Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2017 > 20.6 Young Men

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments 20.6 Young Men

In honor of A Prayer for Owen Meany and The Goblin Emperor, read a book with a male protagonist 18 years old or younger.

message 2: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 17, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

message 3: by Rosemary (last edited May 19, 2017 12:53PM) (new)

Rosemary | 2955 comments Does he have to be human? E.g. would a dog count? Or an alien?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments I'm very sorry this has taken so long to answer.

No animals, and very likely only humans, but if you have a specific book with an alien in mind, come back and we'll take a look.

message 5: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2955 comments No problem. I thought you might be conferring. And I totally understand about the animals! When I thought about it, I realised that it would be hard to find an equivalent for "under 18" in all the different species!

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2475 comments On the list: 'books with compelling young narrators' I found The Heart is a Lonely Hunter I can't seem to find anything that states how old John Singer is though. Would this book work?

message 7: by Lagullande (last edited May 25, 2017 11:37AM) (new)

Lagullande | 1029 comments Valerie wrote: "On the list: 'books with compelling young narrators' I found The Heart is a Lonely Hunter I can't seem to find anything that states how old John Singer is though. Would this book work?"

Valerie, I've just finished reading this (zero points under this season's tasks though!). I don't remember it stating how old John Singer is, but he definitely comes across as being an adult.

I assume the book is on that list due to the character of Mick Kelly, who is fourteen.....but a girl.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Lagullande wrote: "I assume the book is on that list due to the character of Mick Kelly, who is fourteen.....but a girl. "

Yep, that would be correct. The lists refer to both male and female characters, so you have to dig a bit further to check.

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2475 comments Lagullande wrote: "Valerie wrote: "On the list: 'books with compelling young narrators' I found The Heart is a Lonely Hunter I can't seem to find anything that states how old John Singer is though. Would..."

Ok, thanks - I thought that might be the case.

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniethepler) | 81 comments Would the Lemony Snicket A Series of Unfortunate Events books count? I don't know if it's just one of the protagonists (in which case, Klaus would certainly count) or if it must be the only/main protagonist (in which case, maybe not, since he shares the "protagonist" role with his 2 sisters...)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments Melanie wrote: "Would the Lemony Snicket A Series of Unfortunate Events books count? I don't know if it's just one of the protagonists (in which case, Klaus would certainly count) or if it must be the only/main pr..."

We will accept this, even though the young male is not the only protagonist, but is a main character.

message 12: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4347 comments Would Shadowbahn work for this task? From reading the description it appears there are three protagonists that are children. Two boys and a girl.

message 13: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2288 comments Melanie wrote: "Would the Lemony Snicket A Series of Unfortunate Events books count? I don't know if it's just one of the protagonists (in which case, Klaus would certainly count) or if it must be the only/main pr..."

I loved that series.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments Rebekah wrote: "Would Shadowbahn work for this task? From reading the description it appears there are three protagonists that are children. Two boys and a girl."

I asked another who has read this book. The male protagonist is not a child, and age not given, but supposed to be late teen. As such, we will allow it.

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4347 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Would Shadowbahn work for this task? From reading the description it appears there are three protagonists that are children. Two boys and a girl."

I asked another w..."

Thanks!

message 16: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4569 comments Would this one count assuming the brother is a significant character?
Firefly Cloak

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Would this one count assuming the brother is a significant character?
Firefly Cloak"

Yes, but none of the reviews mention Travis, so I would approach with caution.

message 18: by Karen Michele (last edited Jun 08, 2017 11:16AM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4569 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "Would this one count assuming the brother is a significant character?
Firefly Cloak"

Yes, but none of the reviews mention Travis, so I would approach with caution."

I noticed that, too, so I will only claim it there if he's significant enough.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments Thanks, Karen.

message 20: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4569 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "Would this one count assuming the brother is a significant character?
Firefly Cloak"

Yes, but none of the reviews mention Travis, so I would approach with caution."

I've found out that this one doesn't fit the task.

message 21: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 14, 2017 02:31PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments If anyone is still looking around for a book to fill this task, I'm currently reading (for ACG) Snow in August, which fits - and has at least 3 combos.

message 22: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2523 comments The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle #2)

There are 2 threads to this book:
1. Present: Kvothe, in his 20s, who is telling his 'autobiography' to the Chronicler. And also in this time thread, a little danger that has cropped up.
2. Past: Kvothe in his teens. This book picked up straight after book 1 finishes so he's 15 and I haven't progressed that far to see until what age his 'autobiography' will get up to at the end of this book.

