Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > June 2017-Southern Books - What will you read?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2801 comments Mod
Christina is our shelf picker for June and she has chosen the shelf of Southern books, as June is the month where Iced Tea, Soul Food, and Country Cooking. That certainly makes me think of the South. What books from the list do you find that will help you celebrate the above as well as Southern history and charm.?

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1328 comments Interestingly enough, I have no Southern books on my owned TBR (although there are several I have already read), but I have 3 on my wishlist, so I will consider reading one of them:

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Help
Breakfast at Tiffany's

Sadly, the last one isn't available for Kindle, which I find quite puzzling to be honest. I usually prefer ebooks over paperbacks, but I'm still considering.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

message 4: by D.G. (last edited May 17, 2017 04:06AM) (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I'm considering
Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12) by Charlaine Harris The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) by Amanda Stevens Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

message 5: by Kristell (new)

Kristell | 84 comments I found Safe Haven on the shelf and I'll be reading that. There were some I had already read and this one was the first on my tbr

message 6: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 2940 comments I think I'm going to read Have No Shame by Melissa Foster

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1044 comments D.G. wrote: "I'm considering
Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12) by Charlaine HarrisThe Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) by Amanda StevensSilver Sparrow by Tayari JonesThe Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater"

The Restorer is amazing. Highly recommend the audiobook as well.

Marina wrote: "Interestingly enough, I have no Southern books on my owned TBR (although there are several I have already read), but I have 3 on my wishlist, so I will consider reading one of them:

[book:To Kill ..."

All three of those are really good, Marina, although Breakfast at Tiffany's must be on there because Truman Capote is from the South. If I remember correctly, the book is set in New York City...but I read it so long ago, I could be wrong. I am surprised, though, that it isn't available on kindle.

Kristell wrote: "I found Safe Haven on the shelf and I'll be reading that. There were some I had already read and this one was the first on my tbr"

I might read that one, too, Kristell. Interestingly, I was just discussing that book and the movie made from it with my friend yesterday.

I keep saying I am going to read The Help, which I own a copy of, but I liked the movie so much, I am not sure. Alternately, I was just discussing Safe Haven yesterday, so that is another possibility. Other than that, I have always wanted to read All the King's Men, so we shall see.

As I usually do, I will probably end up reading a book that I don't even have on the list, lol.

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 144 comments Breakfast at Tiffany's must be on there because Truman Capote is from the South. If I remember correctly, the book is set in New York City...but I read it so long ago,
..."

Breakfast at Tiffany's is set in New York. It's interesting how some people shelve books sometimes.

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 144 comments I'm going to read Beautiful Darkness for this. It is a book I've been meaning to read for some time and it fits with several challenges right now. So seems like the perfect opportunity.

message 13: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1328 comments Lyn and Christina, your're right about Breakfast at Tiffany's, it is set in New York. As Lyn says, it's probably shelved as Southern because Capote is from the South.

Christina, I do understand the logic behind shelving books this way, since I do it myself: I shelve books by the author's country of origin rather than where they're set in. Admittedly, this sometimes leads to funny shelvings, like books set in China but written by Canadian authors (I'm thinking Shenzhen: A Travelogue from China). I know this sounds a little bit crazy, but that's for my around the world challenge, where I read a book written by an author coming from each country of the world :)

message 14: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Lauren wrote: "The Restorer is amazing. Highly recommend the audiobook as well."

Yup, have it in audio! I'm a big fan of Kristine Hvam and probably why I bought it.

message 15: by Bea (last edited May 18, 2017 04:26AM) (new)

Bea | 4358 comments Mod
Although there are more than 20 books in the first five pages that I have marked either on my Wishlist, GR friends recommend, or GR recommends lists, I have picked three that I had planned to read for past challenges: Cold Mountain, First Frost and The Sugar Queen.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1044 comments D.G. wrote: "Yup, have it in audio! I'm a big fan of Kristine Hvam and probably why I bought it."

I'd listen to her read the phone book!

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3390 comments Mod
The first one I spotted that caught my attention is Whistling Past the Graveyard, so I've requested that from the library. I'll keep browsing the shelf, though, and may find others.

message 18: by Kristell (new)

Kristell | 84 comments Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "Kristell wrote: "I found Safe Haven on the shelf and I'll be reading that. There were some I had already read and this one was the first on my tbr"

I might read that one, too, Krist..."

Coincidence lol, I haven't seen the movie but it is one of his books I have that I haven't read

Kristell wrote: "Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "Kristell wrote: "I found Safe Haven on the shelf and I'll be reading that. There were some I had already read and this one was the first on my tbr"

I mig..."

I haven't seen the movie yet either, but my friend was telling me that an actor that we both like is in it.

message 20: by Karin (last edited May 18, 2017 07:42PM) (new)

Karin | 794 comments Excellent. I am going to read one of the Aurora Teagarden series since at least one is shelved "Southern" but I'll get back to you as to which one when I know which one I'll be reading at the beginning of June. They are all set in Georgia, so I"ll make sure to pick one with the right shelf.

message 21: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (yesalmsot) | 78 comments I'm going to try something new and read a play: A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams.

message 22: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1328 comments Ariel wrote: "I'm going to try something new and read a play: A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams."

That's a great one, I hope you'll enjoy reading it.

Ariel wrote: "I'm going to try something new and read a play: A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams."

You know, I have never seen the movie OR read the book. Maybe I should.

message 24: by Kristell (new)

Kristell | 84 comments Ariel wrote: "I'm going to try something new and read a play: A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams."

This is the only book/play I read in school, well High School (I did like some from elementary) that I liked.

message 25: by 7 (new)

7 | 11 comments I'm going to go with The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers. It looks like a short, fun and charming read!

message 26: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "You know, I have never seen the movie OR read the book. Maybe I should. "

Marlon Brando as Stanley in that white t-shirt is something to see. ;)

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3390 comments Mod
I see Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter has tree on the cover, so I might add it to use for Scattershelves.

D.G. wrote: "Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "You know, I have never seen the movie OR read the book. Maybe I should. "

Marlon Brando as Stanley in that white t-shirt is something to see. ;)"

I'm looking forward to seeing it!

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (becnelli) This month I'm picking a classic that has been on my TBR shelf for far too long. I plan on reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

Becky wrote: "This month I'm picking a classic that has been on my TBR shelf for far too long. I plan on reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee."

It is a great book, Becky. I am thinking that I should read the recent followup.

message 31: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 693 comments I think I'll read Taltos by Anne Rice. I've had it in my shelves for a couple of years and I would really like to know how the Lives of the Mayfair Witches trilogy ends...

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (becnelli) It is a great book, Becky. I am thinking that I should read the recent followup. "

Lyn - You'll have to let us know if you read the recent follow up. I was just reading about it on Harper Lee's Wikipedia page and the article discusses whether it was a first draft to To Kill a Mockingbird.

Becky wrote: "It is a great book, Becky. I am thinking that I should read the recent followup. "

Lyn - You'll have to let us know if you read the recent follow up. I was just reading about it on Harper Lee's Wi..."

I will be sure to do that, Becky

message 34: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I flagged post #34...

message 35: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 144 comments D.G. wrote: "I flagged post #34..."
I did as well.

message 36: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 793 comments I'm going to read Miss Julia Hits the Road this month.