Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2009-08 Consider Phlebas - violence - spoilers

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments One of the things I quite like about "Consider Phlebas" is the sheer enthusiastic mayhem of it. Anybody else feel that way? Is it funny or just frightening when the Free Company is shooting the hell out of itself in the Temple of Light or crashing a ship four kilometers long into an iceberg that's even bigger and tougher, or when Horza is flying the "Clear Air Turbulence" out of the GSV by lasering and then crashing through wall after wall after wall?

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3152 comments Mod
There was a lot of mayhem, as you put it, like a big budget adventure movie that careens from one battle or disaster full of special effects to another with even more spectacular special effects. To me that was less disturbing that some of the more "personal" violence--Horza fighting his way into the Free Compay or the episode with the Eaters.

I did find that the author's descriptions of those scenes of mayhem were precise and specific enough that the scenes and the actiion were easy to visualize--very well written, I thought.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Yes, I loved the sequence when Horza flew the CAT through the various compartments of the GSV, finally crashing the ship out of there. And on Shar's world, the various action sequences on the "trains" were cool, too....but in that case I almost felt like Banks was giving us too many points of view in order to keep the action going, and somewhere at the very end Horza's point of view got a little lost.

This is not necessarily a big problem with the book. It was one way of keeping the action going at the end, after all. Somewhere in that last sequence, though, I wanted to know things more from just two points of view: 1) Horza's and 2) I wanted more from the far-away Fal, who sort of put the events of this little story into Culture perspective, and yet she did so with humanity.

(Hers, and the Statistical sections in the Appendices were very nice in showing just how small this whole story looked in the Grand Scheme of things. And yet this story was Horza's whole world -- even the whole story of the end of his race.)

message 4: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine I'm not keen on "sheer enthusiastic mayhem" (although I've gotta smile at the description); I find it overwhelming and then I get frightened or disgusted. The Eaters I could have done quite well without. I found the action scenes went on and on and on, into tedium. I was wondering as I was reading if this was because of the huge scale in which they were happening. Horza couldn't, for instance, have made two or three quick turns and blasted off The Ends of Invention; it was kilometers wide and deep, with comparatively enclosed spaces. Anyways, it was because of the violence that I almost chucked the book on a few occasions.