The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Hey, totally Newbie's Here!!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Hello. My name is Michelle. AND I'm a student living in South Korea. When finding some information of the book The Great Gatsby which I'm reading now, I luckly came across this web site, today!!I'm little nervous of meeting some people who speak different languages and of making grammatical mistakes, so I wish all you can help me to learn English and your cultures.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo Welcome Michelle! Dont be nervous everyone here is friendly :)

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Hi, Jo. Thanks for your welcome. Do you live in the Uk? I've been there few years ago, and I thought it was a beautiful country..

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 215 comments And here's my official welcome Michelle...and don't worry about grammatical mistakes. We're all super nice here!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Jennifer wrote: "And here's my official welcome Michelle...!"

Oh..Jennifer..I wish you were not tired of posting comments for me. You already posted several things for my questions, and I really appreciate it.

message 6: by Michelle (last edited Aug 02, 2009 07:38AM) (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Fiona wrote: "I would like to read The Great Gatsby one day soon .

"

Yeah, You should read it. It's boring at the first time though..It becomes interesting and breathtaking in some parts.
Anyway, I'm very glad to meet you, Fiona.

message 7: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10025 comments Mod
Hi Michelle, welcome to the group. As the ladies mentioned above, dont be worried about your grammatical errors or getting to know us. Use the folders we have to help you find what you are looking for, and you'll have a blast!

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Hi,Lori. I'm sorry again, for asking recommendation of book-list in "What are you reading" section. I had no idea of the rules of posting stuffs.
Anyway, thank you for encouraging me to learn English and to seek some good people!

message 9: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (psyko_kittie12) | 117 comments Hello! Michelle! Welcome to the group. And don't worry about your grammatical errors. I am from America and still don't have it quite right LOL!

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca  (rebeccama) Welcome to the group Michelle! I'm sure you are going to love this group- I know I do! Everyone is so friendly and there are some great conversations and games that get started- it's a book lovers dream! lol! Enjoy!

message 11: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Reed (mreedjournals) Rebecca is definitely right. Friendly people, good conversation, and really fun challenges and games! Welcome!

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Thanks everyone, I'm so much relieved as you all say so. I was little freaked out, you know this group is pretty huge, but now, I feel very comfortable in here as a member of this group. Anyway, nice meeting you guys:)

message 13: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Welcome to the group Michelle. I've heard 'The Great Gatsby' is a great book. It is on my tbr but I haven't been able to read it yet.

message 14: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi again Michelle. I wish my students' written (and I imagine spoken) English was as good as yours!! How's Gatsby coming along?

What are you going to read next? Something for pleasure, or another school read? I have just read A Thousand Splendid Suns, which I really liked, and The Book Thief, which I liked too. YOu can also check out Fiona's group Wild Things http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1... which deals with Young Adult books where there are lots of great suggestions for things to read. Enjoy!!

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Hi, Atishay. How are you doing? :)
Well, In fact, I'm having a really hard time reading The Great Gatsby, but I have found it very amazing so far. I was told that the book reflected the situation of America in "Roaring twenties". That's why it is worth reading for me to understand the US...

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Hi, Hayes. It is very considerate of you to encourage me. Your words just inspired me with redoubled courage!!

I'm reading Chapter8 of TGG. And I'm planning to read "1984-George Orwell" next for school read. But I haven't decieded what to read for pleasure...
I read "the Kite Runner" written by Khaled Hosseini who also wrote "A Thousand Splendid Suns"(Which you suggested..).Hum..It's hard to find what to read..
I really need to check Fiona's group Wild Things which you mentioned...

message 17: by Edith (new)

Edith | 256 comments Hi Michelle! Welcome, as you can tell everyone is so supportive and nice. I know you'll really enjoy this group.

message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Hi Michelle!

I find that the more I read, the better my grammar and spelling become ... I'll bet that happens to you as well !!!
Welcome to our group!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Welcome Michelle!!

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 215 comments Fiona, you would recommend ICTC AND I totally 2nd this recommendation!!!

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Hi, Fiona and Jennifer. Reading your recommendation, I really want to read "I Capture the Castle"!!

Q : Is it about LOVE STORY ??

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Hi Edith. As U can see, I'm already having a gooood time with everyone!!

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Hi, Suzanne! I appreciate your encouragement. I really hope someday I speak and write fluent English. That's why I joined this group and read many kinds of books..

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Hey, Jamie!

message 25: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Hi Jamie and Welcome!

message 26: by Dust Jacket (new)

Dust Jacket (Vaishivi) | 3 comments Hi Im Vaishivi..I am new to this group...Would love to know all of you.

message 27: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Michelle and Viashivi,

Welcoe to the group!!!!

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Hi and Welcome, Vaishivi and Lisa :)

message 29: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments Hi Michelle. Welcome! We are friendly people here, so please don't worry about anything.

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Kang | 29 comments Hi, Popularandi. I'm really happy to meet you. U know what? I already enjoy being here !