Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2017 > General Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments Please post any general questions about the Summer RwS Challenge in this thread.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments As we were working on your favorite books for the Spring season, Amanda noticed that some of the books had common bonds or themes. We used this idea to group the remainder of your favorites for this season's tasks.

message 3: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4572 comments Since there is no Square Peg this time, can we complete the RwS tasks twice?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Since there is no Square Peg this time, can we complete the RwS tasks twice?"

I don't know all the tasks, but I think so. It's summer and we just wanted to read. ;-)

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1109 comments When you post to a task for the third time do you get +5 or +10 for the multiple bonus?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments Beth wrote: "When you post to a task for the third time do you get +5 or +10 for the multiple bonus?"

+5 Sorry, no compounding on this - all the repeats are an additional 5 points.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1109 comments I figured that would be the most fair option, just wanted to confirm. Thanks

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments If a book isn't listed at BPL, we don't have to worry about YA designations, right? And we can read ARCs as long as they're listed with a page count on Goodreads?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments Sam wrote: "If a book isn't listed at BPL, we don't have to worry about YA designations, right? And we can read ARCs as long as they're listed with a page count on Goodreads?"

yes and yes

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Perfect, thanks!

message 11: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1399 comments Kate, it looks like one of my tasks was missed on the Readerboard. Up until task 79, this is what I posted:

Post # 38-30 points
Post # 70-15 points
Post # 71-10 points
Total 55 points

message 12: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments Connie wrote: "Kate, it looks like one of my tasks was missed on the Readerboard. Up until task 79, this is what I posted:

Post # 38-30 points
Post # 70-15 points
Post # 71-10 points
Total 55 points"

Thanks for the quick head's up. I will look at it next time I have the score-keeping database (2 or 3 days).

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1109 comments Hi Kate,
My math shows I have scored 50 points up to the Readerboard, but the Readerboard shows 60 and I'm not seeing any correction posts about the books. Could you please double check?
Thanks

message 14: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments Beth wrote: "Hi Kate,
My math shows I have scored 50 points up to the Readerboard, but the Readerboard shows 60 and I'm not seeing any correction posts about the books. Could you please double check?
Thanks"

I certainly will. Expecting to do some score keeping tonight or tomorrow morning.

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1109 comments Never mind. I found it! It kept bugging me so I went back and looked a few more times. I claimed a 20 point task but only wrote down 10 when I noting points.

message 16: by Karin (new)

Karin Is it possible to change The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime to 20.9? I was so wiped after that intense reading challenge I failed to examine the 20 point ones thoroughly.

message 17: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 12, 2017 07:02PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments Karin wrote: "Is it possible to change The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime to 20.9? I was so wiped after that intense reading chal..."

Yes, you can change a claimed task at any time. Kate has the database right now, so she may see this regardless. But to change the task for a book, post in the Completed Tasks thread. Provide the original post number (very important), the book, and the change information.

message 18: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments Connie wrote: "Kate, it looks like one of my tasks was missed on the Readerboard. Up until task 79, this is what I posted:

Post # 38-30 points
Post # 70-15 points
Post # 71-10 points
Total 55 points"

Should be correctly reflected on the Readerboard now.

message 19: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments Karin wrote: "Is it possible to change The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime to 20.9? I was so wiped after that intense reading chal..."

Got it and it should be reflected on the current Readerboard.

message 20: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments Beth wrote: "Never mind. I found it! It kept bugging me so I went back and looked a few more times. I claimed a 20 point task but only wrote down 10 when I noting points."

Glad you found this. :)

message 21: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1399 comments Kate S wrote: "Connie wrote: "Kate, it looks like one of my tasks was missed on the Readerboard. Up until task 79, this is what I posted:

Post # 38-30 points
Post # 70-15 points
Post # 71-10 points
Total 55 poin..."

Thank you, Kate.

message 22: by Karin (new)

Karin Kate S wrote: "Karin wrote: "Is it possible to change The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime to 20.9? I was so wiped after that intens..."

Thanks it is. I am happy because usually True Crime is difficult for me to find on my tbr, etc.

message 23: by Kaja (new)

Kaja | 61 comments So I finally managed to find a 9-word title for the 15-point task at Audible (UK): Meet me at Beachcomber Bay: A Delicious Cornish Romance

http://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Fiction/M...

Now, when trying to add it to currently reading, I realize that the registered title on the main edition is only Meet Me at Beachcomber Bay, however the Kindle edition (and perhaps the UK edition?) is registered with the "full title".

Will it still count towards the task as a 9-word title?

Goodreads pages: Meet Me at Beachcomber Bay
Meet Me at Beachcomber Bay: A delicious Cornish romance

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments Kaja wrote: "So I finally managed to find a 9-word title for the 15-point task at Audible (UK): Meet me at Beachcomber Bay: A Delicious Cornish Romance

http://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Fiction/M......"

No, I"m sorry. We use the most popular English-language print edition for title and page count. And, for this title, I note there are several different sub-titles - I don't know why authors do that!

Maybe someone here has a suggestion or two for you.

message 25: by Rosemary (last edited Jul 07, 2017 03:29PM) (new)

Rosemary | 2957 comments I had this one on my 21st-century women list. Here the subtitle is included on the most popular edition so I think it would work ... but it doesn't look like there is an audio book, so maybe it won't work for you?