I thought I'd ask though whether this structure is acceptable for this task as the 'past' makes up about 90% of book 1 & I think it will be similar in book 2.

message 23: by Anika (last edited Jun 18, 2017 03:11AM) (new)

Anika | 1921 comments I have a question that seems to tie into Tien's...I'm reading Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three and most of the book is set during their trial when they are only 16, 17, and 18-years-old... it's only in the epilogue (at least, based on how short it is and where it occurs on the audiobook I'm guessing it's the epilogue) that any mention is made of the push for a retrial and public outcry that occurred after they'd been imprisoned for several years.
Does that relatively-short part of the book disqualify it outright as fitting this category?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments Tien, Anika ... everyone. We have decided that the protagonist must be of the right age for at least 90% of the book. He can look back or age for the remainder.

message 25: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2523 comments Thanks, Elizabeth.

message 26: by Anika (new)

Anika | 1921 comments Perfect! Thanks :-)

message 27: by Karin (last edited Jun 18, 2017 07:11PM) (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Tien, Anika ... everyone. We have decided that the protagonist must be of the right age for at least 90% of the book. He can look back or age for the remainder."

Thanks. I haven't looked for that book yet; this time I'm trying to get through what I've already picked and near the end of that look for more books. It keeps my reading mess pile smaller. Lately I haven't been as good at keeping my books in a bag or neat pile, but in various ones for the different things here. I plan to do better at organizing after I get though this crazy week. (I remain optimistic on this point).

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1109 comments So I started reading Dune and in the book Paul Atreides is much younger than he's shown in the movies.

He's barely fifteen when the book starts and for about 2/3 of it and his mother is newly aware she is pregnant.

In the final 1/3 his sister is referred to as a child of two years old (also much younger than shown in the movies) but, in flipping around, I don't see an explicit reference to his age. In looking at a few fandom links there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus as to if he was 18 in this part or not. If he wasn't, it would have needed to be very close.

I'll be logging this one under 20.1 but was wondering if it would qualify here for the bonus combo?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments Beth wrote: "So I started reading Dune and in the book Paul Atreides is much younger than he's shown in the movies.

He's barely fifteen when the book starts and for about 2/3 of it and his mother is newly awar..."

The final third of the book may move through time faster than the first two. As long as it can be reasonably presumed Paul is 18 or under for at least 90% of this book, you can claim 20.6.

message 30: by Karin (new)

Karin Okay, so how about Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet where the protagonist, David, is either still 11 or is now 12, and so is his best friend, Chuck? I don't think this matters for this book, but the Lexile Score is 1000.

message 31: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 22, 2017 03:37PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments Karin wrote: "Okay, so how about Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet where the protagonist, David, is either still 11 or is now 12, and so is his best friend, Chuck? I don't think this matters for this..."

If the male protagonist is 18 or younger for at least 90% of the book, it works for this task.

message 32: by Karin (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karin wrote: "Okay, so how about Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet where the protagonist, David, is either still 11 or is now 12, and so is his best friend, Chuck? I don't think this ma..."

I thought so. It just seemed so easy. I wasn't sure where I'd look, but since I thought I'd read another one of these for Canadian woman, I realized there was this category. So I'll read this for young men, instead.

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 539 comments Would Farid from Inkspell count as a protagonist/ main character?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments Rachelccameron wrote: "Would Farid from Inkspell count as a protagonist/ main character?"

From reading reviews, it appears he is enough of a main character to qualify.

message 35: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments I'm reading The Girl with the Red Balloon, and it switches between three POVs and two timelines. The main one is a 16 year old girl, but there's also a 13 year old boy and the third POV is a boy, his age hasn't been mentioned yet but they refer to him as being a teenager a little older than the girl. Is that enough for it to qualify?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments Sam wrote: "I'm reading The Girl with the Red Balloon, and it switches between three POVs and two timelines. The main one is a 16 year old girl, but there's also a 13 year old boy and the third..."

As long as either of them continues in the story rather than a brief appearance, and is of the right age for at least 90% of the story, this will work.

message 37: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments Would The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie work for this task? According to the description, the protagonist is in high school which I assume (not knowing better) means that he would be under 18?
I know I won't be able to claim styles on this one due to YAa assignment and low lexile...

message 38: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4569 comments I can tell you that it works for his age in the book:)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12332 comments Thanks, Karen!

message 40: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments Thank you, Karen!