Play Book Tag discussion

Startup
This topic is about Startup
Archive: Other Books > Startup by Doree Shafrir -- 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Startup by Doree Shafrir
3.5 stars (round down to 3)

I really enjoyed this book. My 3 star rating is less a reflection of a lack of enjoyment and more a reflection of a lack of substance. It was light with a slightly serious twist (more below), poked fun at millennials, and I will completely forget it within the week. But I enjoyed it while listening!

Mack MacAllister is a 26 year old millennial with a startup company in NYC and dreams of being a multi-billionaire. He is sleeping with one of his employees, Isobel, and she has just started dating another startup CEO. Katya is on the prowl for the next big tech story, and her boss Dan is the "old guy" on the block at 39 and his wife Sabrina also works for Mack. These people all find themselves embroiled in company gossip that morphs into a breaking news story that has rippling ramifications for them all.

I liked a lot about this book. I laughed out loud at the stereotypical portrayal of the millennials (maybe stereotypical, maybe not) and I nodded in solidarity at the workplace perceptions of women and the sexual harassment that occurs on a daily basis though many people (not myself included) would never think of it as sexual harassment. I have zero understanding of the tech world or startups but that did not matter, the story was more about the people.

It was 7 hours of audiobook entertainment, but it is not a book that will stay with me. But, if you are looking for a light summer read that is easy and fun, then I recommend this book!

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3830 comments Sounds like a good beachy read! I definitely plan on reading this as a "filler" book.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Joi wrote: "Sounds like a good beachy read! I definitely plan on reading this as a "filler" book."

I think you will enjoy it as a filler book for sure!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Startup (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Doree Shafrir (other topics)