Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

Free on Amazon - Help please!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Ironside (julesanneironside) | 653 comments Mod
Hi guys :)

Has anyone here released one of their books as permanently free on Amazon? I realise you can no longer do this by just setting the book's price to £/$ 0.00 and that you have to upload the book else where - eg Smashwords - and Amazon will price match it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have been trying to get amazon to price match one of my books which is free on other platforms for about 6 weeks now and nothing has happened.

Any idea of how long this takes?

Or is there a better way of approaching it?

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1213 comments Mod
They aren't keen on doing it and if they do, they'll only change one market unless you have folks get after them. Your best bet is to set up different distributors with a price if zero and have others use the "report lower price" button. They're far more likely to do this if there is a lot of customer action than if the author does so. I'm not certain, but I think all we can request as authors is a temporary reduction for the purposes of promotion.

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 30 comments Be sure to chat with someone on Amazon Author Central about it. The staff there are very friendly and have resolved my issues regarding my permafree within the hour.

message 4: by Bettina (new)

Bettina Melher (bettinamelher) | 1 comments Hi, J.A.

Yes, you have to publish the book on other platforms and set the price to $0.00. Then you can “report lower price” on the actual book listing on Amazon, however this is not always a reliable way to get Amazon to price match.

If you email KDP support (kdp-support@amazon.com) and kindly ask them to change the price to match the other retailers they will do it for you. Also, be sure to include the links to the book’s direct listing on the other sites (KOBO, iBooks, Barnes & Noble… I don’t think Amazon would take much notice of a Smashwords listing alone).

Hope that helps :-)

Bettina

message 5: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Ironside (julesanneironside) | 653 comments Mod
Thanks everyone. Really helpful. I'll let you know how I get on :)