Celtic Studies discussion

Beginner Book recommendations for Celtic and Gaelic

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reeds (new)

Reeds | 3 comments I'm hoping to learn more about Celtic and Gaelic history, but I don't want to start off with a 'heavy' tome that will only discourage me. Is there a book or books that show it as exciting and fun?

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Frew | 2 comments Most of the books I've read are archeological and a bit dense. My own Guardians of the Celtic Way is a light overview of Celtic beliefs and tree lore. There are a lot more out there, but I am not familiar with them or how accurate or "fun" they might be. Enjoy your search! I find Celtic lore utterly fascinating!

message 3: by Reeds (new)

Reeds | 3 comments Thank you for the recommendation.

message 4: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) | 7 comments When you say 'Gaelic' are you referring to the language, or something else?

In terms of 'Celtic' history, perhaps "The Celts: A Very Short Introduction" by Barry W. Cunliffe would serve? It's short, but has a bibliography.

Most of the books I have read on the topic are very academic and dense, but I find that exciting because I am still learning.

message 5: by Reeds (new)

Reeds | 3 comments Ancestral wrote: "When you say 'Gaelic' are you referring to the language, or something else?

In terms of 'Celtic' history, perhaps "The Celts: A Very Short Introduction" by [author:Barry W. Cunliffe|..."

The language, the people, the history...my ignorance on the topic is vast so I'm hoping for a basic introduction that covers it all.

message 6: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) | 7 comments I would still probably recommend the book by Barry W. Cunliffe above, and go from there, picking and choosing which of the modern-day, or ancient cultures labelled as 'celtic' you wish to explore and finding books on that.

Happy reading!

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve Hewitt | 1 comments A serious introduction to the Celtic languages...
Paul Russell, An Introduction to the Celtic Languages, Routledge, 2014.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction...