Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Destined For An Early Grave - SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Aug 02, 2009 07:19AM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Since people in the group are split, and some have read this book and others haven't gotten around to it yet. I decided to give a spoiler and a non spoiler thread.

This is a SPOILER thread. Feel free to discuss any aspect of the book that you would like.

If you would like to talk about the book without details being spoiled, please head over to the non spoiler thread. Click the link below to get there.

Click Me ~~> Destined For an Early Grave- No Spoilers

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN THIS BOOK DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER!!

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments LOVED this book!!!! I can't believe that Frost finally decided to have Cat made into a full vamp. But of course she's a weird vamp??? lol. I don't know how I feel about that part of it

I think it's hilarious that Cat's mom ends up a vamp. It's so ironic!! But she better not try to off herself since poor Rodney had to die for her to live. I liked his character and he provided humor for the book.

I thought the dreamsnatcher was quite annoying. I don't know what anyone else thought about him.. but he was also kinda wussy. lol. Not the most impressive evil that Frost could have come up with. But oh well!

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee Thielman | 9 comments I kind of like that Cat isn't a normal vampire. It makes it more interesting, Cat can just never be normal! And I seriously LOVED Vlad. How he would just sleep next to her and was trying to protect her from Bones. And oh my dog I totally was like heartbroken when we thought Bones was sleeping with other women!! I was like NOOOOOOOOO!!
It'll be interesting to see how Justina plays out as a vampire. I'm so sad Rodney had to die. As annoying as Justina is, it was nice for her to have someone care for her.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Well, since spoilers are allowed here I just want to say I thought it was really sad when Rodney bought the farm. I really liked him and there had to be something special about anyone who could love Justina! I was going to be really pissed if Cat killed her like Justina wanted after Rodney died trying to save her. The whole Cat thing....I haven't decided what I think about that. But I loved Vlad in this book! (posted under wrong Frost topic originally!)

message 5: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I think that one of the things that bugged me about Cat being changed was why? I mean, didn't she have this discussion with Bones in book #2 and he was so matter of fact about how there really wasn't any need for her to ever change because she could still live forever with him. So, why did it all of a sudden become a big deal that she hadn't wanted to change yet?

As for the dreamsnatcher. I just had to laugh when he thought that all he'd need to do is show Cat her memories of the time that they were together and she'd just fall down at his feet. What a cocky SOB!!! He was a jerk when they were together, and Cat was a young, scared girl. Well, she's certainly not that anymore! All that he accomplished was making sure that Cat never wanted to be with him again.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think the whole part with Cat being changed was not so much that Bones thought she needed to change over, but more the fact that the only thing holding her back was her fear of vamps. He knew she really thought of vamps as being evil, which meant that she also thought he was still evil. I think that's what pissed him off. He thought he could just wait her out and she would change her mindset and she didn't really.

But I don't know about everyone else, when they were having that fight I was getting upset lol!!! And then when they kept talking about how he was being seen with women and stuff, I was so MAD at Bones. I mean I kept saying to myself that he wouldn't do that, but then I kept talking to myself saying that he really was done with her. I'm glad she took off and went with Vlad. Although I wished she would have put up a tad bit more of a fight when Bones showed up to take her away from Vlad.

message 7: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB | 0 comments Did anyone read the UNBOUND anthology yet? I think there's going to be a Bones story in that anthology. I ordered it from Amazon, but it doesn't arrive until tomorrow for me. I'm curious what the story is going to be about...

I was wondering if it takes place while Bones is in New Orleans during DESTINED FOR AN EARLY GRAVE?

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee Thielman | 9 comments i just got it! I'm going to read it tonight. It's got Bones and is in NO, but that's all I know so far!

message 9: by Desiree (last edited Aug 26, 2009 10:34PM) (new)

Desiree | 15 comments Great book! I really loved that it was a bit different than the others. However, what was with Bones? I know they were arguing a lot and who doesn't enjoy a good make up now and then... but, anyone else feel like he kinda was a complete headcase near the end? I never felt like all their quarreling and odd behavior ever was mended or repaired...kinda stuck with me in the end :/

Probably more mending to come for book 5... I felt Frost really is pulling away from the Romance now and this and the action is what really drew me to the series.

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) FlibBityFLooB wrote: "Did anyone read the UNBOUND anthology yet? I think there's going to be a Bones story in that anthology. I ordered it from Amazon, but it doesn't arrive until tomorrow for me. I'm curious what the..."

My copy came last Saturday, but HUNTING GROUND and some others were in front of it. I bought it mostly for the Bones story as I don't care for Kim Harrison and am really not all that familiar with the other writers.

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee Thielman | 9 comments The Bones story is actually set before he meets Cat. It's a good little story, but short stories always leave me wanting more!!!!

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I have to look into that story and see if I can find it. I would love to read more about Bones.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Desiree wrote: "Great book! I really loved that it was a bit different than the others. However, what was with Bones? I know they were arguing a lot and who doesn't enjoy a good make up now and then... but, anyone..."

I thought the same thing! I was sad that Cat didnt' have more faith in Bones' love for her, even though it seemed like he was cheating, I knew he wouldn't do that to her. But still, I wished there was more of a make up part where he confessed his undying love for her again or something, because I think she needed to hear it again. I also missed some sex in this book - again, one of my favorite things in this series!

Also, so now that the dreamsnatcher is dead, can Bones be her real husband? I'm excited to learn more about her abilities too! She wasn't around any humans I can remember, but I wonder if she can read their minds if she drinks Bones' blood, the way she has Vlad's abilities?

I am still a HUGE fan of this series and can't wait for the next and her spin off series! Bones is amazing and I love their love story! I love the action and the sex and am never bored! When are they going to make this series into a movie or TV Show?!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments I'm with Kelley Anne and Desiree. I didn't expect Cat turning into a vampire albeit a weird one and I'm a bit annoyed about it. The big bust up between Bones and Cat felt like the ultimate break-up and when they got back together there was little reassurance of each other of their love, passion and trust to begin repairing their relationship. In my opinion this was the worst book of the series though I did enjoy Cat blowing up Gregor's head and her relationship with Vlad.

message 15: by Narnies (new)

Narnies Mmmm I love this series as well, and I really loved this book, the only part that i didnt overly enjoy was how Dreamcatcher came into it, it just seemed like an easy was to make another book.

Otherwise im the same as most people with being heartbroken when Cat and Bones broke up and i definately liked Vlad as well. I really liked how Cat became a vampire halfway through the book and we got to experience it with her, hardly ever happens in books now.