2009 A to Z authors discussion

"I" Suggestion

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (last edited Nov 29, 2009 01:00PM) (new)

Sara | 13 comments I was looking for an 'I' suggestion and went thru people's lists. I had originally thought I would read a John Irving novel but after reviewing the lists, I found Isay's "Listening is an Act of Love." Great Read!! I tried to go back and find whose list I found it on but I was not able to find the one listed. Anyway, thanks for whoever listed it. It was a book I might not have otherwise found.

I would recommend this book to everyone. It is a collection of stories from everyday Americans. Isay set up a recording box in Grand Central Station and then also had facilitators tour the country with a mobile recording station. They visted prisons, Indian reservations etc... People interviewed their parents, grandparents, spouses etc. It touched on the Depression, civil rights, 9/11, Katrina, AIDS, child rearing, adoption and much more. It was a wonderful read!

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 25 comments Thanks, Sara. It was me. NPR has a free weekly podcast with a story each week, and that's where I first heard about the book.