Catholic Readers discussion

A Mother Goddess for Our Times
This topic is about A Mother Goddess for Our Times
Promotions, own books, etc. > Apparitions at Medjugorje

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna O.P. (aelissa) I'm sorry, but the Church has pronounced that the Medjugorje events are nothing supernatural. Very likely they come from demons.

Also, regardless, I think it is not fitting to list this book here in a Catholic group. The Virgin Mary is not a goddess. She's a human creature, saved and preserved from sin by Our Lord Jesus Christ. She magnifies the Lord, and she guides us to worship the one and only God.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Hall (jdhallky) | 3 comments Wow, I had no idea that Medjugorje devotees use the term "goddess" to refer to our Lady. I have long been in the "maybe something legit happened at the beginning but these ongoing messages are clearly a hoax" camp, but if that terminology is pretty widespread I would tend to agree with Anna that things might be way more serious.

Is this a fringe book, or is this kind of thing widespread among devotees?

message 3: by Judith (last edited May 18, 2017 06:45PM) (new)

Judith Lambert (httpwwwgoodreadscomjtlambert) | 3 comments Hello.....I debated weather or not to list this book here and I will remove the post as it seems to have caused concern. My apologies...my experiences as an outsider to Catholicism were simply mind blowing and wonderful and I thought others might find some revealing insights from my sojourn there. Again, my apologies!

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Hall (jdhallky) | 3 comments My apologies, Judith. I misunderstood where you were coming from. I didn't realize you were not a Catholic. Knowing that now, I realize my comment was very uncharitable. I am glad you had a positive experience at Medjugorje. But, it is certainly true that the Catholic Church would never consider Mary to be a goddess. In our faith, there is one God, and Mary is a human being. She is uniquely graced and has a very important role in our salvation as the Mother of our Lord, and therefore our spiritual Mother, too. But, she is a creature.

I will pray for you and your spiritual journey. Again, I'm sorry for how I reacted.

message 5: by Judith (last edited May 19, 2017 10:05PM) (new)

Judith Lambert (httpwwwgoodreadscomjtlambert) | 3 comments Hi Jason, Oh, that's so kind of you! Please don't feel bad or concerned. I was raised without religion so when I went to Medjugorje I tried to make sense of what was occurring as an outsider and turned to history. Medjugorje was a wonderful place for me to experience Catholicism and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. The book was written in an attempt to let outsiders experience (at least one aspect) of what is going on inside the Church....I love the Catholic Church now and that was not always the case...Medjugorje changed that for me and although controversial and definitely a fringe book, I nevertheless wrote it so that outsiders might view the Church differently and come see for themselves. Please don't worry, I'm not too bruised (ha) and thanks to my experiences with the Catholic Church and Medjugorje my spirituality is well intact....but I will always take prayers! Thank you again and peace.

message 6: by Cameron (new)

Cameron M | 3 comments I'll echo everything Anna says. I was discerning whether or not respond anything regarding this post, but it looks like there have been responses.

Truth be told, these so-called Marian apparitions are completely out of character for Our Lady's past apparitions. Now, having said that, God is not bound to anything and can use whatever He wills as a vessel of His grace. It just does not follow history that the Blessed Virgin would reveal Herself in Medjugorje as it is claimed.

message 7: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Hartono | 39 comments While in Medjugorje, you might have gone to church and daily Mass. The Eucharist is central to the Catholic faith. Below is my reflection on this Sunday's Corpus Christi Feast. Blessings!

Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.” John 6:53

Everything about Christ is divine. Jesus is God in Spirit, Body and Blood. It is easy to imagine God as Spirit. But it is more difficult to accept Our Lord as fully human in the flesh. But accept we must. Our creed demands it. Christians profess belief in Jesus the only Son of God the Father to be born of a human mother Mary. He suffered, died, and was buried as a flesh and blood human being.

Jesus is clear. He is the living bread that came down from heaven. He gives us his flesh and blood for the life of the world. The Jews at the time were shocked and disbelieving. But Jesus repeats, “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life.” He continues, “My flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.” In case the reader is still in denial, the passage continues, “This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.” John 6:51-58

Jesus is the Living Bread of Eternal Life. In the Lord’s Prayer, we petition God to “Give us today our daily bread” Matthew 6:11. We ask Our Father in heaven to give us today, at this moment, our eternally present nourishment. Think about that for a moment. Everyday, Catholics in the state of grace receive Jesus the Bread of Life Everlasting.

At the Last Supper, Jesus gave up his earthly existence and began what we call his Transubstantiation. “And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to (his disciples), saying, ‘This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.’ In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you’” Luke 22:19-20. There is no going around it. If we believe the Word of Jesus, we must accept that the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ.