Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2017 > 20.2 Canadian Women

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6140 comments 20.2 Canadian Women

In honor of Emily of New Moon and Station Eleven, read a book written by a woman born in Canada.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12296 comments Here is a list of Canadian born women authors currently in our database. Of course, you are not limited to this list.

message 3: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2287 comments Can we read a book that has the genre childrens on it for this task? I am thinking of "The Story Girl"

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12296 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Can we read a book that has the genre childrens on it for this task? I am thinking of "The Story Girl""

The usual rules apply. If it is shelved at BPL as YA/Juv and has a low lexile, it will be eligible for the task, but not for styles.

message 5: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2287 comments okay, as long as it is eligible for the task.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12296 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "okay, as long as it is eligible for the task."

I didn't look at the specific book.

message 8: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2287 comments Here is the book link for "The Story Girl" The Story Girl

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12296 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Here is the book link for "The Story Girl" The Story Girl"

Thanks, yes, Montgomery is on the list already.

Ed wrote: "Karleen Bradford ?"

Yes.

message 10: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1908 comments Padma Viswanathan was born in Nelson, British Columbia, Canada

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12296 comments Deedee wrote: "Padma Viswanathan was born in Nelson, British Columbia, Canada"

Yep, on her GR profile. I get these when you post a book.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12296 comments Deedee wrote: "Padma Viswanathan was born in Nelson, British Columbia, Canada"

But what did you plan to read by her. We could also use this thread for ideas and recommendations.

Same with you, Ed. What are you hankering after with Karleen Bradford?

message 13: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1908 comments I've had The Toss of a Lemon by Padma Viswanathan on my TBR forever

message 14: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2411 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Deedee wrote: "Padma Viswanathan was born in Nelson, British Columbia, Canada"

But what did you plan to read by her. We could also use this thread for ideas and recommendations.

..."

There Will Be Wolves

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2471 comments These women are all on the list, but if you are looking for a book....

I plan on reading: The Stone Carvers (I read The Whirlpool last fall season).

I have recently read and enjoyed (a lot!) these books:
The Outlander
Half Blood Blues
any Louise Penny

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12296 comments I have Louise Penny's first book penciled in - it's one of the reasons I asked about her series in the socializing thread a few weeks back.

I liked The Outlander, too. One of my favorite authors is Alice Munro, and another is Margaret Laurence. I'm hoping to get to others this season as I'm exploring books by Canadian women this year.

Luck by Joan Barfoot
The Russländer by Sandra Birdsell
Road Ends by Mary Lawson (I have read another by her, so fully expect to like this one)
Paris Stories by Mavis Gallant

But my pencil was sharp, so who knows if I'll get to all of these.

message 17: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 2 comments I found this one

Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan

message 18: by Katy (new)

Katy | 911 comments Shannon wrote: "I found this one

Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan"

I absolutely loved Half Blood Blues - and it's historical AND no O in the author name!

I just got into Louise Penny at the end of last season and so I am planning to rack up some multiples here :)