Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

69 views
Archived Threads > Do You Buy A Book Because Of The Hero/Heroine Picture On The Cover?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6524 comments Mod
I don't buy a book, because of the picture on the cover. I would rather not see a picture on the cover, because I like to imagine how the hero and heorine would look. Sometimes the people on the cover doesn't match the people in the book.

If I like the back cover description and prologue, then I'll buy a book.


message 2: by Sharon (last edited Aug 02, 2009 12:51PM) (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments Sometimes the picture on the cover really gets my attention, but I also have to read the back and a certain amount of pages.
I have bought IR books for the cover before.

Sometimes I am so desperate to take something home to read it doesn't matter lol


message 3: by Davina (last edited Aug 02, 2009 09:58AM) (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Arch wrote: "I don't buy a book, because of the picture on the cover. I would rather not see a picture on the cover, because I like to imagine how the hero and heorine would look. Sometimes the people on the co..."

Heck, yes! lol

Though this rarely happens. The most recent occurence took place when I purchased Lora Leigh's Nauti series. The hero on the cover of Nauti Nights, though you can not see his face (and I think that's awesome!), is superfine. Every now and again I pick up that book to lust after his pic a little. My husband finds it very amusing.

All that being said, in the vast majority of cases, the pic on the cover will have no effect on my purchasing or not purchasing a novel. The story must grab my attention one way or another.


message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user Yes, sometimes if a cover really catches my eye I will be more inclined to pick it up, but I usually read the back and a few pages if I can. I really like good covers, LOL. Some of them appeal to my artistic side while the naked-torso covers appeal to my I-will-jump-you side, LOL.

Plus, it's so satisfying when a book is as good as its cover. You can say, this book doesn't just have a great cover, it's great inside too!


message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments Even though they don't always get them right, I prefer books with the hero and heroine on the cover, or at least one of them.


message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
new_user wrote: "Yes, sometimes if a cover really catches my eye I will be more inclined to pick it up, but I usually read the back and a few pages if I can. I really like good covers, LOL. Some of them appeal to m..."

I love a beautifully painted cover. Like NU it's the artist and art admirer in me. I will honestly admit I have bought books for their covers, but since I've been burned, I really read the blurb first. I won't buy a book just for a cover if I don't think I'll like reading it.

Usually the book doesn't really match the description of the people, but I make up my own descriptions anyway.

I get kind of bored with the countryside pictures that are in vogue now with historical romance. I still like a tasteful clench cover. :)


message 7: by JeanieandJayha (new)

JeanieandJayha | 139 comments no although the cover may cause me to pick it up and read the blurb...


message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments The title will make me read the blurb.


message 9: by Loni (new)

Loni | 405 comments An eyecatching cover may snag my attention long enough to bother with checking out the back page and running skim-through to see if it's worth risking without reviews.


message 10: by Davina (last edited Aug 04, 2009 04:52AM) (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Good lord, have you guys seen the cover of Erin McCarthy's Hard & Fast? WHERE were these men when I was on the market?!?

I'm getting this book. There's a book bought solely on its cover alone. I wonder if this is the same Erin McCarthy that wrote the Promises series for Ellora's Cave. I tried to check but EC's website is down. Anyway, if she is the same Erin then likely I won't get burned for making such an impulsive, superficial purchase! I really liked the Promises series, though I've only read one of the books so far.


message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
I think that's Sarah McCarty who does the Promises series.


message 12: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Sarah, that's right. Thanks.

Did you see the cover of Hard and Fast, Michelle? Now why can't my hubby have a 8pack like that...?


message 13: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It really depends on how the blurb reads to me.

Marie


message 14: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Simone (papercuts) | 28 comments I prefer to imagine the leads for myself, so torso shots are great for me! But if there are full pictures on the front, it won't stop me from buying it.


message 15: by LaVerne (new)

LaVerne (lavernethompson) | 77 comments If I don't know the author, then of course the cover is the first thing that will capture my attention. Then I'll read the blurb. If I'm still not sure I'll look at an excerpt or the few paragraphs, to help me decide. But no question the cover gets me to inspect the book.


message 16: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 2000 comments Mod
I used to buy some SF/Fantasy books based on the gorgeous covers and ended up with some good reads. A lot of the older ones had some great looking paintings and I had no idea who the artist was so I had to grab the books just to have a copy.

