don't See: A Story of Crisis, Resistance, and Hope in an American City

message 23: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 5 comments dalex wrote: "Caroline wrote: "Dana wrote: "Edie wrote: "Reading What the Eyes Do Not See"

I cannot locate this book. Is this the correct title? "

[book:What the Eyes Don't See: A Story of Crisis, Resistance, ..."

Thank you!

message 24: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (nadinekc) | 106 comments I'm reading Insurrecto and listening to Milkman. Loving both of them.

message 25: by Jean (last edited Jan 13, 2019 11:10AM) (new)

Jean I'm currently reading Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie by Kamila Shamsie. This could be used for the 2019 challenge for a South Asian author, a religion other than your own (unless you're Muslim), or a book you picked up because of the cover. It's a very good read.

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 21 comments I recently finished Becoming, which I HIGHLY recommend. I'm currently reading The Broken Teaglass, which is a cute and easy read so far.

message 27: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 19 comments Just started The Book of M

message 28: by Kath (new)

Kath Lau (kath_reads) | 4 comments I just started The Matchmaker's List.

message 29: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 139 comments Tracy wrote: "Just started The Book of M"

I read this last summer and loved it so very much! It was my #1 book of 2018. Hope you enjoy it.

message 30: by Jean (last edited Jan 18, 2019 04:31PM) (new)

Jean Just finished The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas by Angie Thomas and The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood by Margaret Atwood

Both were excellent.

message 31: by dalex (last edited Jan 19, 2019 05:16AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 139 comments I'm planning to spend the weekend reading The Tiger's Daughter by K. Arsenault Rivera. We're supposed to get some epic snow (and it's a 3 day weekend because of the Monday holiday) so it's a good time to curl up with a lengthy fantasy novel, cups o' tea, lots of blankies, and a pile of cats.

message 32: by Dana (new)

Dana Trotter I’m starting Sense and Sensibility today. I have read this several times already, but I reread one Jane Austen every year.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mspoke) | 5 comments Just finished this Unmarriageable . Quite a good read.

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Tourish | 2 comments Hi all,

I'm a new member here. I'm reading Clock Dance by Anne Tyler. I've been a fan of hers forever because I love her quirky characters.

message 35: by Debra (new)

Debra (drdeb) Circe

I'm reading Circe and really enjoying it.

K.D. wrote: "Hello there, bookish friends!

We want to know what you're currently reading.! Has anyone read Priestdaddy or The Fact of a Body? I can't wait to read those. <3

- Kendra"

message 36: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 52 comments I'm reading The Stone Sky, and listening to The Masterpiece

message 37: by Erika (new)

Erika Fleming (erikag) | 29 comments My Year of Rest and Relaxation, not sure how I feel about it

message 38: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (nadinekc) | 106 comments I'm reading Praise Song for the Butterflies and it's wonderful. It's quick reading, but still digs deep. Based on this, I'll read all of Bernice McFadden's books! I've had her The Book of Harlan on my kindle for a long time, and I hear it's terrific.

message 39: by Udita (new)

Udita | 4 comments Currently reading Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson and it is very therapeutic.

message 40: by Dana (new)

Dana Trotter I’m readingAn Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz. I’m learning so much and taking a lot of notes. I try to read 2-3 history books each year, so this book was a perfect fit for the Indigenous author prompt.

message 41: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (nadinekc) | 106 comments I just finished Praise Song for the Butterflies by Bernice McFadden and love it. I wish I could plop it into my RW reading challenge, but I don't think it fits anywhere, unless I lie and say I chose it for the cover ;)

Has anyone read anything else by this author? I have The Book of Harlan on my Kindle and am looking forward to it.

message 42: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnprivett) Nadine wrote: "I just finished Praise Song for the Butterflies by Bernice McFadden and love it. I wish I could plop it into my RW reading challenge, but I don't think it fits anywhere, unless I li..."

Did you happen to borrow or buy it this year?

message 43: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (nadinekc) | 106 comments Autumn wrote: "Nadine wrote: "I just finished Praise Song for the Butterflies by Bernice McFadden and love it. I wish I could plop it into my RW reading challenge, but I don't think it fits anywhe..."

Borrowed from the library......does that count?

message 44: by Simi (new)

Simi (simtara) | 2 comments I'm working through
1. Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race - it's been on my list and just happens to fit the bill for this challenge.
2. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life - slower going than I anticipated; content is good, but the read isn't necessarily compelling.
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - I'd planned on working my way through the series (again!) this year, and this too fits the challenge, so win-win!

I might pick up The Simplicity Project: Win Your Battle with Chaos & Clutter So You Can Live a Life of Peace & Purpose as well, because life could use a little simplifying this year and I'm already a month behind!

message 45: by Milena (last edited Feb 02, 2019 11:37AM) (new)

Milena (milenas) | 52 comments I'm reading The Obelisk Gate. I hope to finish the series this year. I would not call it easy reading, but it's so good.

message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 14, 2019 01:45PM) (new)

I'm reading The Good Son by You-Jeong Jeong. I picked this one up during a library browse.

You-jeong Jeong was born in Hampyeong, South Korea. She initially trained and worked as a nurse. She is now South Korea's leading writer of psychological crime and thriller fiction and is often compared to Stephen King and Raymond Chandler.

Prompt #1-Yes yes!!

message 47: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hudson (docnancy) I’m reading the newest Gray Man by Mark Greely. I love assassin books. I have kind of put down Terra Nullius because I’m not impressed so far. I need to finish it. Then I will tell you what I thought of it.

message 48: by Lynn (last edited Mar 17, 2019 07:51AM) (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 73 comments Just completed Karen McManus's second book Two Can Keep a Secret! I loved it even more than her debut, One of Us Is Lying. (Mainly due to the story arc.) She is now one of my favorite authors! Now finishing Chocolat. So very poignant and thought-provoking!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished Fatal Secrets. Good romsus.

message 50: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 6 comments I just finished Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield. It is a beautifully written historical novel set on the Thames.

I am currently reading Stay with Me by Ayọ̀bámi Adébáyọ̀ who was born in Nigeria. The setting of the book is Nigeria as well. I am enjoying it so far.

« previous 1 3