The Rough South discussion

Ron Rash and David Joy

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Robinson (goodreadscomairliner) | 10 comments Does anyone have a recommendation of what to read by Ron Rash or David Joy?

message 2: by Idabel (new)

Idabel Allen (idabelallen) | 8 comments I just finished David Joy's Where All Light Tends To Go. I found it a good, easy read. The setting rreally comes through good, the plot moves along well enough. I thought it was a nice introduction to David's writing. I don't think you could go wrong with this book.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Robinson (goodreadscomairliner) | 10 comments Idabel wrote: "I just finished David Joy's Where All Light Tends To Go. I found it a good, easy read. The setting rreally comes through good, the plot moves along well enough. I thought it was a nice introduction..."

Thanks for the recommendation. I may check that out.

message 4: by Maxwell (new)

Maxwell | 14 comments I have read "Where All Light Tends to Go" and "Serena" by Ron Rash. I enjoyed both and want to explore more. However, I tried to watch the movie version of Serena and it was just awful.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Pisarcik (ianpisarcik) | 1 comments Jason wrote: "Does anyone have a recommendation of what to read by Ron Rash or David Joy?"

Hard to go wrong with Ron Rash. I think his short stories are even better than his novels (though his novels are terrific). I think One Foot in Eden and Serena are his best novels.

message 6: by Jason (last edited Jul 06, 2017 05:14AM) (new)

Jason Robinson (goodreadscomairliner) | 10 comments Ian wrote: "Jason wrote: "Does anyone have a recommendation of what to read by Ron Rash or David Joy?"

Hard to go wrong with Ron Rash. I think his short stories are even better than his novels (though his nov..."

I just recently finished The Ron Rash Reader and I thought the short stories, as well as the poetry were excellent. I was slightly less enthused with the novel excerpts- but very solid over all.

message 7: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 17 comments I'm in the same boat -- about to read my first rash novel -- for what it's worth, i am going with "one foot in eden" --