Now I sometimes see a romance that just too yummy a cover but the blurb has to catch me too before I buy. Thankfully we can save covers now (woo hoo).


message 17: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 2000 comments Mod
Okay this cover caught my eye and I would buy it based on that (of course the blurb sounds great, too).

http://www.dorothykoomson.co.uk/index...

Has anyone read Dorothy Koomson? I'm liking the sound of each of her books. I'm waiting for the Chocolate Run to arrive. I love her UK covers because they aren't afraid to put an AA heroine on the cover like the US ones are afraid of (or in the case of the one above, an IR couple).


message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
I'd like to know what you think of this one, Rae. I'm a little worried the endings aren't quite HEA for IRR.


message 19: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 2000 comments Mod
Aww they aren't? Bummer. I'll probably have to read it when I'm in a mainstream fiction kind mood then.


message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
I could be wrong. It's kind of what I've gathered reading some of the reviews. I could be way off though.


message 21: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6524 comments Mod
That's a pretty cover.


message 22: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 126 comments The cover does make a difference to me. I can not buy anything where the cover is too steamy because I have a very curious six year old. My motto is if I have to hide it, I just rather not have it in the house, life is easier that way. When guys look too over the top with cascading hair and shirts falling open, it looks a little too effeminate and throws of the mood. So sad to say, but I do judge a book by it's cover.


message 23: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 2000 comments Mod
Danielle wrote: "I could be wrong. It's kind of what I've gathered reading some of the reviews. I could be way off though."

It does read a bit chick-lit/women's fiction rather than romance (risk of no HEA). I shall poke around to see more info. But the cover is very swoon worthy and full of "aww". :-)


message 24: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 2000 comments Mod
J. wrote: "The cover does make a difference to me. I can not buy anything where the cover is too steamy because I have a very curious six year old. My motto is if I have to hide it, I just rather not have it ..."

I'd have to agree. I don't like highly sexual books and usually the cover gives a good idea of the content. If the cover model is a bit wrong it does throw things off too yeah. Sometimes it can go the other way for me and I'm like "must have" but then I have to stop myself and look at the blurb hehe.


message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
Rae wrote: "Danielle wrote: "I could be wrong. It's kind of what I've gathered reading some of the reviews. I could be way off though."

It does read a bit chick-lit/women's fiction rather than romance (risk ..."


Yeah it seems to be more chick-lity to me as well.


message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
Rae wrote: "J. wrote: "The cover does make a difference to me. I can not buy anything where the cover is too steamy because I have a very curious six year old. My motto is if I have to hide it, I just rather n..."


I like a cover that is artistic and a bit subdued as far as sexual content. Some of the covers are way out there.



message 27: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 2000 comments Mod
Danielle wrote: "Rae wrote: "J. wrote: "The cover does make a difference to me. I can not buy anything where the cover is too steamy because I have a very curious six year old. My motto is if I have to hide it, I j..."

I agree, Danielle. I've seen some covers that look like the photographer said "okay, now have sex!" and then took a snapshot. Eek!

Sometimes there isn't enough brain bleach. :-(


message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
Rae wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Rae wrote: "J. wrote: "The cover does make a difference to me. I can not buy anything where the cover is too steamy because I have a very curious six year old. My motto is if I hav..."

Totally LMAO!!!! :)


message 29: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 2000 comments Mod
Lol I hang out on LJ way too much I think. They're rubbing off on me. :-)


message 30: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 2000 comments Mod
Thanks Eugenia for the rundown she actually sounds pretty good. I'm liking more meatier books nowadays and I wouldn't mind tackling some mainstream. Would you say The Chocolate run has an HEA? I'm waiting for that to arrive as it will probably be my first Koomson. And also how about The Cupid Effect?

Thanks in advance. :-)



message 31: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 126 comments I thought more about the type or cover I like. I like one that looks like it could be framed and put on the characters desk at the office. Definately a fan of the PG covers.


message 32: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
Rae wrote: "Lol I hang out on LJ way too much I think. They're rubbing off on me. :-)"

My sister is the same. She has the most interesting sayings because of those LJ folks. She cracks me up.


message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
Oh those covers are so cute to me too, J. The couple that was on the Newlywed Game last night would make a great IR couple for books. They were both cute but not in a glamorous, unreal kind of way. They will have some adorable kids.


message 34: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1130 comments Covers do grab my attention especially in sci fi genre. But if the synopsis doesn't grab me- well it goes back to the shelf


message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
Justine wrote: "Covers do grab my attention especially in sci fi genre. But if the synopsis doesn't grab me- well it goes back to the shelf"

I agree, Justine.


message 36: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Aug 26, 2009 02:10PM) (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 2000 comments Mod
Woo hoo. Good to know which ones have the HEAs. Can't wait until Chocolate Run arrives.

