The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #292 - Cozy Space Opera

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1483 comments Mod
We've got more of Game of Thrones TV coming, the Arthur C. Clarke Award nominees, and our thoughts on why The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is the opposite of epic in the best way possible.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2017/5/...
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/11125408

message 2: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 880 comments People rightly talk about how much TLWtaSAP has in common with Firefly but I thought that the universe in the story was much more Mass Effect.

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (SeanSandulak) | 388 comments I became a patron just so Veronica would have to try and pronounce my name.

message 4: by Louie (new)

Louie (RMutt1914) | 647 comments FYI- Tom, Veronica was referring to this moment from the second Thor movie.

message 5: by David (new)

David Holden (farrakut) | 685 comments By the way, I was *both* Davids mentioned during the Quick Burns--haha!

message 6: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (NokomisFL) | 287 comments What a coincidence as I'm both NokomisFLs mentioned, too.

message 7: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 212 comments Brendan wrote: "People rightly talk about how much TLWtaSAP has in common with Firefly but I thought that the universe in the story was much more Mass Effect."

Farscape is also a common comparison.

message 8: by Dara (last edited May 12, 2017 10:42AM) (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2016 comments Aaron wrote: "Brendan wrote: "People rightly talk about how much TLWtaSAP has in common with Firefly but I thought that the universe in the story was much more Mass Effect."

Farscape is also a common comparison."

Farscape is a solid comparison but that show was a lot more frakked up (in a great way) than TLWtaSAP.

Edit to add: Now I really want to watch Farscape.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark (mmtz) | 802 comments Dara wrote: "Edit to add: Now I really want to watch Farscape."

I didn't realize that Netflix dropped Farscape. At the moment, it only seems to be available for purchase at Google Play, and only the first four seasons.

message 10: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2016 comments Mark wrote: "Dara wrote: "Edit to add: Now I really want to watch Farscape."

I didn't realize that Netflix dropped Farscape. At the moment, it only seems to be available for purchase at Google Play, and only t..."

Boo. I'm glad I bought the blu-ray set when it was on sale.

message 11: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (Nevets) | 919 comments Mostly off topic, I was watching clone wars the other day, and a quick note came up saying it was going off Netflix in June. I'll mention this in the Rebels thread as well.

message 12: by Louie (new)

Louie (RMutt1914) | 647 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "Mostly off topic, I was watching clone wars the other day, and a quick note came up saying it was going off Netflix in June. I'll mention this in the Rebels thread as well."

Back in February, I binged my way through Seasons 3-6 on Netflix because it was suppose to be leaving in March. Now, I am suspicious. Is it just a ploy to get people to watch? *raises eye brow*

message 14: by Sean (new)

Sean | 296 comments Louie wrote: "FYI- Tom, Veronica was referring to this moment from the second Thor movie. "

Sorry, but that moment was a call-back to this moment from the first Thor movie.

And re: Game of Thrones spin-offs, per Martin himself, the proposed series do not include an adaptation of the Dunk & Egg stories. Yes, I'm also upset about this. But, given Martin's reasoning, I can't argue with the decision.

message 15: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3595 comments I really liked the little quote "for" Joanna at the end.

message 16: by Phil (new)

Phil | 939 comments terpkristin wrote: "I really liked the little quote "for" Joanna at the end."

Yes, I'm glad they did that even though it did bring a tear to my eye again.

message 17: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1483 comments Mod
Sean wrote: "I became a patron just so Veronica would have to try and pronounce my name."

But you already KNOW I definitely can't.

message 18: by SarahP (new)

SarahP | 5 comments Dara wrote: "Aaron wrote: "Brendan wrote: "People rightly talk about how much TLWtaSAP has in common with Firefly but I thought that the universe in the story was much more Mass Effect."

Farscape is also a com..."

I actually started to rewatch Farscape after reading that book... it made me feel so nostalgic for it!

unread topics | mark unread