What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA realistic fiction that turns into murder mystery when main character (who is a girl) gets accused of murder near the end. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison Mickey | 2 comments Hello!

I am trying to help my friend find a book she read at least five years ago. It's a pretty odd one. The story is told in first person and follows the story of a girl who is about 14 or 15 years old. This girl has an older sister with a boyfriend who is very significant to the plot. She also has a brother that is deaf.

The story starts off as realistic fiction, with coming-of-age vibes. The main character has a crush but no significant relationship. The sister and her boyfriend have a bad relationship. It turns into a murder mystery when, near the end, the main character and the sister's boyfriend get into fight. They both fall unconscious and the main character wakes up to find that the sister's boyfriend is dead. She gets accused of killing him and has to hire a lawyer. I don't want to get too spoilerly but in the end, it turns out to be the deaf brother who killed the sister's boyfriend.

Thank you for any help you can give!

message 2: by Mari (new)

Mari | 18 comments sound good when some one figures it out I will most likely add it, too

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 425 comments Dovey Coe by Frances O'Roark Dowell Dovey Coe by Frances O'Roark Dowell? From Booklist:

"Books for Youth, Older Readers: Gr. 8-12. Set in the mountains of North Carolina in 1928, this novel features an endearing 12-year-old, Dovey Coe , the third child of a poor but happy fix-it man and his wife. It is the summer before Dovey's 16-year-old sister Caroline is to go off to teacher's college in Boone, and the summer Parnell Caraway tries to convince Caroline to stay in Indian Creek and marry him. It's also the summer Dovey is accused of murder, but as she says, "I hated Parnell Caraway as much as the next person, but I didn't kill him." Dowell has created a memorable character in Dovey, quick-witted and honest to a fault. Her need to protect her deaf brother, Amos, and Caroline (and even her daddy) from smarmy Parnell is funny, painful, and ultimately terrifying. Although the mountain dialect is occasionally jarring and the courtroom drama rushed (but ultimately satisfying), this is a delightful book , thoughtful and full of substance. ((Reviewed April 15, 2000)) -- Frances Bradburn"

message 4: by Allison (last edited May 17, 2017 11:58AM) (new)

Allison Mickey | 2 comments Thank you Angela! My friend said that that is the book! Woohoo! We've been trying to find the book since 10 this morning. I'm glad it was found so quickly.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dovey Coe (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Frances O'Roark Dowell (other topics)