That's completely fine with me. :-) I've been taking a bit of a break from the romance genre lately because I want some more meatier stuff and this sounds like just the thing.

Thank so much Eugenia!

ETA: Eek! I hope that didn't sound weird. I still love my romance books but I'm just switching it up lately. ;-)


message 37: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
I read around too. I like to mix it up. A lot of paranormal romance, some series romance, some historical romance, some classic horror, weird tales, young adult, you name it.

I've actually started reading more historical romance again. It's my first love, and I got sucked into paranormals because they are very interesting with the world-building, and I got tired of Lord Rake and Miss Innocent Virgin storyline with the historical regencies. I try to read the HRs that go out of this tradition. I am a huge medieval romance fan, and also western romance. I'm not much for chick lit but I will give Dorothy Koomson and the Amber Katz series that Michelle recommended a read.


message 38: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 2000 comments Mod
Eugenia, okay good. I didn't want to sound like I was putting down romance or anything. :-) I hear ya, sometimes a little variety is fun. I'll definitely let you know when I read it though.

Danielle, I so agree. That keeps each genre fresh for me too or else I start to get reading lethargy. :-) I'm not really into chick lit either but I read one that was actually pretty good. Pushing 30 by Whitney Gaskell. It had the younger woman older man theme that I love and the story was pretty well put together and not too schmalzty like I feared.

I'll have to swing back to historicals soon. I gathered up a few that I want to read but by the time they arrived in my mailbox, I was on to the next genre! Grr. Lol.


message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
I keep a Harlequin Historicals subscription, because there are always guaranteed little gems in there. I've been trying to get some of those into my monthly reads between those dreaded, soul-sucking paranormals that have consumed my life. LOL.


message 40: by new_user (new)

new_user *is also soul-sucked*


message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
I'm glad I'm not alone, NU. :)


message 42: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
Okay I'm a little curious why we couldn't see the face of the hero on this cover? Could it be that he's Asian?

Mergers and Matrimony (Silhouette Special Edition) (Silhouette Special Edition) by Allison Leigh

I hate how Harlequin caters to the narrow-minded attitudes of Middle America.

Here are other books by this same author:

A Weaver Wedding (Silhouette Special Edition) by Allison Leigh

The Bride And The Bargain (Silhouette Special Edition) by Allison Leigh

All He Ever Wanted (Silhouette Special Edition) (Silhouette Special Edition) by Allison Leigh

I could be conspiracy sister here.


message 43: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6524 comments Mod
I have the first book and third book. I haven't read any of them yet.

Harlequin can be bias.


message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
I think they were afraid their sales would go down if they had an Asian man in a clinch with a White woman. I could totally be wrong.


message 45: by new_user (new)

new_user Could be, could be. Publishers have gone to great lengths before to avoid showing a non-white face.


message 46: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6524 comments Mod
Thank goodness, I am a writer and I can write my own story. If I could, I'll do my own covers too. WEll, I have for some fan fictions. But, real covers I am talking about.

To bad I can't draw a body and although, I could always draw my own characters.


message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
I can draw but it doesn't look as good as the typical covers. Good idea though, Arch.


message 48: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1130 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Okay I'm a little curious why we couldn't see the face of the hero on this cover? Could it be that he's Asian?

Mergers and Matrimony (Silhouette Special Edition) (Silhouette Special Edition) by Allison Leigh

I hate how Harlequin caters to the na..."


And once again I ask, why is middle america running things?


message 49: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7304 comments Mod
Because I think that Harlequin considers Middle America as the core audience for their product.


message 50: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments Harlequin covers suck. They look like they got stuck back in the 50's.

Harlequin is like any other big corporation. They focus on where they get the most sales. Because their covers suck, then the squareheads who live in that area buy them, so that's why they keep doing them. These people come out in droves to vote whereas you have too many artistic types in the big cities who don't care to vote or buy certain products. This is why Middle America appears to run things.

I buy based on covers. I noticed if you're a new writer, you want to have an awesome cover because that's how people will find you. First the cover, then the blurb. If you notice, most of the big name writers have the worst covers because people look for their names alone.


« previous 1
back to top