A Dreadful Murder: The Mysterious Death of Caroline Luard

message 26: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2416 comments Would Zoya Pirzad be considered as non-western?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments Coralie wrote: "Would Zoya Pirzad be considered as non-western?"

Yes. Her mother is apparently of mixed culture, but we'll go with the Iranian, and that her father was Russian. Please remind me I've looked this up. (adding born 1952 in your post will help, too.)

message 28: by Kaja (new)

Kaja | 61 comments Rosemary wrote: "I had this one on my 21st-century women list. Here the subtitle is included on the most popular edition so I think it would work ... but it doesn't look like there is an audio book, so maybe it won..."

Thank you so much, Rosemary! I managed to find an audio book as well, so this was just perfect :)

message 29: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2290 comments Do we have any rules on using childrens books if it fits the task? I looked through and I didn't see any specific rule just on young adult.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Do we have any rules on using childrens books if it fits the task? I looked through and I didn't see any specific rule just on young adult."

If the book is shelved as Juv at BPL, then we'll check the Lexile, just like for the YA books. You can always use them for the 10- and 20-point tasks if they're long enough, it just depends on the Lexile whether you get to claim styles.

message 31: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2290 comments okay, I was thinking of reading the Little House series and if the books fit the tasks, I wanted to know if I could use them.

message 32: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2290 comments another question, is the minimum page count 100pp or 200pp

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 865 comments Would Ngaio Marsh be Non-Western?

message 34: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "another question, is the minimum page count 100pp or 200pp"

100 pages.

message 35: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments Don (The Book Guy) wrote: "Would Ngaio Marsh be Non-Western?"

No, it appears she is a New Zealander, which makes her Western for the purpose of this challenge.

message 36: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2290 comments Kate S wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "another question, is the minimum page count 100pp or 200pp"

100 pages."

okay thanks,

message 37: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1912 comments Just verifying that Nadine Gordimer qualifies as "non-western". Of European parents, Nadine was born and raised in South Africa. She lived there all of her life, until her 2014 death in Johannesburg. wikipedia Nadine Gordimer

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments Deedee wrote: "Just verifying that Nadine Gordimer qualifies as "non-western". Of European parents, Nadine was born and raised in South Africa. She lived there all of her life, until her 2014 death..."

Yes, she does. I had mis-identified her, which is why she wasn't on the list in the Quick Links post, so thank you for asking.

message 39: by Karin (last edited Jul 15, 2017 06:17PM) (new)

Karin Kate--I have a different score for me by post 557 (your last tally) that is 30 points higher. Did I make a math mistake somewhere? I had 1010 where you had 980.

message 40: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments Karin wrote: "Kate--I have a different score for me by post 557 (your last tally) that is 30 points higher. Did I make a math mistake somewhere? I had 1010 where you had 980."

Did you see this post? It may account for our differing scores. If that's not it, I will look again at my next score keeping session.

message 41: by Karin (new)

Karin Kate S wrote: "Karin wrote: "Kate--I have a different score for me by post 557 (your last tally) that is 30 points higher. Did I make a math mistake somewhere? I had 1010 where you had 980."

Did you see this pos..."

Whoops--when I saw this I thought it was the other mistake I made with those books and that I'd fixed it.

I meant to post Time and Mr. Bass. Now, if I posted that one twice as well, let me know! I am going to do an ETA for post 494!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments Yes, the GR Choice awards count as awards.

message 43: by Karin (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Yes, the GR Choice awards count as awards."

Thanks!

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 539 comments Does The Singing Bones count as a graphic novel or YA/JUV?

It has a lexile score of 910 so I have the potential of earning styles.

Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments Rachelccameron wrote: "Does The Singing Bones count as a graphic novel or YA/JUV?

It has a lexile score of 910 so I have the potential of earning styles.

Thanks!"

It will be YA with styles allowed - but please remind me when you post.

message 46: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 303 comments I've just discovered this challenge, and was wondering if I'm allowed to use books I've read since the start of the Summer season (1 June) or not. I've read a lot since 1 June, so I might not actually do so, but would be good to know if I can, or if I should only use books from 1 Aug...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments Catherine wrote: "I've just discovered this challenge, and was wondering if I'm allowed to use books I've read since the start of the Summer season (1 June) or not. I've read a lot since 1 June, so I might not actua..."

Welcome, Catherine! Yes, any book you've read since June 1 can be claimed for this challenge.

message 48: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 303 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I've just discovered this challenge, and was wondering if I'm allowed to use books I've read since the start of the Summer season (1 June) or not. I've read a lot since 1 June, so..."

You - and Kate - may regret that! ;-)

Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12340 comments We will have no regrets - we're glad you've chosen to participate! - but we will appreciate your posting as much as possible earlier rather than later.

message 50: by Karin (new)

Karin Catherine wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I've just discovered this challenge, and was wondering if I'm allowed to use books I've read since the start of the Summer season (1 June) or not. I've ..."

But one caveat--all but one also have to be started no sooner than June 1, and that one has to be at less than 50 percent. Still, you have an impressive list!!!!

« previous 1