Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Ready Player One by Ernest Cline/5 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments Ready Player One by Ernest Cline / 5 Stars

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

It had me at Ladyhawke.

Ready Player One is a pretty straightforward Hero's Journey plot with some Boy Meets Girl thrown in, but the setting and the details, especially the deep dive into 1980s pop and geek culture, make it very original. In the story, you follow the adventures of a young man with scant material resources who spends most of his time in a virtual world (the Oasis) created by a tech genius who has since died. School and recreation both take place in the Oasis. Many have eschewed the real world for the Oasis, since the real world has fallen on very hard times and the Oasis provides an escape.

When the creator of the Oasis died, he left future control and ownership of the Oasis and the fortune that goes along with it to whomever wins the final challenge designed by the creator. Our main character (Wade in the real world; Parzival in the Oasis) is playing to win.

For someone (me!) who grew up in the 80s and played Dungeons & Dragons and Pacman; read Adams, Tolkien, Vonnegut, and Pratchett; listened to Wham!, Cyndi Lauper, and Blondie; and watched Footloose, Monty Python, and best of all Ladyhawke multiple times, this book is a pretty amazing time capsule. It has hundreds of 80s references.

In addition to the 80s references, Ready Player One is heavily invested in video game culture and virtual reality, something that might form a bridge of interest between generations. It's one of my favorite reads so far this year.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments You're like the perfect reader for this!

I loved it also, 5 stars. Can't wait for the movie next year, hope it is just as good as the book!

message 3: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments Joi wrote: "You're like the perfect reader for this!

I loved it also, 5 stars. Can't wait for the movie next year, hope it is just as good as the book!"

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Joi! And I'm very much looking forward to the movie, too.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It was so great, wasn't it? The audio was fabulous. I hope they get the movie right.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8153 comments Saw this was a coming of age novel. Just a saying.

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4851 comments Ladyhawke was one of my favorite movies of the time too!

message 7: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments annapi wrote: "Ladyhawke was one of my favorite movies of the time too!"

Loved Ladyhawke.

I loved Ready Player One. I recently finished The Impossible Fortress, which is also set in the 80's. The focus is computers and coding but it was an enjoyable book, not as good as RPO, but worth a read. It definitely fits the Coming of Age tag if that one gets chosen.

message 8: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments Ladyslott wrote: "annapi wrote: "Ladyhawke was one of my favorite movies of the time too!"

Loved Ladyhawke.

I loved Ready Player One. I recently finished The Impossible Fortress, which is also set in the 80's. Th..."

Thanks so much for The Impossible Fortress recommendation. I have 1980s as one of my PBT stairs, so it would be good for me regardless.

Also, it's great to see all the Ladyhawke love! That movie made a huge impact on my personality during my most impressionable years. :) Matthew Broderick's character! So good.