The Readers discussion

Episode Discussions > Episode 169: Booktube

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 28 comments Another great episode! Thomas, you were missed of course, but it was lovely to hear from Simon's booktube friends.

I loved that you asked them when they had time to read *and* booktube. I have to admit...please don't hate me...I'm with Thomas and I don't really get the booktube thing... It's not just booktube, though - I get annoyed when I click on a link for an article and it goes to a video instead of a written article. I think the reason I haven't embraced booktube more is because it seems like it takes up more time as opposed to reading a blog/twitter feed or listening to a podcast. I can skim a blog if I'm short on time, or I normally listen to podcasts when I'm in the car - so it's not like I can exactly be watching a booktube video.
I think part of it, too, is that I shrink in horror at the thought of someone recording me on video. (And let's be honest - part of it is that I'd end up binge watching booktube videos like I do TV shows...)

That said - I have enjoyed the 4-5 booktube episodes of Simon's that I've watched, so I guess I just need to make more time for it. The three of you are a good place to start :)

Anyone else out there a booktube novice?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 64 comments Katherine wrote: "Another great episode! Thomas, you were missed of course, but it was lovely to hear from Simon's booktube friends.

I loved that you asked them when they had time to read *and* booktube. I have to..."

I subscribe to a lot of booktubers but I'm pretty selective as to the videos I actually spend time on. While I enjoy seeing pictures of people's book hauls and tbr lists in Litsy and Instagram, I don't want to hear them talking about them for 10 minutes. I want to hear what they think about the books they've read, particularly during award season. I tend to gravitate to the older/more serious readers because with YA booktubers, it's like an army of publisher promoters, all talking about the same books. However it seems like the focus of booktube is more about whatever the video equivalent to memes would be. I'm not so interested in that. But I might just be too old? I dunno. I keep trying because I teach a reading class and want them to be able to hook into this kind of interaction with books (they can be booktubers for their reflection assignments if they choose.... nobody has chosen it yet!)

One thing that helps in getting through them - if you pay for YouTube Red you can let the videos play while you do other things on your device. Best money I spend! I don't need to SEE the books or the faces.

Yeah, I think I actually just prefer podcasts. :)

message 3: by Louise (last edited May 18, 2017 06:53AM) (new)

Louise | 154 comments Great to have you back on the blog Simon :-) :-)

I'm not that crazy about booktube - good youtubers I guess have to spend time perfecting speech, presentation etc and I find that most of what I encounter, the times I gave watching book vlogging a shot, is people talking too fast, mumbling etc., a messy presentation with little or no tangible preparation, not the best sound quality = not very interesting, and I could rarely bring myself to hang on for a whole video. So I'm sticking to blogs and well produced podcasts for the time being. (Maybe a result of me turning 40 and getting old? :-)

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyfried) | 32 comments Have watched a few book tubes but really like to listen to podcasts at the gym or driving. Best of all is listening to book banter as I fall asleep - it can take several nights to listen to one episode this way, but I so love it, and can always make a note of books to add to the tbr pile on my phone as I listen.

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomasathogglestock) | 251 comments When I'm on YouTube I tend to go down rabbit holes watching old footage of Marilyn Horne, or watching 747s take off.

message 6: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments I watch/listen to a lot of Book Tube and am well acquainted with both Mercedes and Lauren's channels. I find both ladies to be really entertaining, even if they are discussing a book I am not necessarily interested in reading.

And I totally second the recommendation of the channels "Insert Literary Pun Here", "The Poptimist" and "Portal in the Pages". All three offer really insightful, intelligent book reviews and if you want a professional sheen to your BookTube enjoyment, all three are very well spoken, and in particular, the Poptimist is excellent.

But I do watch selectively. If I am not interested in the content, I skip it.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 64 comments I mostly use YouTube for baby animals and blooper reels.

message 8: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I mostly use YouTube for baby animals and blooper reels."

I just found out this weekend that my 70 year old uncle watches truck drivers who vlog their long hauls, just talking and shooting the scenery as they drive.

The possibilities are endless!

message 9: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments Ruthiella wrote: "I watch/listen to a lot of Book Tube and am well acquainted with both Mercedes and Lauren's channels. I find both ladies to be really entertaining, even if they are discussing a book I am not neces..."

Hmm maybe I should check out some of those :-)

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 92 comments I have watched a few of Simon's videos, but I really don't have time to watch Booktube. I like podcasts because I can listen while I run or do household chores.

message 11: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments and while driving/shopping :-)

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (whatlovelybooks) I like Booktube bc I'm a visual person and when someone holds up a book and says I loved this book, I'm more inclinded to remember and buy it later at the book store. Also, I like to look at other people's pretty shelves and Booktube is a nice way to do that.

message 13: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments Sandra wrote: "I like Booktube bc I'm a visual person and when someone holds up a book and says I loved this book, I'm more inclinded to remember and buy it later at the book store. Also, I like to look at other ..."
Bookshelf tours are totally one of my favorite type of posts to watch. Especially when the booktuber explains a bit as to why or how that book came to be in their possession.

message 14: by Sue (new)

Sue Wow! Just got around to catching up with some of my podcasts. Three of my favorite people all in one go. So enjoyed hearing how you all became friends through book tube. I have to say I enjoy both book tube and the podcast so please keep them coming.

message 15: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 4 comments Anyone have suggestions on book tube channels that don't focus on YA?

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments I tried some of Ruthiella' s suggestions, and really like "The Poptimist" - very pleasant to listen to as well :-)

message 17: by allbooksnoheart (new)

allbooksnoheart (hi I'm new here) I only recently found The Readers via watching Simon's booktube vids. I watch a reasonable few though not as many to say I have a real breadth of knowledge. I originally didn't watch booktube as - as was mentioned on the podcast- it can take time to find ones you like and that you get- I found a lot of them too long and decided I definitely don't like long shelf tours (short ones are fine), it's lovely that people enjoy their books as art objects as much as the story but my bookshelves are full of creased and well-thumbed fallen-in-the-bath bought-in-a-charity-shop books so I couldn't really relate to some of the beautifully curated shelves and the idea of keeping multiple editions of the same series because of the covers ;) but then I found a few videos I liked- Jean's bookish thoughts was probably one of the first for me (her videos are lovely and quick) and then I found others like Simon's and Lauren's and I quite like one called the bighaired bookworm (although it is sometimes a bit long for me) because she's another who reads really broadly...

(saying it's 'too long' makes me sound like I have an attention span of a gnat but really it's because if a video's not very long I go "oh I can just watch one before I go to work/eat breakfast/write my essays/watch a lecture" wheras if it's longer than about 20 minutes the guilt sets in)